Gil
Edgar's Tent
FFXIV
L'ulech Tia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
"Square Enix has revealed the game behind its recent teaser site, that hinted at a new ‘Ranobe-Style’ RPG, a term commonly used to describe episodic book and anime series, or ‘Light Novel,’ as it is typically translated. The game in question is School Girl Strikers for iOS, and its first details have now been revealed.

school_girl_strikers_ios.jpg

UPDATE: Gematsu reports that School Girl Strikers is coming to iOS 7 devices and higher in Japan this Summer, and will be a free-to-play title with microtransactions.
Plot details are thin, but the big cast is confirmed to include Ayaka Asai, Yu Asakawa, Kaori Ishihara, Mariya Ise.
We’ll post more details as they come.

ORIGINAL STORY:
It follows a pledge from Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda that the company will focus on core gamers and hard JRPG fans once more.

The site’s URL simply reads ‘team043,’ and includes both today’s date and a cast list. Although it’s April Fools Day, there’s really no evident joke on the page, so we’re treating this as real for now.

square_enix_team043.jpg
[the above image is now replaced with a full website]

We’ve also got absolutely no idea what it could be. Any guesses?"

Source: VG24/7

Well, it's mobile, Japan-only, and iOS 7 exclusive (for now) which is a deal-breaker for me since I primarily use Android and only have a 4th-gen iPod Touch for Apple stuff. But considering this will be pulling from the visual novel style of gameplay I don't think it matters a whole lot that phones/tablets are the target platform. The artwork is definitely refreshing, at least. For those of you wondering what the Japanese in the image and website linked above says, there's not really anything major not covered in the above post. Google Translate won't help you since it's all image-based, so there you go. Overall I'd say it's a small start, but a start in the right direction.

When they said new heavy JRPG's I assumed that they meant that they were going to make Final Fantasy games like the old games again, not this weak cellphone BS with highschool animu girls.

be back soon, btw crying in room.

When they said new heavy JRPG's I assumed that they meant that they were going to make Final Fantasy games like the old games again, not this weak cellphone BS with highschool animu girls.

be back soon, btw crying in room.

Squinex was talking about all their RPG's. Give it time.
Also they were referring to the mechanics of an RPG not the setting, mood, audience, or tone of the game.
I could see people liking a feminine or effeminate tone with a teenybopper persona. Not me though lol.

Your crying in your room? That's random. If something is wrong seek out a family member, friend or talk about it in the lifestream.

Thread title confuses me. And ultimately just very, very wrong.

Nowhere on the teaser site did it say anything about a "heavy" JRPG. On the contrary it was for a light-novel game.

Just because Matsuda said some stuff, a teaser site was assumed to be for a "heavy" JRPG despite no evidence to link these two different news topics together?

Okay.

Thread title confuses me. And ultimately just very, very wrong.

I titled it that way because the VG24/7 article linked the 'heavy JRPG' comments with the new site, and because as Spoony pointed out a game with JRPG elements that's not Final Fantasy is still a valid JRPG. I don't think this is the extent of what SE intends to do--not by a long shot--but it's the first time in a long while we've seen them address their Japanese audience this way. Whether it's your style or not, this is hardcore otaku stuff, and that can only mean good things for Final Fantasy when they get around to giving it the 'heavy JRPG' treatment.

Back