Serious so I have a story to tell

quinnn10

Gil
hi guys, im new to the ff forums. i actually just discovered them today. anyway i thought i should tell you guys a story about my life and its relevance to ff and hopefully get input from you guys since im kind of at a low point in my life at the moment

so to start off, im currently 19 and turn 20 in may. im currently attending my local community college with a degree in psychology. psych has always interested me but im really worried about using it as my major due to it being difficult to attain a job without a master's. anyway thats kind of off topic, so i was working at walgreens for 8 months making 7.50 and i left due to family issues clogging up my work time. my family has finally had enough of my shenanigans (getting caught smoking by them) and has decided to kick me out. im going to be moving in with my friend and his roommate in their apartment paying around $150. ill probably be sleeping on the couch which doesnt really bug me cause i usually sleep on my couch at home anyway

to go on, ive come to the realization that im very scared about adapting to adulthood. right now im unemployed, have about $2200 in my savings account, about to be kicked out and lost the respect of my parents which means no tuition assistance and now i have to take out student loans just like everyone else. coming to the realization of my terror of becoming an adult, i became obsessed with childhood. i still am obsessed with childhood. when you were a child nothing mattered, you could become so immersed in everything around you because everything was new, an adventure. it haunts me still because of all these things stressing me out its giving me a hard time to enjoy video games. when i was a kid i didnt play games like final fantasy so i never had that magic childhood nostalgia. my first ever ff game was ffx back in 7th grade. it was so amazing to me at the time, it blew me away. i never played a game like it before. i became so attached to the characters, the storyline, everything about it. fast forward to about 6 months ago, i wanted to feel that way again so i started doing a lot of research on other ff games and read that 7 was cited universally as the "best" one (obviously that is subjective) so i played 7. i really liked 7 but i couldnt get attached to it like i did 10 and i think this has to do with me worrying about too many things consciously and subconsciously and not being able to completely free myself from my stress of life and become completely immersed in the game like i did in x. i had nothign to worry about in 7th grade; no job, bills, etc. so then i started playing ff high and i became the closest i think i would ever get to feeling like a child again. when you're extremely high everything just feels so amazing and impresses you so easily, it was the perfect way to try and immerse myself. unfortunately, whereas a lot of peoples stress melts away when the smoke mind is exacerbated so im still in this situation

basically im just wondering if you guys have any input for me. maybe some of you are older than me and can give me some ideas on how to adapt to adulthood and not be so scared, or maybe help me out with my reluctance of my major, or give me ideas on landing a job, etc. my main goal in life is to be able to play a final fantasy game with absolutely nothing to stress about. obviously im going to have stressors when im older such as bills, but if i have a decent job where i can afford to support myself and i feel accomplished in life thats all i need. nothing compares to the happiness and emotion i felt from ffx and i want to experience that again so badly... you have no idea :( i just wish i had a passion for something!! that way i could at least map out my life. right now my life just feels so empty and meaningless.. i feel as if im going no where. i hate it

I had a pretty abrupt transition from teenager to adult too so I know a bit about how you're feeling. I wish I could advise you but really the worst part about this time is that the only person who can help you is yourself. You have to decide what you want to do with your life, if you're not happy with your major then consider other options, other jobs you see yourself being interested in. Surely there are things you enjoy that you could see yourself working on in the future?

If you're low on money then you could consider giving up smoking, because it really can be expensive. Look for a part time job perhaps, something to get you out there and working, because once you get started that can make a big difference to how motivated you are in general. Take things one step at a time, there's no point in looking for a place of your own until you have income to support yourself but at the same time where you are now is likely temporary, so keep in mind that you will have to consider moving eventually.

I know it's tough, but once you pass this stage you'll feel a lot better about yourself, will probably be more settled and have extra time and money to manage. You just have to think carefully about where to go from here, and don't be afraid to rely on yourself instead of others :)

*Moved to the Lifestream*

If it will be difficult to find a job majoring in Psychology unless you have a Master's or higher, you may want to reconsider your major if you aren't willing to go that far. No sense getting a degree that you won't be able to use.

I had to work pretty much all the way through school and while it is tough, it's manageable. That's just life for some of us. I agree with the above poster that if you are short on cash, giving up smoking might be a good idea to help you save some money.

The best advice I can give is never give up hope, do what you love, and don't let ANYONE tell you it's impossible or not worth it. It sounds corny but for me at least it's true in every sense of the word. I did have a really long life story of my own endeavors typed out but I think it's better for me to just say don't panic. Times in life are going to be hard and feel hard. I know from personal experience my parents (Dad Especially) was against what I enjoyed doing as he felt it was a waste of time (that being gaming). Having parents that don't think your future is going anywhere and reminding you daily doesn't give someone much hope or meaning.

Needless to say I kept doing what I love and now my Dad admits he was wrong for the things he said.

You will have to make a choice: Will you fold and give in to the pressures of life or will you conqueror and withstand the trials that come? This is a choice only you can make and will have to face. As dumb as this sounds whatever gives you hope or motivation don't lose it, even if what keeps you motivated is a fictional character in a movie or game. They might be fake but the human emotion of never giving up is very true. For me it was Lord or the Rings the fellowship of the ring. In the first movie that came out in 2001 I carried this with me all through my later years:

"I cannot do this alone."

She answers, "You are a Ring-bearer, Frodo. To bear a Ring of Power is to be alone. This task was appointed to you. And if you do not find a way no one else will."

He replies, "Then I know what I must do… it’s just that I’m afraid to do it."

Galadriel smiles and whispers gently to him, "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

I never did give up and while I was afraid of a future I could not see I just took it one step at a time. Now I find myself driving to work 13 years later smiling thinking to myself "is this job really real? I'm getting PAID to do this!?!?!, this is way too much fun for a job!"

I have a bachelor's degree in Business Admin, a Masters in History, and a Doctorate in Psychology. I own my own business and work for a fortune five hundred company as an executive.
I'm not saying do that. You parents seem to want what's best for you. A responsible and stable future.
Set up a list of goals to present to your parents. Work everyday to look for work. Getting back under their roof if you can and their assistance will only help you unless they are being abusive.
Don't let your past environment and upbringing determine your future.
You have something to contribute.
It is not easy. You have to let go of childish ways. Do you value money a fulfilling career or both.
In reality there are only a few things you have control over.
Your reaction
Your health
Your education

A healthy body is a good start. It's important to understand the market and how business and money making works.
Different countries have different markets.
Realize that life is not fair.
It is the goal of the wealthy to stay wealthy. Know this.
You will have more enemies than friends.
Don't lie, cheat, steal etc. it doesn't work.
Don't fall for quick rich schemes as there are none.
Be happy with who you are as a person.
Anger is an emotion. Learn to control it through exercise and surround yourself with people that can love you unconditionally as a support group.
Make your days full.
Be organized.
Realize that most people don't really like their jobs as they only do it for money.
Money isn't the most important factor though.
How much money do you want to earn per year.

I had my bachelor's paid for, but my other degree's I paid myself. I worked hard for many years in education, jobs, and internships. I didn't have any fun for many many years working ungodly hours and had a break-down at one point.
I did things to make a good living and create passive wealth to some degree on top of working for income.
I now have more free time and money to do what I want.

Money was my main motivator, but don't let that influence you.
Some days I wish I could go back and go into music as I was very good in that, but since I had other natural talents I chose a different route.
Keep learning.
Use your talents to your favor.
Read a book named Aging Well by Valiant. You can get it from Amazon under $10.
Find a healthy outlet or activity involving other people.
It may seem counter intuitive but keeping your mind off yourself and your problems will help you.
Do everything to the best of your ability.
There is no short cut to hard work.
Seek perfection knowing you'll never reach it.

I wish you all the best and Welcome to the Forum.

Gaming Career

I was going to give some advice that is very similar to what Mystical_Gaming said. If FF7 is something that really enchanted you and you want to feel like that all the time why don't you consider a career in gaming (in some capacity)?

Back