Help [FFX] Sphere Grid Trophy

I'm spending so much time on my sphere grid already, it's taking forever to get these luck spheres done, that I really want to just get the armour and get these bosses done (Behamut, Yojimbo, Magus sisters and Penance are all I have left). I have plenty X-potions so that's not much of a problem. I also love using cheer so I liked that strategy from what I've been reading. I really don't like the idea of going for more HP because it does involve more sphere grid work and I feel like I've been stat grinding for forever lol

There is no chance of me going for those 2 sphere grid trophies now. So much effort! I should end up with maybe 50% of trophies once the game is completed, and I'm completely happy with that.

If I had been asked about 1-2 years ago, I would never have let the plat get away from me but lately...I'm not too bothered about the trophies for some reason. Usually.

I've never tried to get trophies in a game before lol it's only because I love FFX so much that I'm bothering with it. I just finished Tidus' grid so I'm pretty happy right now lol just got to grind for more fortune spheres to finish off everyone else's and then the only trophy I'll have left is the Penance one.

I'm spending so much time on my sphere grid already, it's taking forever to get these luck spheres done, that I really want to just get the armour and get these bosses done (Behamut, Yojimbo, Magus sisters and Penance are all I have left). I have plenty X-potions so that's not much of a problem. I also love using cheer so I liked that strategy from what I've been reading. I really don't like the idea of going for more HP because it does involve more sphere grid work and I feel like I've been stat grinding for forever lol

Yeah, don't even bother. 9999 for everyone is enough when coupled with good armor. I'd recommend looking up a video or two to see how the battle plays out before you make any commitments to a strategy. Penance is very difficult, and depending on how you play, it can take anywhere from 30mins to over an hour to beat him.

There is no chance of me going for those 2 sphere grid trophies now. So much effort! I should end up with maybe 50% of trophies once the game is completed, and I'm completely happy with that.

If I had been asked about 1-2 years ago, I would never have let the plat get away from me but lately...I'm not too bothered about the trophies for some reason. Usually.

Filling the Grid doesn't require much effort at all. You can easily kill Hornet or some other lower-end monster for attribute spheres until you have enough to pack your entire Grid. Making optimal use of all the nodes in order to maximize your character's stats is what's truly time consuming and laborious, especially if you want to try to max HP or Luck. You'd roughly need about 333HP spheres and things get dicey when you start to run out of room. Luck's hard to max not because of room constraints, but because in conjunction to farming Luck spheres, you also need to farm for the Fortune spheres that activate them. The preset Grid doesn't do you any favors, either, because most of the Luck nodes aren't even +4.

But yeah, I can understand your sentiments. I'm not usually a trophy hunter, and I don't see myself even pursuing trophies for FFX-2. Some things are just boring or irritating to do when it comes to Plats. But for FFX, it's a bit different. I want to have a "perfect" save on the PS3 as I do on the PS2. I've already done this stuff once before, so I know it's doable and I remember all my old tactics. It's just a matter of time. Plus now I can try out different approaches lol. I suppose I'm also doing it to relive "the good old days" moreso than I am for the trophy.

But yeah, I can understand your sentiments. I'm not usually a trophy hunter, and I don't see myself even pursuing trophies for FFX-2. Some things are just boring or irritating to do when it comes to Plats. But for FFX, it's a bit different. I want to have a "perfect" save on the PS3 as I do on the PS2. I've already done this stuff once before, so I know it's doable and I remember all my old tactics. It's just a matter of time. Plus now I can try out different approaches lol. I suppose I'm also doing it to relive "the good old days" moreso than I am for the trophy.

Aye, I did most things on the PS2 version too...everything but most dark aeons and naturally Penance. It's the time-consuming aspect that gets to me. A little bit of level-grinding is fine, but I don't like doing it for any longer than an hour or something. I'm way too impatient :(.

I wholeheartedly concur. Sometimes, I lose the patience to soldier on through tedious tasks. The monotony can be overpowering. I have a few games where I am one or two trophies away from achieving the Plat because they require some sort of grinding or gathering. Ni No Kuni in particular comes to mind. I need to produce 200 items via alchemy but the process for collecting the raw materials is arduous. I don't want to spend 10 hours hunting some rare golden duck in the hope that it might drop a Scroll of Truth--of which I need five!

If not for my sentimental attachment to FFX, I never would have talked to that old coot in front of the monster arena lol.

Yeah it does get very monotonous, I've been grinding for days now and I just have the sound on mute as I kill the same thing over and over again. It feels like I'm not playing a game, I'm pressing a few buttons while I watch a tv show or something on my computer lol I have no done absolutely everything else I can do in the game, I have my armour all set up, three of my characters are now maxed out on everything other than magic and their grids are full. Four more to go and then I'll be ready to take on Penance. I am so ready to be done with Penance. Even dying over and over against him would be preferable to grinding any more lol

My heart goes out to you, it really does lol. But hey, you're almost there! Just a bit more and you're home free! Then, you can start a new game and do a NSG challenge with only one character! Yay! /joking

I must say at first glance I hated this sphere grid system but now about 20 hours in I'm loving it just for the fact of how different it is. I'm currently playing V at the same time as X and switching between the battle systems is very nice. After I get done with the initial play through I plan on going back and getting trophies. If all FF games had trophies on psn I would replay all of them to get the trophies and I dont even care about trophies most of the time!! Which I guess that is a good thing cause I wouldn't have a life at all lol.

V and X simultaneously? lol, that's an interesting combination. And yes, your best bet is to just finish the game without worrying about trophies. So long as you save before the final boss, you can always go back to trophy hunt after fully experiencing the story. The last thing you want to do is get bogged down with trophies that require over 100 hours to achieve. You'll forget what the story is by the time you make it to the end lol.

Also, I just want to say that even without trophies, it's always a good idea to play FFs multiple times. You gain greater appreciation for the characters and their stories the more times you play.

V and X simultaneously? lol, that's an interesting combination. And yes, your best bet is to just finish the game without worrying about trophies. So long as you save before the final boss, you can always go back to trophy hunt after fully experiencing the story. The last thing you want to do is get bogged down with trophies that require over 100 hours to achieve. You'll forget what the story is by the time you make it to the end lol.

Also, I just want to say that even without trophies, it's always a good idea to play FFs multiple times. You gain greater appreciation for the characters and their stories the more times you play.

Yes it is a interesting combo between those 2 games lol. I get the nice cinematic story with X and a old school FF feel at the same time. Next up is a replay of tactics combo'd with FFX-2 most likely :)

Yes I do agree with you on the replay value of FF games which I have done with VI and VII many times. I actually have it on my to do list to play through many of the games for a 2nd time especially IX since that turned out to be tied as my favorite. I'm just saying if they had trophies for all FF games I would play even more just to 100% the games. I would actually attempt the Excalibur quest in IX if it had a trophy lol.

You mean the Excalibur II quest? Lol, my friend and I tried to do that once. We failed horribly. If that were a trophy, it'd be the ultimate SE troll. I don't think it'd be possible on the PS3, though, because you need to eject the disc in order to stop the timer during FMVs.

You mean the Excalibur II quest? Lol, my friend and I tried to do that once. We failed horribly. If that were a trophy, it'd be the ultimate SE troll. I don't think it'd be possible on the PS3, though, because you need to eject the disc in order to stop the timer during FMVs.

They could make it so that you could skip FMVs though :)

So I've finally finished the Sphere Grid and now have only Anime and Penance to defeat and I'll be completely finished with X once I go kill Sin! It's been long but worth it :) I've played this game so many times and never fully completed it so it's gonna be worth it to know that I've experienced all it has to offer.

They could make it so that you could skip FMVs though :)

So I've finally finished the Sphere Grid and now have only Anime and Penance to defeat and I'll be completely finished with X once I go kill Sin! It's been long but worth it :) I've played this game so many times and never fully completed it so it's gonna be worth it to know that I've experienced all it has to offer.

That's great! Speaking of experiencing all that the game has to offer, have you doubled back to places like the Highroad, Besaid, and Kilika before getting the airship? You have the opportunity to do so several times without interference from the Guado. I think it's rewarding to do so because talking to the NPCs really gives you perspective on what's going on in Spira.

They could make a skip feature, but that would make the Excalibur quest doable, and who'd want that? lol

That's great! Speaking of experiencing all that the game has to offer, have you doubled back to places like the Highroad, Besaid, and Kilika before getting the airship? You have the opportunity to do so several times without interference from the Guado. I think it's rewarding to do so because talking to the NPCs really gives you perspective on what's going on in Spira.

They could make a skip feature, but that would make the Excalibur quest doable, and who'd want that? lol

Yup :) I went all the way back to Besaid before I got to Macalania temple, collecting the Jecht spheres, picking up some cool weapons (like Wakka's super-mage weapon) I love how heaps of times when you go back people are like, "what are you doing here, you're meant to be getting married" lol

Surely it's doable without opening the disk tray...surely. Otherwise how did they ever expect people to do it lol

Yup :) I went all the way back to Besaid before I got to Macalania temple, collecting the Jecht spheres, picking up some cool weapons (like Wakka's super-mage weapon) I love how heaps of times when you go back people are like, "what are you doing here, you're meant to be getting married" lol

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you say that lol. I know so few people who have actually taken the time to backtrack. And yeah, that whole marriage part tickles me pink. I don't know who's a bigger gossip: Shelinda or Tromell? For news of the wedding to reach Besaid that fast goes to show that the Guado may have Shelinda beat.

I'm not sure whether Excalibur is doable or not with FMVs. My friend and I clocked 17 hours and 38 minutes without them. We used my old Playstation just to make sure we could open the lid during the FMVs. It was so frustrating. When it became apparent that we weren't going to make it to Hades on time, we just gave up aiming for the prize and decided to see how fast we could reach the end without resetting a million times.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you say that lol. I know so few people who have actually taken the time to backtrack. And yeah, that whole marriage part tickles me pink. I don't know who's a bigger gossip: Shelinda or Tromell? For news of the wedding to reach Besaid that fast goes to show that the Guado may have Shelinda beat.

I'm not sure whether Excalibur is doable or not with FMVs. My friend and I clocked 17 hours and 38 minutes without them. We used my old Playstation just to make sure we could open the lid during the FMVs. It was so frustrating. When it became apparent that we weren't going to make it to Hades on time, we just gave up aiming for the prize and decided to see how fast we could reach the end without resetting a million times.

I always back track, I don't know why. Maybe just because the game allows it and I like to take advantage of that XD. I'm fighting Penance right now and I'm actually not dead so I feel this is a good sign. His tail has already fallen off and nobody has been KOd yet so I'm really thankful for my armour cause it's saving me from a huge kick in the butt.

I've never tried for the Excalibur II, just never saw the appeal. I recently played through IX and did all the other sidequests though and beat Ozma who was a lot easier than I thought he'd be at like level 80.

Nice! Sounds like you're doing a great job. You're just breezing through this game lol. You'll get your Plat long before I do.

Only reason we attempted the Excalibur quest is because my friend was moving away and we wanted to share one last great memory playing the game we both loved. If not for that, I doubt he and I would've bothered lol.

Nice! Sounds like you're doing a great job. You're just breezing through this game lol. You'll get your Plat long before I do.

Only reason we attempted the Excalibur quest is because my friend was moving away and we wanted to share one last great memory playing the game we both loved. If not for that, I doubt he and I would've bothered lol.

Over an hour in the battle and I got careless and he destroyed me with Judgement day :( won't be making that mistake again lol arms must be dead at all times!

Indeed, kill the arms at all cost. Just take it nice and slow. The key to beating Penance is patience and sticking to the plan. So long as the arms are dead, you should be okay.

Back