Upscalling on PS3?

Sheechiibii

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
I just started replaying this game, but I'm playing the original game on my PS2 and on my big HD tv it really looks pretty shoddy. I don't mind too much but I noticed that the screen shots from the PC version look far superior and I was wondering if the PS3 download is also upscalled (or whatever is done to make it look smoother). If anyone knows please fill me in cause if it's not any better quality I'll just stick with my PS version.

A PSX game is not going to fare well on an HDTV, as even most PS2 games don't either.

The PC versions look better because computers have better graphic acceleration. The 'grain' in FFVII is largely taken out on it's PC native, for example.

But yes, downloading them will come with the perk of crisp graphics on a HDTV. They render them to make them compatible to more current hardware.

That sounds good. I mean I don't mind that the graphics aren't going to be good, but even just to smooth out all those really bad pixels would be better. It's only £8 and I'm not far into the game so I think I'll just go for it.

That sounds good. I mean I don't mind that the graphics aren't going to be good, but even just to smooth out all those really bad pixels would be better. It's only £8 and I'm not far into the game so I think I'll just go for it.

Pretty much, the best you've seen VIII is how it will look regardless of resolution, unless you have a 80 inch or something :mrgreen:

They do a pretty good job rendering the old games for download.

The psn version is the same as the disc PS1 version. Exactly the same. There is a difference where there are huge black borders around the outside, perhaps to avoid stretching or something.

The PC version has much improved graphics...except on the world map. The less said about that the better :wacky:.

Imo it's not worth grabbing the psn version if you have it on disk. The PS1 upscaling on psn makes no difference (not that I can tell) and is far inferior to the PC version :).

I did buy it, and there is a feature for smoothing. It makes a difference to the menu and the dialogue as well as the character models, the background gets slightly smoother as well but it's not really noticeable like the writing and the character models are. It's not much of a change but it is still better than the PS1 disk. Both have the black border around the edges.

The psn version is the same as the disc PS1 version. Exactly the same. There is a difference where there are huge black borders around the outside, perhaps to avoid stretching or something.

The PC version has much improved graphics...except on the world map. The less said about that the better :wacky:.

Imo it's not worth grabbing the psn version if you have it on disk. The PS1 upscaling on psn makes no difference (not that I can tell) and is far inferior to the PC version :).

I don't know about that. I've played PSX games on disk, on a an HDTV, and it's so bad it reminds one of Missingno from Pokemon.
Just a train wreck.

I do not have this problem with downloads.

Don't recommend the PC version of FFVIII simply because where it has good graphics in battles and most locations, the world map basically lacks in even some of the base things that complete the visuals. VII doesn't suffer by this at all, but they both suffer here:
the video sequences have horrible resolution, even on a computer screen. And the music is MIDI based.

I don't know about that. I've played PSX games on disk, on a an HDTV, and it's so bad it reminds one of Missingno from Pokemon.
Just a train wreck.

I do not have this problem with downloads.

Don't recommend the PC version of FFVIII simply because where it has good graphics in battles and most locations, the world map basically lacks in even some of the base things that complete the visuals. VII doens't suffer by this at all, but they both suffer here:
the video sequences have horrible resolution, even on a computer screen.

Mmm, maybe it depends on the TV. It probably does actually. My tv plays PS1/2 games fine personally, without showing any issues.

I agree, the steam version has a bad world map. Because it has been smoothed out, you can see the squares that make up the map and it generally looks...bad. At the same time though, if you wanted to you can put the graphics back to the PS1 quality through the settings menu. That kinda defeats the point of playing the game with updated graphics though :/. Maybe you could do this for the times you are on the field map and return it back to HD for in towns etc?

See, I can't see the FMV sequences being any worse or better than the PS1 version. It looks the same to me.

Mmm, maybe it depends on the TV. It probably does actually. My tv plays PS1/2 games fine personally, without showing any issues.

See, I can't see the FMV sequences being any worse or better than the PS1 version. It looks the same to me.

It could be the TV. I know that some HDTV's have their own upscale techs and filters, probably depends on the brand and quality.
There's two TV's in my house that both take old cables, and one filters out the grain while the other doesn't.

PSX games probably just don't mesh well with the upscale and what not. In fact, I'm pretty convinced that the games look worse in their native visuals and depend on old TV's to fade it out.

Now that I think about it, the FMV files may have been better on VIII. I do know that the resolution of the VII ones were were like 3X3in. Blown up to your screen Lol.

Back