What does the Lodestone mean in FFXIV?

RedXXX13

Gil
I played FF4,5,6,7,8,9 and now I'm coming back and it seemed like a lot has changed. I'm curious about the lodestone in the title of FFXIV. What does it mean? Is it a place? Is it like Materia?

The only other time I've heard of the word lodestone was in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book series called 'The Lodestone Book Series' by Mark Whiteway. In the series the characters use this Lodestone with the properties of negative matter (Hermann Bondi) to gain great powers. (Awesome series you can actually get the first book for free here or on Amazon)

Anyways when I heard FFXIV I thought that they had taken the concept from the Lodestone Book Series, but after looking at a bunch of sites I really couldn't get a definite answer. All I could find was that there was a cave named lodestone cave or something like that. Can someone please explain what the lodestone is all about?

Ok so it's like a facebook for your avatar. hmmmmm.... and Lodestone was just the random word they decided to use for this phenomena? Why lodestone?

They could have used anything check out my zeitgeist, expgen, saucerlog...etc (these aren't great examples, but it just surprises me that they are using a word of something that already exists to describe something completely new.

Does lodestone have any other meaning throughout the FF series?

Back