My thoughts after 1st play through

ShadyLegend23

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Okay as some of you know I just finished my first play through of FF9. Many years ago when I was around 15 or so I got this game for Christmas because my Mom and sister knew I was in love love with FF6,7 and 8. When I first got it I was very excited but then after abour 5 hours of playing I put it down. I just didn't get it at that point in time and the art style threw me off. I remember when the game first started my first impressions was why does the main character have a damn tail? Who is this fat whatever the hell he is Baku? Why is this wierd ass looking Queen the villain? So then I put it down thinking the good FF games had pass by. Then about 2 years ago i tried again and then ran into the same issues and was also engaged at the time so I never put in the time and gave up once again.

Now fast forward to about a little over a year ago I replayed through tactics again, then I played FF6 again followed by 7 and then a little bit of 8. I seen FF9 on psn while also hearing so many good things about it I thought to myself I really need to play through this thing and then judge it. Boy did I make the right decision. The art style is what always drove me away but this time around I started to really appreciate the art style and the great sense of humor the game had especially through the first 2 disk. Also of the references to previous FF games and the way you learned abilities made the game so much fun. All party members where very useful in their own unique way which is always a great trait when it comes to rpg's.

The plot turned out to be so amazing. At the end of disk 1 when Beatrix destroys my party and Kuja is introduced I had goosebumps. I love how is starts in Alexandria and the plot is slowly revealed to the world of Gaia and then extends to another world Terra. The back story of everyone is great along with the fun love story between Zidane and Dagger. I truly wanted to shed a tear when Dagger lost her voice I though it was going to be for good. Finding out the truth about Garland, Zidane and Kuja was the icing on the cake at the end of disk 3 and really put everything into perspective, At this point it felt like a true FF story line. The final run through Memoria was very fun and challenging with all the bosses. The only thing I had any gripe with at all was the Necron thing I brought up in my Disc 4 prep thread. Kuja was the main villain the whole game so he should have been the final last boss and was also a lot more challenging than Necron in my opinion. If Necron was mentioned earlier and had more story behind him I would't have any gripe. Even if Necron was the boss before Kuja that would have been perfectly cool. Aside of that the ending to the game was wonderful!! I loved how Zidane went back for Kuja and the play at the end where Zidane reveals he lived as him and Dagger are together once again and for good this time.

Overall I would definitely give this game a 10 I loved every minute of it and I cant believe I never gave it a fair shot in the past. Everything about it from story, characters, equipment and battle system was just terrific!! I just wanted to give my final thoughts on this game after finally playing it through 14 years after the release :)

Yay! So glad you gave it a real shot and liked it so much. It's one of my all time favourite games and I just got finished replaying it again not too long ago, totally agree with you about Necron though. I'm always kind of jealous when players get to experience a game I love so much for the first time. I always wish I could make myself forget it all so I could experience it again for the first time.

Congrats on completing the game, Shady. Goes to show why you shouldn't turn down a game simply due to a slow start and an unusual art style.

Overall, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Though I do agree with you regarding Necron. Sure, he was supposed to be the guardian of the Crystal, but if there were more hints dropped about the Crystal, even when you enter Memoria, he wouldn't have turned out to be a "Ohai thar, I keel you now" sort of boss.

I am glad you enjoyed FFIX so much.

Question, did you fight Ozmos at all? If you didn't or don't know what I am talking about I can help you get to him... he is a real pain in the butt! (he is one of the super bosses that FF games like to throw in... like FFVII had the WEAPONs and such :elmo: )

I was expecting something amazing and really challenging when I went to fight Ozma and I killed him first try lol

Back