FFXIV should have stayed the way it was

Seagoat

ShinRa Guard
Gil
Am I the only one who feels this way? FFXIV 1.0 is severely underrated in my opinion. I can understand the reasoning behind making ARR... but that's essentially a XIV-2, and to shut down the 1.0 servers is a stupid mistake in my opinion. This means now it's technically impossible to play all the main series games.
Anyone else feel that 1.0 was fine just as it was? I've gotta know if I'm alone in this or not

I feel like there are few who will agree with you.

I joined this community a little over 7 years ago and the consensus then was that Final Fantasy Online was not real Final Fantasy because you couldn't just buy it and play it offline. It is unlikely that opinion has changed much today. There are people who play the game, but I'm not sure that they sit down and enjoy it the way that they would have enjoyed another Final Fantasy game.

I sure as hell don't :wacky:

I didn't play 1.0, but a lot of players allude to how terrible it was and how good it was that it was changed. They were not happy about all of the changes, but they thought the new direction of the game was an improvement compared to it's predecessor.

I don't think you really missed anything in 1.0. If you really wanted to see the events of 1.0, it's probably possible that you could find some VoDs of it somewhere.

video on demand

you know, like a youtube video

Aren't the same quests still in the game anyway? I thought for the most part, the game mechanics, environments etc. was all revamped, but the quest lines mostly untouched. Feel free to correct me, I just kind of assumed that what with the legacy players and all.

Never played 1.0, though, and it was only by a stroke of luck that a beta key was shared with me that got me into XIV. Been playing it since I got said key, and I enjoy the game as much as I enjoyed the other FFs I've played. Really rather like the direction of the game, and apparently I'm not alone. Those of us who are playing ARR have stayed put for longer than any other recent FF release. Like L, I only hear about how bad 1.0 was, and never played it myself.

No, the new quests are all set after the quests from 1.0
As I said, this essentially makes it an FFXIV-2

I miss some things from 1.0. I think there will always be that nostalgia aspect to games though. Especially good ones, you play them and play them again until they are wore out, then you play them again but only for a few moments before you get bored. You miss the experience that you had with the game and want to relive it, but you can't. = /

I think the only one discernible advantage FFXIV 1.0 had - as far as I know of - is its seamlessness. You didn't have to go through multiple loading screens just to get from Limsa Lominsa to the furthest side of La Noscea. The world as a result wouldn't feel as compartmentalised and seem as confined and small as ARR does in comparison.

It would be great if they made console vacuum-packed versions of the games that had some multiplayer features in them.

Personally, I'm rather glad it didn't stay the way it was. The only thing I wish ARR had that 1.0 had is bigger zones, and come expansion time, I get that. The original game was a weird mess that most people didn't like. There's a huge reason as to why no one played it. There's a huge reason as to why they had to destroy it and bring it back as what is essentially an entire didn't game. Had FFXIV not been changed, then SE would have eventually had to shut it down because, let's be honest here, next to no one was playing it. The game was different, I'll give it that much, but it wasn't particularly good. It looked gorgeous, but like most AAA developers these days, they forgot what the hell optimization was and for most systems, even next gen systems at the time, had problems running it. A console release would have been goddamn impossible. ARR is great, and I love what we got out of it. I couldn't for the life of me imagine playing 1.0 as it was.

Back