Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD overall thoughts.

Shaissa

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Mog's Tent
So I played (and basically completed) both X and X-2 only thing I haven't done is the Final Mission (which I will do eventually)

But I decided to give my overall thoughts about the HD remake.

Firstly let me start off with X.

I liked that here in America we finally got the Dark Aeons and Penence, and man are they tough! You seriously have to level up to fight these guys (or find a trick to defeat them.) Minus that, the updated graphics were ok, but didn't wow me as much as it seemed to wow other people.

Now X-2, the stuff they added to me was 100% useless and in fact annoying. the extra dresses were almost useless, and I couldn't stand the "catching Monster" stuff. really I rather keep the three girls in, they were way more useful than being able to catch the monsters or people and training them. On a side note to this story, am I the only one that is creeped out by Brother :box:

I started the Final Mission thing, and just so people know, it will assume that you did 100% in Final Fantasy X-2, even if you didn't. (y)
The little I did so far, is...ok I guess, just an addition to a game already struggling with a focused story in my opinion.

Now to the Eternal Calm and the Bonus audio.

First Eternal Calm, was a nice set up that leads into X-2, and introduces you to New Yevon and the Youth League along with what made Yuna start her journey in X-2.

Now the Bonus audio... I have to say this... 100% dreadful! I mean it basically is saying "that Eternal Calm thing...yeah not true, and everything that happened in X and X-2 from killing Sin to all the X-2 stuff actually was pointless!" Also it adds unnecessary questions to X, that Square does not intend to answer anyways, so I don't know why they bothered with this Audio.

So in conclusion, the only redeeming factors are the fact that everyone finally got last mission, and that America got the Dark Aeons and Penence in X. Everything else is a drag to put it nicely.

I'm not even quite done with X yet but I love it so far. I dont remember the last I have spent this many hours on a game. I have played over 100 hours in X so far and just got finished with all the celestial weapon stuff. I must say this game is in my top favorites of the series and I never thought I would say that. After I play X-2 I'll go more in depth on my feelings of both games but yea definately loving most of everything in X except for the annoying mini games!!

I already had pretty much everything in X but thankfully I really liked the updated graphics. To begin with the eyes seemed a bit strange but after a while I didn't notice at all. I liked the additions in X-2, I thought the new dresspheres had their uses just like many of the others, neither of them were my favourite but neither were they terrible. I prefer them to the songstress dressphere at the very least. I liked the creature capture thing as well, though I didn't like using creatures in battles outside of the arena, but the rewards for completing tournaments were really great, and you could get some awesome accessories early in the game. The fiend tales were also cute, I really enjoyed them, though I never got them all. I'm playing through Last Mission now and I'm enjoying it. It feels very much like a side quest and the gameplay is nothing at all like I expected but it's fun and has a nice epilogue feel to it. So it seems I'm a lot happier with the additions than you were, which is good considering I already had both games still working and a PS2 to play them on.

Super lazy upscale and Tidus' face model is trash, but I can't complain about handheld blitzball. Would've preferred a full remake on a better engine but SE didn't even do the port themselves since they're too busy with the Next Big Mobile Game. Update soundtrack is A+ as well. Might try for the platinum trophy since I haven't played international before, working on Monster Arena right now.

I'm only about a third of the way through X, but overall I'm happy with the update. In a lot of ways it's much better in person than in comparison screenshots. This isn't just a matter of a few extra pixels and polys; the animations are smoothed out, the shadows are dynamic, the music is a terrific improvement, the menus are 110% easier on the eyes, and of course the widescreen format is much more comfortable to look at. I even feel like the new character models fit the characters better than the originals. Unfortunately it's still a mixed bag, though. SE made sure to smooth out the animations on key cutscenes and closeups, but less important story moments still show the jitter that was common in the early days of the PS2. NPCs are by and large still pretty low-res, though they are better than their PS1-like originals. And while tons of textures are higher resolution, that doesn't necessarily mean they're higher detail. A lot of them actually look smoothed out to a lower degree of realism than the PS2's more gritty (albeit pixely) feel. Aside from my very first day with the game I wouldn't say I've really had much of a 'wow' factor over the visual enhancements at all.

In short, yes it is an improvement, but it's much closer to what FFX could have been from the beginning than what proper PS3 games are. But for all the ways I could point out SE didn't try as hard as they might have, I've ultimately got no complaints. FFX remains a terrific and highly enjoyable game and would be worth the price alone. With X-2 and all the bonuses it's definitely a great package. Loving it.

Hm. Well, I've already gotten to the point of Sin, and right now I'm leveling up characters to attempt the Dark Aeons and Monster Arena fiends. So, as of now, I've plugged just short of 350 hours in the game. So far, I'm in total love with the game, as if I wasn't already without it being remade. xD

BUT. The graphics are great. In my opinion, yes they
c o u l d have done better with them, but it's great that they've improved them like so and still kept the original nostalgic feel of the game. The sound is amazing, I love the tracks throughout the game. Very pleasing. I love all the additions they've made to the American version. I'm going to finish up getting everything to perfection, like the sphere grid and so on, then go on to beat the game.

I haven't gotten to X-2, but I'm sure that when I do, I'm going to absolutely love it just as I have X. I'll check out the other features as I can ( I like to go in chronological order ), and see how I like everything else I haven't experienced as of yet. ~

I just beat X yesterday and I loved it. I just need to go back and beat all the aeons, pennace and nemesis but I had to break away from it. I just got into X-2 and even though it feels like a FF chick flick so far story wise it is fun but nothing close to what X is.

Judging by watching lets plays and videos on youtube the graphical change kinda strange and weirds me out, it's like that game that you know and grew up with and have strong memories with, but everything is a little different. It just feels odd.

I don't have plans to buy it anyways, being European and already getting all the extras, which I have always hated because the dark aeons get in the way of getting rarer summons easier like Anima.

Judging by watching lets plays and videos on youtube the graphical change kinda strange and weirds me out, it's like that game that you know and grew up with and have strong memories with, but everything is a little different. It just feels odd.

I don't have plans to buy it anyways, being European and already getting all the extras, which I have always hated because the dark aeons get in the way of getting rarer summons easier like Anima.

How did the dark aeons interfere with Anima? i got him without any dark aeon issues.

If you don't get the treasure the first time you go through Besaid then Dark Valefor blocks your way.

Yeah, I didn't like that fact. xD I recently found out that I forgot a primer back in Besaid. Now I have all but that one, and I can't get the full set of them until I go get it. Looks like I won't get the trophy until I beat Dark Valefor. C'est la vie.~

Back