David Moyes sacked as Manchester United manager.

iSmiff

Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Divinus Smifficus
FFXIV Server
Lamia
For the second time within 365 days the biggest hot seat under dispute is the Manchester United one. Moyes was sacked today after a dreadful tenure in charge after just a year despite being handed a 6 year deal initially. Rumours suggest there was a clause limiting compensation to 1 year rather than the full 6 if Moyes failed to secure Champions League football in his debut season.

so who are the favourites to replace him? Louis Van Gaan is favourite, Klopp is second favourite despite him ruling himself out this morning and player-interim coach Ryan Giggs is third favourite with Legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson 4th favourite.

Thoughts? Do you think it was harsh? Who will replace Moyes and where will Moyes end up..?

I find it amusing though! I largely liked Manchester United because of their stellar performance, which I attribute to Sir Alex Ferguson's managing. Thought the man was highly respectable... A legend in his own right. I kept an eye out occasionally for Man U's performance due in large part to my fascination with his leadership. Which was why when he departed, leaving Moyes in his place, I wondered if his successor will be able to live up to his name.

Sadly, that seemed to not be the case. Quite a pity, really, considering Man U pretty much dominated the football scene under Fergie. Still, I suppose Moyes took the reins of the club with really high expectations heaped on him. After all, Man U did dominate under Fergie. I guess fans were expecting to see more of this domination persist. Though, to be fair, I don't think the negative spotlight on him is completely unwarranted though. There were matches that Man U lost that ought not be lost... Can't name them off-hand, but I think those played in Old Trafford counts.

Then again, in his defence, maybe he wasn't as strict as Fergie? I sort of wonder if given more time, can he eventually bring Man U back up?

Ah well, I digress. Personally, I'd love to have Sir Alex Ferguson back. But he is pretty old... Probably high time he let someone take his place, to be honest. Besides, I think he wouldn't be interested to take the place again... Won't mind if I get proven wrong regardless. As to others... I don't really care any more by now. Feels like the end of an age for Manchester United.

Not surprising at all. The boots you need to fill after Alex Fergusons departure are pretty massive and theres always gunna be high expectations. I think everyone assumed after a shaky start that hed start to get better results but he was only consistent in losses. The Everton result was the final nail in his coffin. That was probably a pretty hard loss for him to swallow.
I think Moyes would enjoy success at smaller English club where expectations are already fairly low or even somewhere in the SPL. Whoever does replace him though is gunna be under pressure to get United back to one of Europes top teams. Theres only one Alex Ferguson and i dont see him coming back. One of footballs best and definitely Man Utds greatest ever manager and his biggest mistake was picking Moyes.

i think it's ridiculous of man utd. a friend of mine made a great point of pointing out brendan rodgers' situation last year. liverpool quite largely underperformed last season, but stuck with rodgers and it looks highly likely that they'll go on to win the title this year. i think the board have caved in under the fan pressure, rather than stick with their decision. i think the best thing the board can do to follow up now is to hire an unknown, which would take a certain degree of the pressure off

I thought it was crazy when I'd heard but not exactly unexpected. But I think anyone was going to struggle after Alex Ferguson, the team etc are used to him because he's been there so many years and he's had so much success that anyone was going to be under lots of pressure.
I think they should have given him at least another season, the team is never going to stabilise if the managers keep getting swapped about and all new managers should have some time to prove themselves.

I was expecting him to get the sack, but I was hoping they'd keep him around for at least another season, see if he could find his feet. I wonder who'll be dragged in now. I don't see Giggs taking over as Manager, but there has been more unlikely things to happen.

The squad itself... I can't tell whether it's because Moyes had them under-performing, or whether Fergie could get them to over-perform. I watched them against Everton at the weekend and I just wasn't seeing it(I also thought Fletcher retired 0.0).

I think it's natural for something like this to happen to a team that, let's be honest, has been top of English football for the last 20 or so years. The golden age can't last forever.

Though-after this season- I think any pressure to live up to Fantastic Fergie will be shaken off.

i think it's ridiculous of man utd. a friend of mine made a great point of pointing out brendan rodgers' situation last year. liverpool quite largely underperformed last season, but stuck with rodgers and it looks highly likely that they'll go on to win the title this year. i think the board have caved in under the fan pressure, rather than stick with their decision. i think the best thing the board can do to follow up now is to hire an unknown, which would take a certain degree of the pressure off

I completely agree with the Rodgers point and I think the board should probably have given him an additional season but then in comparison Rodgers had a well defined playing style, the players put in the effort for their manager (even Suarez) and Rodgers was always full of the right rhetoric regardless of results. Moyes had none of this, in fairness its hard to make a case for him being the man to trust with the hundreds of millions apparently being invested in rebuilding project. I think he was given a bad hand by Ferguson, who I think would've struggled himself given the circumstances.

Yeah but from the boards point of view they can cut their losses after a season with a 1 season performance related clause (which he failed by dialing to qualify for the champions league) or risk having to pay out 6 seasons worth of wages if they want to sack him next season..

I think he deserved more time too but I'm not too unhappy he's been sacked. He was out of his depth; he wasn't used to managing so many egos. The only positives would be signin Rooney to a long term deal and signing Mata.

Plus you'd argue the expectations are higher at Man U than Liverpool and finishing 7th is unacceptable. A team that won the league should not be finishing 7th.

I was talking to my friend about this last week and I said that I wanted Moyes to get another year with a decent transfer window, the last one was completely fucked up, largely not Moyes' fault, unless there was a chance to sign a much better manager who would have otherwise gone to another club. At that time it was rumoured that van Gaal would take over at Spurs after Tactics Tim left. I would have been okay with keeping Moyes or replacing him with van Gaal during the off season.
However, the manner of his sacking has been very badly handled and I'm slightly ashamed of the club, there are four meaningless games left and they could have buried the news during the world cup. Instead they treated him like shit. It's been a bad season, made worse by the fact that Liverpool will probably win the league, and if not them then Chelsea. Arsenal might even win something.

The only positives would be signin Rooney to a long term deal and signing Mata.
The only reason Rooney was signed for the extortionate 300,000 pounds a week is because united had to. It was a statement of financial power and that they could keep their big players. Mata is a great player but not exactly what we need. Perhaps it was supposed to have a similar effect to Ozil at Arsenal.

I think he was given a bad hand by Ferguson, who I think would've struggled himself given the circumstances.
A lot of people think that Ferguson retired to avoid having to rebuild the team. Ferguson has to take some of the blame for allowing the team to be in need of such a drastic rebuilding, three new defenders, a couple of midfielders, a few wide players, maybe a striker or two depending upon what happens during the transfer season. The last decent central midfielder he signed might have been Carrick. It's not his fault that Darren Fletcher got sick, nor is it entirely his fault that Jones and Smalling haven't improved as much as people would hope.

i think it's ridiculous of man utd. a friend of mine made a great point of pointing out brendan rodgers' situation last year. liverpool quite largely underperformed last season, but stuck with rodgers and it looks highly likely that they'll go on to win the title this year. i think the board have caved in under the fan pressure, rather than stick with their decision.
I don't think Liverpool particularly underperformed last year over the course of the season, they lost games that they shouldn't have, but they didn't expect to get in to the top 4, they may have wanted to finish above Everton, but the difference between sixth and seventh is usually only the Europa League, which no one (from England anyway) wants to be in.
Also the board haven't caved in to fan pressure. Except for some idiots hiring a plane, people have been generally supportive of Moyes. The board are the Glazers and all they want to do is make money. I'd happily take another couple years of mediocrity if that got rid of them. The loss of Champions League cost United 50 million of your English pounds, which is money they can't take out of the club. The Glazers sacked Moyes because he cost them money. Owners like the Glazers or Abramovich don't give a fuck about the fans.

I think Moyes would enjoy success at smaller English club where expectations are already fairly low or even somewhere in the SPL.
Moyes is too good for the SPL.
He's still a very good manager, despite all the revisionist history about his time in charge of Everton. I'm fairly confident that wherever he goes next he will be successful.

I think Moyes is being made a scapegoat. A lot of what went wrong wasn't his fault. Firstly Gill and Ferguson should have never left at the same time. Congratulations to the Glazers for being supremely incompetent. Which meant that the first transfer window, the most important one was a joke, culminating in the farce of fake Man United people trying to sign Ander Herrera from Bilbao.
The squad needed a major overhaul, that is Ferguson's and the Glazers' fault. Nani was good two years ago, which may have been the last time Valencia was a good player. Ashley Young was great in his first few games for united but has been shit since. Ferguson's mismanagement of Pogba allowed one of the best young players in the world to go Juve for free. No defensive Midfielders except for the sick Fletcher. Evra and Vidic about three years past their best, Ferdinand is about 5 years past his best.
Yes, we won the league last year, but that was because all the other teams happened to be even worse than we were, our rivals for the title were managed by mediocrity's Roberto Mancini and Chelsea who decided to fire Champions League winner Di Matteo and replace him with fact fan Rafa.

Moyes needs to take a lot of the blame for the way the players have played, but so do the players, who have often looked like they don't give a shit. I don't know why Moyes insisted on playing Ashley Young so often when he needs to be sent to a glue factory, or Sunderland which is where most not very good united players end up.
Moyes underperformed but the reason his poor first season was the mismanagement of the club by the Glazers.

I blame Woodward more than I do Moyes. The guy is clueless, the loss of David Gill was almost as big as fergie. Moyes biggest mistake was changing the back room staff. I'd prefer Klopp, I'm not sure if want Van Gaal. Rooney was almost as important as a new signing and mata was only so expensive because he was bought in January somewhat as a panic to get us into the champions league and bought from rivals too forced the price up too. I think Moyes isn't as bad as people are making out but 7th is unacceptable. I think the reason he was sacked is because it was leaked so they had to act. Had it not leaked I think it would have been done in summer.

In all honesty I think Moyes deserved to stay at least one more season. Yes things have been looking a little bleak and he recently stated he was in the middle of getting summer transfers lined up. I don't actually put all my blame on the manager. Man Utd have a quite old squad now and everyone seems to be relying on these old players to put out the results and that just isn't going to happen. I am a Liverpool fan and I am not the ones that like to see Man Utd die etc but they seem to be heading the direction we did 4 years ago in which we had an old squad and it took a long time to bring some youth into the side. I think Moyes for Utd was like Hodgson for us, he signed a good couple of players but ultimately needed at least one more season to prove a point.

If you would have asked me if Liverpool could finish 1st and win the league or even 2nd I would have told you to stop daydreaming. But Rodgers has done an exceptional job and we have quite a youthful team now and most of all a lot of English players which is great for our country. I have had a few Man Utd friends even state they should have Ryan Giggs be the permanent manager which would be interesting to see.

I feel bad for Moyes. I feel like he was undermined by the lack of effort from his players. If Man Utd don't get the right guy in soon this poor season of theirs could turn into 3 or 4 with a revolving door of managers and a lot of money down the drain.

I can't see any less than 5 or 6 players leaving United this season, which means we need about 7 brought through. This summer should be very interesting to say the least.

Players out: Vidic, Evra, Possibly Rio, Possibly Fletcher, Nani, Unfortunately I think Hernandez may be leaving too :sad3:

Potentially quite a few more. Young, Welbeck, Valencia, Cleverly, Zaha.
There are rumours about RVP and Kagawa too.

I'd like Welbeck, Kagawa and RVP to stay, and for Zaha to be given a chance. However, I'm not totally against Zaha leaving, and if we get a decent offer for RVP and bring in a marquee striker, like Cavani or Costa I wouldn't be too upset.

I'd like besides RVP, I want all our attacking players to stay. Which means with everyone fit, Rooney starts on the bench. It is, as has been obvious to everyone, centre midfield which is the problem. I really want Arturo Vidal, which is incredibly unlikely plus one other. It's really a matter of who is available, as we aren't in the champions league we will find it difficult to get the highest quality players without spending much more than they're worth in wages, eg Rooney. Though I think with the right manager, we should be able to get back in the top 4, probably at the expense of Arsenal, unless someone buys Suarez.
The Glazers are much harder to get rid of, so we'll have to show a little leg to any rich Arabs that come along.

Back