Help Is there anything better about maxing the Expert Sphere Grid in comparison to the Standard Grid?

Gil
I've beaten FFX a few times, and with the HD Remaster coming out soon, I'll be getting that with the intentions of beating the game, beating all the optional bosses, and even the toughest superbosses [Spoiler Alert Maybe?], Nemesis and Penance.
I've done a little bit of research and I have a few questions.
One, as mentioned in the title, is:
Will I see any benefits maxing out the Expert Sphere Grid that aren't in the Standard Sphere Grid?

Another one is:
Since the primary negative effect with having the Expert Sphere Grid maxed out is lacking agility (Which is negated by First Strike), is it essential to have First Strike for the super bosses?

If so, then the Expert Sphere Grid would be equal to the Standard Sphere Grid at that point due to 170 Agi + First Strike is no different than 250 Agi + First Strike, right?
If not though, then it'd end up being better to have the Standard Sphere Grid because the 250 Agi benefits the number of turns at the start of a battle, right?

10 pts for the correct answer :P

Last edited:
The expert Sphere Grid starts with all characters in the middle of the grid so it's much easier to change the roles of the characters and take them down a grid they wouldn't usually be on. In terms of maxing out the sphere grid though, I've never done it myself but I've heard it's easier to do with the standard sphere grid, possibly because it's smaller so has less blank nodes? I'm not sure, but I always use the expert sphere grid every single time because I love the freedom it gives during the game. When I get the remaster I'll go for killing Penance and all the Dark Aeons etc, but I'm still going to stick with the Expert sphere grid, because I don't think the standard one will have that much more stat boosts than the expert and I'd rather have the expert one for the choice factor during the game.

I know this probably isn't any help, but I've never maxed out the sphere grid before. I'd say that for the purposes of defeated the super bosses, you'll manage to kill them whether you've maxed out the standard grid or the expert one.

The normal sphere grid supposedly has more nodes for stat maxing. A quick google search tells me its somewhere in the region of 50-70 more nodes than the expert grid. Having more class flexibility isn't much of an advantage throughout the game.

Back