Edea's Public Speech

HLEV

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
During the Sorceress Assassination mission, Edea makes a harsh public speech, kills the President and summons monsters to kill Rinoa. The crowd keeps cheering. According to Final Fantasy Wiki on Ultimecia, Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania says that Edea had casted a fascination spell on the crowd. Yet Squall and Irvine seem to be just fine. How is that?

0:16:00

Perhaps they cheered because they were happy about being free from Deiling's oppressive reign? Maybe they cheered through fear, as opposed to a spell. Perhaps she didn't want Squall et al under a spell; maybe she knew she wanted to fight them. Ultimecia knows it's her destiny to fight SeeD - maybe she was stirring the pot a bit.

Possibly because Squall and Irvine have more of a resistance to magic, they are trained fighters after all. Also they aren't always in the same place as the rest of the crowd, so they might not have been affected by it.

Perhaps they cheered because they were happy about being free from Deiling's oppressive reign? Maybe they cheered through fear, as opposed to a spell. Perhaps she didn't want Squall et al under a spell; maybe she knew she wanted to fight them. Ultimecia knows it's her destiny to fight SeeD - maybe she was stirring the pot a bit.
I don't think they would cheer when the new ruler belittles them and tells that things are going to get much worse for them. Cheering through fear wouldn't help neither, they were supposedly screwed anyway. The fascination spell is a much better explanation (although not obvious in the game itself). In fact, that's the first thing that came to my mind: "it must be sorceresses' magic!". The only problem is with Squall and Irvine, who were among the crowd.

Possibly because Squall and Irvine have more of a resistance to magic, they are trained fighters after all. Also they aren't always in the same place as the rest of the crowd, so they might not have been affected by it.
If them being fighters increased their resistance to magic like that, then Edea's spell would be pretty bad and risky, because supposedly there could be more people who are stronger than the others, which in turn could screw things up a little for her, as they would just go and tell everybody, if/when the fascination spell wears off.
I had thought about Squall and Irvine arriving somewhat later, perhaps after the spell was cast on the crowd, but then, again, it renders the spell bad and risky, because, again, there could be more people that joined the crowd later.

I think I'm going to stick with Squall and Irvine's better resistance to magic/spells, but because they have GFs junctioned.

My best guess would be that either because Squall and Irvine knew they'd end up fighting her in some way they weren't affected and couldn't be influenced by her. Or the fact that they were somewhat distracted over wanting to get to Rinoa.

Another fun fact about that speech is that in the Japanese version she says something about a "'final fantasy", she comes close in the English version but she outright says it in the Japanese version.

I think it's because Squall and Irvine weren't focused on her, they were thinking about their mission and getting to the tower and saving Rinoa. The rest of the crowd were all looking and listening to her.

My best guess would be that either because Squall and Irvine knew they'd end up fighting her in some way they weren't affected and couldn't be influenced by her. Or the fact that they were somewhat distracted over wanting to get to Rinoa.

Another fun fact about that speech is that in the Japanese version she says something about a "'final fantasy", she comes close in the English version but she outright says it in the Japanese version.

Here's the correct speech, the english ver butchered it.

Ultimecia:
"......It reeks.
Filthy fools.
Since time immemorial, we witches have lived within illusion.
The foolish fantasy you produced.
Adorning their bodies in dreadful costumes, the witches who curse virtuous humans by means of cruel rituals.
The terrible witch who burns your green fields and freezes your warm homes with ruthless magic.
......Worthless.
Now that the witch from the illusion is come to be seen as a friend of Galbadia, you sigh in relief?
Who is dreaming fantasy after fantasy?"
President Deling:
"E...Edea...
Just what...?
Ede......!"
::Ultimecia telekinetically lifts Deling into the air and begins killing him with her magic::
Ultimecia:
"Reality is not at all gentle.
That being the case, you fools!
There is nothing for you but this!"
::Ultimecia telekinetically throws Deling's lifeless body::
Ultimecia:
"Escape into your own fantasies!
I shall continue to dance for your world of illusions!
I shall dance for eternity as the witch who brings you dread!
You and I.
Together, we shall create the final fantasy.
Within are life and death and sweet dreams.
The witch travels toward the eternal illusion!
The witch and Galbadia on to eternity!"]
“I have waited for this day to come. And also feared this day would come. Is today a joyous day? Or an odious day?”
-Galbadia Garden: After the witch’s spell on her has been lifted

Back