What do you look for?

What I look for in Rps usually depends on the moment really. A while ago I just looked for anything that seemed like a new, fresh idea. Now I've sort of got a method to it. :P

First and foremost I look to see if I resonate with the game master's story and whether I could really see myself fitting in and advancing that story. I've been in RPs before where I just join because a buddy asks me to(and I didn't want to let them down), but I've found that if I'm not too interested in the idea I end up being one of those RPers who don't post much before pulling out of the game eventually.

Secondly I still look at the people involved. It may sound a bit biased but I like to know that the RP that I am joining wont just fall flat after a week. I'm much more likely to join the RP of someone I know who is an active participator than someone who has a history of being a bit flaky.

There's not much I look for honestly. I wish I had more time to RP these days. ^_^

I'm a hardcore Magewhore, so though I prefer to RP as a mage it is not a defining factor.
What I'm after is a story, it doesn't have to be set in stone or the main focus, but more like an overarching thing, consider a sandbox if you will. There has to be a goal, if everyone shares the same goal, or if it's shared for the same reasons matters not.

In my case if it's a fantasy setting as well greatly increases my feel for it, but as Exoskeleton stated here, it also fluctuates a tad depending on mood and what I feel at the time. Often I'm also biased towards a new character if I have one I haven't used yet.

And since it's you, my ego demands I mention the following: A RP where I can use Alumar! ^^
--For you readers not getting this, ignore it; it's a sort of internal joke.

Mayhaps, Fox. But we'll have to see how the current RP's roll along first!

First, I check out the genre. of the RP. I'm a sucker for high fantasy, but I do delve into sci-fi every now and again. Even modern-day fantasy is fun to dabble in. However, I try not to touch the typical boarding-school-dramalicious RPs or the obvious brothel RPs. Just... ick.

Once I have found a genre and story that piques my interest, I then do a bit of character match-ups. I've had Shenorai and Leondra for over a decade now, so it's safe to say I'm guilty of seeing if those two can fit into the story in any logical sense first. They are surprisingly flexible characters, but of course there are some places you simply won't find them lingering around. I then move along my list of lesser-used characters until one fits. If there is an RP that allows for any race/creature, I tend to pluck out something very unusual and see how long I can run with it. Like Mushkins, for instance.

I will confess, I really wish that the furry community hadn't ruined Anthropomorphic characters. =\

What I look for in Rps usually depends on the moment really. A while ago I just looked for anything that seemed like a new, fresh idea. Now I've sort of got a method to it. :P

First and foremost I look to see if I resonate with the game master's story and whether I could really see myself fitting in and advancing that story. I've been in RPs before where I just join because a buddy asks me to(and I didn't want to let them down), but I've found that if I'm not too interested in the idea I end up being one of those RPers who don't post much before pulling out of the game eventually.

Secondly I still look at the people involved. It may sound a bit biased but I like to know that the RP that I am joining wont just fall flat after a week. I'm much more likely to join the RP of someone I know who is an active participator than someone who has a history of being a bit flaky.

There's not much I look for honestly. I wish I had more time to RP these days. ^_^

You need Lost Odyssey in your life.

Personally, what I value most in role-plays are the opportunities to develop a character's personality. I love it when the role-play allows players to add layers upon layers to the character's being, so that s/he's not just a flat, generic template but one that could stand out as... 'real', perhaps. Due to that, I'm not particularly picky about the settings, given the fact such character developments are dependent on how you play the character.

Aside from that, I must confess I tend to shy away from role-plays started by people with less presence - to put it nicely. Like people who are relatively new and have no evidence of actual experience with role-plays... Or people with glaring grammatical and spelling errors. In such cases, it doesn't really matter how interesting the settings may be, I'll prefer to sit out and see how it develops - and whether it'll convince me to change my perception. In the context of this thread, I suppose what I'm looking for here is 'reputation' and 'good grammar and spelling'.

You need Lost Odyssey in your life.

I'm not sure what this means but it doesn't have anything to do with my post or the OP's topic. Also this is a post count section so it is preferred to keep posts at least a paragraph long when posting on topics such as these(They will get deleted if not).

^_^ I recommend VMs or PMs for any personal referrals.

Back