What's next for Dissidia?

8ther

Dragon Knight
Gil
So a while back Ichiro Hazama said in an interview that he and the rest of SE intends to make a third Dissidia game which great news but forgve me if i'm wrong (i haven't finished story mode in the first game yet so im not sure) but what more could they do with the series? Haven't the story in Dissidia been wrapped up?

I haven't heard anything regarding a third game. Can you provide a link?

I think a "Dissidia 0" would be neat, but that's wishful thinking.

I haven't heard anything regarding a third game. Can you provide a link?

I placed the link over the word interview in the OP but anyways here the direct link and quote from the article

I want to make a new Dissidia, and we intend to do so. The people who’ve worked on the previous titles have also stated their desire to make a new one, too. When you ask kids in their teens about their favorite Final Fantasy titles, Final Fantasy Type-0 and Dissidia are more popular than the main-numbered series.

http://squareportal.net/2013/11/19/square-enix-shows-desire-in-making-a-new-dissidia/

considering the series is designed to have some leeway, they can make it so that dissidia and Duodecim never really happened or someone altered the events so that it can continue (with probably a new oversee-er)

If the Warrior(s) from FFI can break a time loop, then the chosen warriors of the Dissidia universe can break the cycles at some point

And let's not forget that the cycles leading up to Confessions of the Creator were all "what if" scenarios. The 13th cycle being the defeat of Chaos is canon... for now. For all we know, the Warrior could have tripped on the hill to Cornelia into an inter-dimensional portal and ended up in the 3rd Dissidia :/

To be honest I find the storyline to be pretty much garbage. I wish they didn't get so intricate if they're just going to make up some silly stuff like that. It wouldn't be Final Fantasy without a confusing plot though.

Like any sane person I am extremely excited for the third one, and I do hope that it is available for consoles. The story doesn't concern me one iota.

I personally don't see why the story would have to be a direct sequel at all. Even Dissidia 012 didn't delve into sequel territory; it told a new story leading up to the first game, and then included that first game afterwords. So basically, I see Dissidia 012 as the 'final version' of the Dissidia storyline and mechanics that were introduced to us on the PSP. A new game could tell an entirely new story and refresh the combat mechanics and visuals for a new generation of consoles. Final Fantasy has always been about continual reinvention (XIII aside) and it could certainly apply to Dissidia, too. Of course, the rumors for a new game in the series are rather old by now and still we've heard nothing of it materializing. In recent history SE has made a habit of announcing things officially and then taking ages to get around to it, not taking ages to make an announcement with imminent news. I'd guess at this point it stands more as something the staff wants to do, not something that has actually been given the greenlight to start developing.

All that was said was that they "want and intend" to make a third installment, which of course isn't anything for any customer or fan to write home about. As far as I can see nothing is promised so therefore I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is delivered. And as much as I would love to get hyped over a third installment all I've heard is that the creators like the idea of making it. Not exactly a news worthy item that.

What bemuses me is why the creators even bothered to divulge their intentions. Even when it comes to titles they are developing, we still have to wait 7+ years to see any material, so why bother getting hyped over an intention? Road to hell and all that jazz. :dry:

personally, i think Dissidia needs a proper revamp. a whole new story with a whole new ending. Something that allows more room to it without being so intrusive to the main series.

All I want from Dissidia is a PS4 release. I'll be frank in saying that the story is awful, however I can brush that aside as it had no hope from the start in being a complication of Final Fantasy worlds. It's sufficient for what it is. The combat in Dissidia however is amazing and something I really want to see shine on next gen hardware. Playing Dissidia on full screen would just be so epic, I have always found that it had much more depth than something like Smash Bros ( A game I never understood.) I spent a good 40+ hours on Dissidia and I was far from finished. I mean I feel the same way I do with the characters in Dissidia as I do with them appearing in Kingdom Hearts, I don't see them as the proper characters but just a fine tribute to them. If anything I see Dissidia as a celebration of the series, but the gameplay mechanics are so tight it would be a shame for anyone to dismiss it as FF fan service.

A proper online infrastructure would be nice too. The game play is ten times more interesting and dynamic PVP rather than fighting against the predictable CPU. I assumed it would be released for the Vita though seeing as how the Japanese like their handheld consoles and the game is very popular over there.

If they loved their handhelds, Type-0 should've been released.on Vita as well. I assume SE is playing it safe...so I assume SE would make it for ps4 and xbox one. Which means little to no room for vita.I will like a vita release.

Well, I personally enjoy the idea of Dissidia, but even with all of it's clerithness in the first game, I can't help but notice that it's basically Crisis Core but with every FF character. To me, they missed the mark ona few things, however, I think it is also very fun so I am hoping there is a third. Maybe they'll release it for PS4 and make it like soul caliber or something. however, i feel like the plot was once just intended to be a stand alone plot but they had to change it in order to make more games, which sucks because in the first game you have all the heroes finishing their battles and going home only to be told there's 12 games that follow before that. it's overwhelming. at the rate they release games i'll be 45 before they get to game 4.

so i doubt there will be anymore let alone the amount it'd take to finish the whole 'story'. but if there is a next game, i hope they include aerith. i would love to beat the crap outta Sephiroth with her :lew:

I would like to see this. Mainly because both dissidia games were way too easy to break. In both my build for Warrior of Light, Zidane, and Onion Knight made them basically unstoppable. WoL gaining 1500-ish Brave on each individual block, Zidane with damage and ex-to-Bravery making only 2 brave combos bring him to 9999 against most foes, and Onion Knight with up to 20% Iai strike rate (considering how many blows he's got in one chain, 20% happens in 75% of my combos when it's that high.) Others could be easily broken, too, I just never got around to them.

My point is game is too easy, especially endgame.

Back