Gil
Edgar's Tent
FFXIV
L'ulech Tia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
Hey all, today I bring you a little trick which you can use to automatically log in to FFXIV rather than run the game, type your password, click 'play', click through a maintenance notification (if any) and then finally get in-game. This process becomes even more annoying if you play with a controller, perhaps out of distance of your mouse and keyboard (playing on a TV, for instance). Sure it's a small thing, but why suffer the inconvenience when the tools to automatically enter your password and log in to the game are already on your PC?

For those of you who aren't aware, built in to Windows is a simple programming language called vbscript. It's analogous to the html, css, and javascript that are generating this webpage you're reading on, only rather than operate on the web, vbscript runs right inside Windows on your PC. And as it turns out, not only is it capable of launching FFXIV for you, it's pretty simple too. Here's how.

1) Create a new text file anywhere on your computer and name it something like: "FFXIV Auto-login.vbs". The suffix is the kicker. Whatever name you choose, it must end in .vbs. You'll know if the name is set correctly if the file icon is a blue or yellow scroll (depending on your version of Windows). If it's not, make sure the file didn't end up as "FFXIV Auto-login.vbs.txt" or something.

2) Copy this code into your new .vbs file:

Code:
Dim objShell
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" )
objShell.Exec("[COLOR=#00ffff]C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\boot\ffxivboot.exe[/COLOR]")
WScript.Sleep [COLOR=#ff0000]8000[/COLOR]
objShell.SendKeys "[COLOR=#00ffff]PASSWORD[/COLOR]"
WScript.Sleep 100
objShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
WScript.Sleep [COLOR=#ff0000]4000[/COLOR]
WScript.Sleep [COLOR=#ff0000]3000[/COLOR]
objShell.SendKeys "{TAB}"
WScript.Sleep 100
Set objShell = Nothing

Highlighted in blue are the two things you will most likely want to change about this script. The first is the path to your ffxivboot.exe - you can get this easily by locating ffxivboot.exe in your file browser, holding SHIFT, right-clicking on the .exe, and choosing "Copy as Path". Then just paste the path, quotes included, into the code above. Next is your password, which you obviously simply replace with your Square Enix account password.

3) Save the file (duh)

4) Instead of launching the game from its normal shortcut, make a shortcut to your .vbs file and run that like you would run any program. Congratulations, FFXIV will now log in and start up all by itself!

A few notes:
-Do not input anything on your keyboard/mouse once you have launched the script or you could interrupt the login process.
-This script accounts for the maintenance messages that sometimes pop up after logging in, and will click through those for you, too. Hooray!
-The red numbers above presume upon the speed of your PC and your internet connection, to some degree. The values are in milliseconds, and pause the script while the FFXIV launcher does its thing opening, logging in, and connecting to the FFXIV servers. If you happen to have slow internet and/or a slow PC, you may want to increase these values to account for the extra time it will take between each step in the login process.
-You can create a shortcut to the .vbs file in Steam, set the icon to ffxivboot.exe, and set this image as the banner (use 'grid view' to set banners) for a Big Picture Mode full controller experience.
-Obviously this will not work with Square Enix's one-time password system, so you'll have to forego the extra security to use this script.

And there you have it! Hope you enjoy :)

Last edited:
Cool stuff. Sadly, though, I think like 90% of the XIV players here are PS3 peeps.

I'd use it, if SE weren't so touchy and kept locking me out of my account when I access my account from different IPs, forcing me to change my password every other day. :hmph:

As I said, though, cool stuff.

Cool stuff. Sadly, though, I think like 90% of the XIV players here are PS3 peeps.

Really, that many? Most of the people I've talked to are on PC :hmmm:

Well the script was useful to me, so I just thought I'd share it for the heck of it anyway.

I play on pc and shall try this script now, this will save having to locate my keyboard to login

sorry for the necropost here, but, I just found this, got back into the game, and I want to say thanks, but, it also triggers an unwanted result....

it (now) hits tab or whatever over to wherever the click is to open up the playthrough/helper website instead of hitting enter on the "play/DX11" button...any guidance? I'm in love with this idea, as even though I do play from keyboard/mouse, I detest that it wants me to put in my overly long and complicated password every single time...

sorry for the necropost here, but, I just found this, got back into the game, and I want to say thanks, but, it also triggers an unwanted result....

it (now) hits tab or whatever over to wherever the click is to open up the playthrough/helper website instead of hitting enter on the "play/DX11" button...any guidance? I'm in love with this idea, as even though I do play from keyboard/mouse, I detest that it wants me to put in my overly long and complicated password every single time...

I removed the Tab then Enter command at the end of the script and adjusted the time of the second enter to 5000 instead. Just used it and it worked!

But original seemed to take into account the maint warning. So maybe add another enter above the tab instead.

Because of the way this script runs, it can't be used with steamlink or steam in-home streaming. When you run it, steamlink runs the .VBS and uses this as the target window, however when ffxivboot.exe is launched it breaks the steam stream (controller input no longer works and it treats it as a mouse). Since from steams point of view, the game you are streaming has lost focus.

Another solution would be to build a small monitoring application that runs in the background and triggers when ffxivboot.exe launches.

Back