Information Reputation System

I actually have a question. On another forum I went to that also used vBulliten a few years ago, they had it set so you could see the rep you had given out in the past, could we possibly get this option? I'd like to see the rep I've given out over the years, just to reminisce on old times.

actually i've seen forums that only offer positive reputation too. if we're going to give rewards based on reputation, that has to go.

Oh no, you got two negative rep from two negative posts one week ago :britt: How dare I be doing that? I give out plenty of positive rep, too :monster:. 2 days is one hell of a spree!

you gave me two negs within less than 24 hours :pooley: i've had to at least rep 20-25 people before in order to rep the same person again. which means you musta went on a rep spree and that was one helluva hassle you went through for lil ol me :ari:

to the admins, i don't understand why my rep score is small but my actual numbers are in the millions? :hmmm:

you gave me two negs within less than 24 hours :pooley: i've had to at least rep 20-25 people before in order to rep the same person again. which means you musta went on a rep spree and that was one helluva hassle you went through for lil ol me :ari:

to the admins, i don't understand why my rep score is small but my actual numbers are in the millions? :hmmm:

They are 42 hours apart, and it only takes 5 rep to spread back to the same person :hmmm: Also limited to 5 rep per day, so I don't really get what makes this such a huge spree...

They are 42 hours apart, and it only takes 5 rep to spread back to the same person :hmmm: Also limited to 5 rep per day, so I don't really get what makes this such a huge spree...
you're not limited to 5 people. i've repped 20+ people the other day just because. and unless there's a bug in my account, to rep kira, i had to rep 19 people before i could rep her again, so where do you get five from? :hmmm:

still, the great length you went to is quite flattering my privileged cis male

Really? We're incapable of dropping it? Last warning. If you have a problem with a negrep, contact an admin and they'll delete it for you. If you don't have a problem with one, stop creating a problem. If you just want to complain, do it somewhere else.

you're not limited to 5 people. i've repped 20+ people the other day just because. and unless there's a bug in my account, to rep kira, i had to rep 19 people before i could rep her again, so where do you get five from? :hmmm:

still, the great length you went to is quite flattering my privileged cis male

It's five...Simple as that. The length was not great, I typically hand out rep anyway, 'twas but a stroll :sir:

EDIT: Didn't see Jesse's post til after, I'll stop now.

Really? We're incapable of dropping it? Last warning. If you have a problem with a negrep, contact an admin and they'll delete it for you. If you don't have a problem with one, stop creating a problem. If you just want to complain, do it somewhere else.
I already did :hmmm:

What you're seeing is not your rep score but your rep power, which is how much rep you give others when you give them positive rep. Negative rep is about half of that.

I actually have a question. On another forum I went to that also used vBulliten a few years ago, they had it set so you could see the rep you had given out in the past, could we possibly get this option? I'd like to see the rep I've given out over the years, just to reminisce on old times.

At the moment, that's not possible. If we do get that enhanced mod installed, it might be though.

actually i've seen forums that only offer positive reputation too. if we're going to give rewards based on reputation, that has to go.

Hmm, don't see the reason why it 'has' to go based on rewards, although personally I don't mind either way. I guess it would make the job easier on us since we won't have any issues about users possibly abusing the negative reps, when it probably isn't the case...or it could be, but who knows, etc etc. It's just sticky. Dealt with that more than I can count in the past, and it's just awkward all the same.

Honestly if members don't mind the negative reps going, then alright. But we won't make this decision unless majority wants that.

Awe, well it's not a must do for getting given rep to be seen. As far as removing negative rep, I'm...quite indifferent. There is no reason I would say it must be removed, but no reason to really keep it either. Anyone in the negatives can simply reset, now, so it's not really impacting given the way the overhauled rep system will work. People can truly respond negatively from it, but that's to be expected with any negative feedback, really.

I don't particularly see the use of the Reputation System on this forum in general since there are Thank and Like options available which pretty much accomplishes what +Rep is supposed to do. The idea behind +Rep is quite redundant and pretty much leaves the Reputation System as the only way to disagree with or "Dislike" a post which of course isn't what is trying to be accomplished here.

On other vBulletin forums that use a Reputaion System, it it pretty much viewed as being the way to thank, agree with or like a post; which I gather was what FFF had previously before they adopted the current Thank and Like options. Anyways, what I'm trying to say here is that people are more likely to take the path of least hassle by clicking a Like/Thank since it is faster and notifies members of the positive feedback quicker where the Reputation system does not.

The Reputation System also doesn't give the scope to simply acknowledge a post since this is not the intent of the system as a whole, however, on this forum where everything has an advantage, pratical use or payoff, the Reputation System's only obvious use was to disagree with a member without making a post about it.

Whereas I love the angle that is being explored with the Reputation System now, I don't think its fundemental usefullness has been addressed. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to get rid of the "Like" option if we were to seriously utilise the Reputation System to its full potential. Whereas a "Thank" is an acknowledgement of help, advice, etc, the "Like" option pretty much stands in for everything (bar disagreement) that the Reputation System is attempting to do. I understand that the "Like" option is a show of general agreement and approval for a post whereas the +Rep is supposed to give credit to the content and the thought put into a post, but I don't think there is enough consideration given to the difference between the two, which is why even the most indebth posts are more likely to receive Likes rather than +Rep. I also believe that people are more familiar and fond of "Liking" something rather than using +Rep which depicts more commitment to one's agreement (I don't mean to imply people are shallow but rather less likely to opt for the more "intense" option unless they are deeply moved which doesn't happen all that often).

"So what? This should make the +Rep more valuable", is the most obvious response, however, in terms of convenience and famailiarity the "Like" option trumps +Rep everytime. Inevitably the popularity and preference for one thing results in the depreciation in the worth of the other.

"Ok Galadín, your point is?"
Basically what I'm saying that if the Reputation System is to be revolutionised then reflection would need to be done on why exactly we wish for the system to be a stronger, if not better option for members to choose. What is it that we wish to achieved that we don't already have with the Like/Thank option? Are we wanting to promote more thought behind giving positive feedback? Is it the aim to award those who put more effort into their forum contributions?
If these are the reasons then perhaps the elimination of the ubiquitous thumb might give members more of a reason to pause and consider before agreeing with something.

tldr?
• Rep system doesn't have enough purpose on this forum because "Likes" are easier to give and have immediate feedback through notification.
• Before work is put into revitalising the Rep we should consider what we want from it first.
• Getting rid of the more causal "Like" system might prompt members to give more thought behind giving credit.
• The "Salary Incentive" is a great idea but I think more promotion of the Rep System needs to happen first for it to prove popular.

Lastly, I opt to have my Reputation power reset (if it needs it because I don't see how a Rep Power of 1 really counts) since I think the system was broken the way it was. Rep Power to FFF is like Feral Chaos is to Dissidia 012...Over Powered :dry:

Fair points, Gal. ;) I do agree that the reputation system seems to be a way for members to poke/annoy others by leaving little messages via negative rep, where the members themselves have no way of deleting unless they ask an admin. In a way it's almost like visitor messages, in which members may post something negative (doesn't have to be rule-breaking) on other members' profile, except there's an option for the members to delete their own VMs, and rightly so. And I think this is mostly the reason why I would have no problem disabling negative reputation and design the reputation system in a more positive direction - to let users know you agreed/liked their post by leaving a comment, and leave it at that.

We don't have the ability to leave comments by simply clicking the 'Like/Thank' button, so I think the Rep system is a good alternative for users. I don't necessarily think that one system is (or should be) better than the other, or if one feature exist the other is suddenly useless. I'd like to think that it's all about options and preference, rather than creating a purpose as to why one feature should be dominant than the other. That was never the intention. Some don't even care to use the Rep or Like/Thank system, so it was all about giving people options while trying to encourage users at the same time. Hope that made sense. :)

I personally feel like there's nothing wrong with the system. It's how people use it. That's always the case. 1 in 10 cases there will be people who want to ruin something, and I don't think that is something you can ever get rid of.

I think the neg/pos reputation system is a very nice thing to have, however, I think "Like and Dislike" would be a nicer way to do it, considering that's something you can't leave a nasty message with. Considering we don't have that, I think the reputation system makes up for that. I believe people should be able to pick whether or not they agree with someone, and they should be allowed to let people know that. HOWEVER, I know there's always those people that take it took far with negative reputation, and I do not think the system should be abused.

Then again, it's a fine line, and it's really up to opinion, there's no factual sides to that sadly...

I'm fine with the reputation system, and I'd also like a dislike function, that way you don't have to risk getting in to a heated arguement over ONE post, and you can just show your dislike that way. But that's just me!

I personally feel like there's nothing wrong with the system. It's how people use it. That's always the case. 1 in 10 cases there will be people who want to ruin something, and I don't think that is something you can ever get rid of.I think the neg/pos reputation system is a very nice thing to have, however, I think "Like and Dislike" would be a nicer way to do it, considering that's something you can't leave a nasty message with. Considering we don't have that, I think the reputation system makes up for that. I believe people should be able to pick whether or not they agree with someone, and they should be allowed to let people know that. HOWEVER, I know there's always those people that take it took far with negative reputation, and I do not think the system should be abused.Then again, it's a fine line, and it's really up to opinion, there's no factual sides to that sadly...I'm fine with the reputation system, and I'd also like a dislike function, that way you don't have to risk getting in to a heated arguement over ONE post, and you can just show your dislike that way. But that's just me!
that is a very vague answer. your pretty much saying, it is what it is without really explainingif what it is, is actually "good" thing to have in general, just that you personally like it. the idea of a "dislike" button is also one of the things that causes animosity. negative rep is there for members to discredit, even if what their saying isn't wrong. personally, i can see the idea of it an di can see the appeal to people, but its generally something that doesn't promote friendship or discussions at all in a forum to have such a thing. as it is now, the rep system is definitely inbalance, and i noticed very well.

that is a very vague answer. your pretty much saying, it is what it is without really explainingif what it is, is actually "good" thing to have in general, just that you personally like it. the idea of a "dislike" button is also one of the things that causes animosity. negative rep is there for members to discredit, even if what their saying isn't wrong. personally, i can see the idea of it an di can see the appeal to people, but its generally something that doesn't promote friendship or discussions at all in a forum to have such a thing. as it is now, the rep system is definitely inbalance, and i noticed very well.

I wasn't answering anyone, I was giving my two cents.

Also, no, what I'm saying is is that I personally believe (and in my opinion) people should be able to positive rep and negative rep, you can't have one without the other, that would be sugarcoating in my eyes. However, I pesonally like the reputation system due to the fact you can pick up bullies fairly easy, and shut them down that way. I believe negative rep is just like a "dislike" to show you disagree, I do not in any way, shape or form think any of the dislikes/neg rep should be used to be an asshole to anyone. So in a nutshell, if there's positive there should be negative, if there's like, there should be dislike. Dislike comes over less harsh than "Oh you're such a dick, fuck you!" in a negative reputation message. (Which are completely uncalled for and those people need to grow a set)

I agree with you completely though, there is a big imbalance. A lot of our people on this forum need to grow up and see the good in what other members try to contribute rather than nitpick them on every single little detail, possible. I'm completely with you on that.

Hmm, I don't believe it's sugarcoating if someone were to give a negative reputation for simply disagreeing with an opinion. Giving a negative reputation shouldn't be used for anything than giving someone a bad reputation for breaking rules, flaming, trolling, and the likes. Something deserving of a negative reputation. I don't believe in the idea of giving someone a negative reputation in the community purely because you want to express your disagreement with that member's opinion. The more I thought about it, the more the negative reputation and its general use of "I'm giving you a negative rep because I disagree with your opinion" just didn't make sense to me anymore.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but probably should be best if done in a post. Otherwise, people get caught in a heated reputation wars privately, and in the end we have to sort issues out which is again, painfully awkward for everyone.

So with that, new regulations have been established as far as negative reputations go. After discussing things with Tia, we believe this is a more beneficial step for this community. http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/threads/60118-Reputation-System-Rules-amp-Regulations

Also, the dislike feature was already brought up in the past. While I do agree that if there's one thing, there should be the opposite, etc. However, we won't be enabling this feature. Best to just stick with what we have now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. :)

@Gal - Sorry for the delay. I will reset your rep power now.

I wasn't answering anyone, I was giving my two cents. Also, no, what I'm saying is is that I personally believe (and in my opinion) people should be able to positive rep and negative rep, you can't have one without the other, that would be sugarcoating in my eyes. However, I pesonally like the reputation system due to the fact you can pick up bullies fairly easy, and shut them down that way.
uhm no. if you personally want to use it like that, it doesn't do anything but aggravate people.
I believe negative rep is just like a "dislike" to show you disagree, I do not in any way, shape or form think any of the dislikes/neg rep should be used to be an asshole to anyone. So in a nutshell, if there's positive there should be negative, if there's like, there should be dislike. Dislike comes over less harsh than "Oh you're such a dick, fuck you!" in a negative reputation message. (Which are completely uncalled for and those people need to grow a set)
no like galion said. its far different. and if you think it is, we shouldn't have a rep system. we should have just a like and dislike.
I agree with you completely though, there is a big imbalance. A lot of our people on this forum need to grow up and see the good in what other members try to contribute rather than nitpick them on every single little detail, possible. I'm completely with you on that.
the rep system wont allow that the way it stands.

Looking at it realistically, people will always find a way to use a "good" thing to turn it in to something that's bullying, or just created to upset people. That's not the system's fault, that's the people not being mature enough to use it.

I said I'm either okay with a reputation system, or a like and dislike system, all I said was do not take the ability to give a dislike or a neg reputation away and just leave the good, people are going to lash out and find different ways. It has nothing to do with me personally, I don't go around acting like a douche to people...

And if the people that abused the system get aggravated they put that upon themselves, that's not our fault.

Mitsuki, I also don't think it should be used to disagree.

Back