Tough Decision To Make..

squall1989

Gil
I just finished Playing FF8, and iv played all the others besides 9... I cant decide whether to play 9 now or make a start on x HD.

Is 9 an awesome game, Something about its always kept me from playing it...looks a bit childish but perhaps im completely wrong!!

Is 9 an awesome game, Something about its always kept me from playing it...looks a bit childish but perhaps im completely wrong!!

That is just the graphics talking, yes it does have a "cartoonish" feel to it thanks to the graphics, but really it is one of the best FF games (in my opinion)
The story is very great, the characters (minus one or two of them) are amazing, the villain is truly a master if villains, and the story is very dark (kinda like FFX, not with religion, but in other ways)

So my opinion, yes play FFIX.

Kool, il make a start tonight.. perhaps something a bit more laid back will be nice anyway after ff8.. all the drawing system and omega weapon stressed me out a bit... think my play time was over 110 hours lol!

Kool, il make a start tonight.. perhaps something a bit more laid back will be nice anyway after ff8.. all the drawing system and omega weapon stressed me out a bit... think my play time was over 110 hours lol!

jeez... yeah umm... FFIX if you wanna do everything can actually be pretty time consuming, and I believe the FFIX "superboss" is actually harder than the FFVIII one, but that is just a matter of opinion,

Hope you are enjoying it (y)

If you haven't played 9 or 10 I'd say 10 is the better of the two but if you've played 10 before then give 9 a go. It's a good game.

Play them both :).
9 is a great game & proclaimed as "one of the best".
However i Believe that X is better than 9, but now talking about it makes me wanna play through 9 again because it is indeed a great game :)

I think he wanted to know which he should play first...

I say IX. It's bright and colorful, while successfully being the darkest Final Fantasy ever, it's main plot drive is about handling mortality, what do you do if you find out you're going to die? I don't want to spoil too much, but death is everywhere, and it's heavy. I mean, (spoiler alert) the antagonist commits genocide...because he thought it seemed more convenient than the alternative. X was full of sloppy (not lazy) writing and lacked in the development department, the only characters that actually grew up weren't even the main plot characters. IX is pretty much in my top five video games of all time, not just Final Fantasy. Really, it's not tough at all when you know what IX has to offer, it's fantastic in every way...other than 2 characters. Everyone who played IX knows which two I'm talking about :hmph:

I think he wanted to know which he should play first...

He implied he'd already played X though when he said ' iv played all the others besides 9'
so on that basis that's why I recommended IX. Like I said I think X is better but he already knows what to expect. IX as a new game is worth playing over X 'cause he could fall in love with IX whereas he knows what X is all about.

That was directed at Zero ^^ I completely agree with you even if our preferences of IX vs X differ.

I say play 9 next. Like the others have said, it'll be a new experience for you and it's the best FF. That's not subjective; it's FACT :britt:.
X HD is like a slightly new experience too though, because of the new content and soundtrack.

Meh, go for 9 and see why Vivi is the bestest character in the worldiverse :monocle:.

I say play X first. The new HD version is awesome and even for someone who already played the original it still felt fresh. In my opinion, X is the better of the two, but I don't really like any of the Ivalice games so I may be a little biased.

I say play X first. The new HD version is awesome and even for someone who already played the original it still felt fresh. In my opinion, X is the better of the two, but I don't really like any of the Ivalice games so I may be a little biased.

Ivalice games? IX is completely unrelated, it's Gaia and Terra...

Ack! I meant in the sense that IX goes back to the roots of Final Fantasy in regards to the different races and general feel of the game. It's like playing a more glorified RPG in the vein of the FF tactics. If the OP likes the feel of the tactics and Ivalice games in general, then he would like FF IX, otherwise he might want to venture into X first.

But Final Fantasy Tactics only had humans, the female mime didn't look fully human, but nothing was mentioned. Sure there were monsters and you could get them on your side, but it wasn't much off the traditional that we see in most games. Not to mention it was actually not very normal for the roots of Final Fantasy to have multiple races, FFII introduced another race, but they were essentially an alternate human.. Are you sure you aren't mistaking IX for XII?

I am a big fanboy for FF9 so I would automatically say play FF9. I have played FFX HD recently finished the main story in 26 hours with over powered characters so the last 1/4 of the game became a cake walk. Didn't use summons or overdrives from Ixion onwards haha. The story in FF10 is pretty good but I still feel it pales in comparison to FF9.

Personally I feel like FFIX is hugely underrated, I just started a new playthrough today. The game has tons of callbacks to previous games in the series so if you're a fan of the older games you'll feel at home in IX, whereas X sort of ushered in the new era and style of Final Fantasy which I'm not as big a fan of.

But Final Fantasy Tactics only had humans, the female mime didn't look fully human, but nothing was mentioned. Sure there were monsters and you could get them on your side, but it wasn't much off the traditional that we see in most games. Not to mention it was actually not very normal for the roots of Final Fantasy to have multiple races, FFII introduced another race, but they were essentially an alternate human.. Are you sure you aren't mistaking IX for XII?

I really meant Tactics Advance, which had the different races. IX, and as you mentioned XII are so similar to that game that I seem to just lump them all together. Sorry for any confusion. Either way, I never really liked the direction that those games went in terms of the characters and races. It's just my opinion and of course other people are entitled to theirs. I just shifted towards the direction games like VII, VIII, and X went in terms of the world and its inhabitants, who were mostly human like the earlier installments.

IX going back to the roots, so to speak, was a step down, in my opinion.

This thread isn't about your opinion Archer, i highly doubt the OP cares that humans alone only made up a minority of IX's cast and races let alone would let it deter him from wanting to try the game.

Last edited:
You will not regret playing FFIX. Actually I think you'll kick yourself for not having got into it earlier. It may have the look of a cartoonish game through graphics and cover-art, but the story is tremendous and you will be sucked in fast, no later than the end of the 1st disc I believe.

Lol you've played them all except 9 and 10? Those are like 2 of the best.

9 is a bit more childish in some ways. It's certainly more childish than 6, 7, 10 and 12. I'd say it's more similar to 4 and 5 in terms of it's maturity.

Back