amazon drone

Jack's Smirking Revenge

i am the one who knocks
Veteran
Gil
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906

it's probably exactly what you think it is - you order from amazon and your item is delivered by an unmanned drone within half an hour to your front garden. it sounds like an april fool's joke but is totally real!

i can just see this being a massive failure. you will have to sit and protect the land the drone is going to land on otherwise some cunt will come along and nick what you've bought. and of course groups of chavs will manage to catch them and fuck around with them. it's a cool idea, but i just can't see it working.

Hello...customer services yeah my package has been left on the roof again!

Was reading this yesterday. They did say it wouldnt be ready for 5 years but cmon its a really cool idea. Though i bet itd cost a fortune. 1 day delivery is pretty expensive

Hello...customer services yeah my package has been left on the roof again!

Was reading this yesterday. They did say it wouldnt be ready for 5 years but cmon its a really cool idea. Though i bet itd cost a fortune. 1 day delivery is pretty expensive

Totally agree with this as well as I think the concept is very awesome and extremely risky. Saw this picture which made me laugh as well.
ku-xlarge.jpg

They actually look a bit like those flying robots in metal gear solid 2! The ones that work like security cameras and have wee turret guns?

You have to hold the drop zone for 10 seconds. If you don't, another person is entitled to steal your package.

Although, it'll take them longer to open it, because it's an enemy Amazon package. :hmmm:

They'll probably have to put some kind of surveillance on the drones themselves. I mean, they're obviously equipped with GPS tech--Amazon will know where each one should be at all times, and if it goes missing, that's theft and potentially vandalism and the cops can legally do something about it. A simple camera could start taking pictures if the drone senses it's being tampered with, much like what can be done with smartphones. There will probably be troublemakers at first, but once a few people get caught others will be much more hesitant. It's no great secret when a UPS truck pulls in front of someone's house and leaves a package at the door, but still the average person doesn't get their packages stolen. This won't be that much different.

Imagine all the drones flying around during the holidays. People would be shooting them down. "Oops, thought it was a big bird."

Not sure how I feel about this. I think I'd prefer the old-fashion mail setup, but that's just me. I'm not that impatient that I can't wait an extra day or two for my package to arrive.

I hope they have powerful sensors so that they can react immediately to anything they may encounter. I know nothing about drone technology, however.

For example, if they attempt to deliver to a block of flats and leave it on a flat balcony or something, but as the drone descends to the correct floor, someone innocently unaware a couple of floors above the destination decides to stick his head out of the window to admire the view. A messy decapitation follows.

The idea is good. Or it is interesting, at least. But I think it is a technology that people will have to be very, very careful with.

Cool idea but so many things could (and likely will) go wrong. I'll be happy with good 'ol postal delivery from Mr. UPS Man for the time being. Until, ya'know, the drones go all sentient and kill them all. I'm sure having Amazon delivery drones coming and going will help people get used to having military drones flying about in the skies too, much more than we have already.

It's great that a company wants to blow an absurd amount of money on something that will probably become a new pastime craze for my future kids. Bonus points if you can catch the package undamaged after knocking the drone down with one expert throw of a rock or something, because the human operators are too slow to react to projectiles aiming for their robotic deliverymen.

This probably won't be a good idea for the Middle East though. You won't know if you're getting a new watch from Amazon, or a bomb on top of your head.

I saw this and I'm very happy that a big company like Amazon is willing to try a technology like this out, scary to think that this might be the norm in a decade (if you work in delivery better start your exit plan!).

I'm sure there will be plenty of issues to overcome on release but hopefully they can smooth them out and make it part of the core Amazon experience, I'm sure plenty of people would buy more stuff just for the delivery for the first few months.

They'll probably end up installing turrets on the drone for "Delivery Protection". And then one day we'll wake up and Amazon will have armed drones all over the country. That'll end well.

Back