Crisis Core Who liked Crisis Core? And who hated it? Why?

NothingToSeeHere

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I LOVE CRISIS CORE!!!!!!!! MOST AWESOME SHIZZ I EVER RECENTLY SAW!!!!!! Any others? Lovers? Haters? :/

It's a short and shallow game with a mind-numbingly stupid luck-based-but-at-the-same-time-not-quite-luck-based Level-Up/Limit Break/Summons system all rolled up into slot machine reels, and perhaps just as linear, if not more linear, than FFXIII itself. The story as a whole is passable, but when you have Genesis as your villain, Cloud overdosed for half the game, and Sephiroth swayed like that, it isn't exactly aiming to be stellar. I do like Zack. He's at least optimistic and is capable of being a shounen-hero without being overbearingly obnoxious about it. And Sephiroth as a sane good guy a nice sight to behold. Plus I get to deal as much damage with a common beach parasol as I can with a giant forged plate of steel.

If FFXV turns out to be like Crisis Core, I'll be horrified, frankly.

I only managed to play the first hour of this game. Ive been meaning to go back to it for ages now but i just cant face it. Its so typical of a psp game to be based around crappy missions. It made me sad that they turned Zack into a complete fanny. The guy is a wanker and a terrible male lead. Yuna from x-2 would have been better

It's a short and shallow game with a mind-numbingly stupid luck-based-but-at-the-same-time-not-quite-luck-based Level-Up/Limit Break/Summons system all rolled up into slot machine reels, and perhaps just as linear, if not more linear, than FFXIII itself.

well um i was really talking about the storyline...

The story as a whole is passable, but when you have Genesis as your villain, Cloud overdosed for half the game, and Sephiroth swayed like that, it isn't exactly aiming to be stellar.

oh and you do talk about the storyline....

well heres what i dont get. cloud isnt overdosed for half of the game because he doesnt even appear more than 10 times. and 10 times is pushing it. i think its even much less than that. hes poisoned for the last hour of the game so i dont see whats to complain about. come to think about it, cloud isnt important at all, so during his poisoning he doesnt even get in the way so i dont see what the fuss is about.

also i cant really convince people genesis isnt all that bad, and they seem to ignore that at the end he realized of what he did, but nvm. how is sephy's "swaying" bad? nobody complained in VII, so i dont see why they point this out. in fact he had more reason to go insane in CC than in that version anyway.

i agree on your points of zack and sephy though.

but why didnt you note the music? the soundtrack deserves 3 awards at least.

If FFXV turns out to be like Crisis Core, I'll be horrified, frankly.
and what on earth would S/E do THAT for lol?

Its so typical of a psp game to be based around crappy missions. It made me sad that they turned Zack into a complete fanny.

the reviews (even of now) would like to have a word with you. :T

The guy is a wanker and a terrible male lead.
........this is dont get at all. looks like you're going to have to back that up. i mean for realz dude "terrible male lead"? in what sense?

i hope you guys are kidding in at least one of your points...>.>

besides nero and weiss being mentioned in the credits i thought the game was fine

well

fine for a psp game

i feel like the title was mostly meant to tell zack's story and really didn't have much appeal to it outside of that. if it wasn't on the psp more probably could have been done with the combat and the game could have had some better features, but for the purpose of giving us zack's story it did well enough.

i feel like the title was mostly meant to tell zack's story and really didn't have much appeal to it outside of that. if it wasn't on the psp more probably could have been done with the combat and the game could have had some better features, but for the purpose of giving us zack's story it did well enough.

well...wasnt that the point? it was really about zack because after BC S/E found that his popularity shot up and decided to make a game that was in their minds for around 10yrs. i mean yea his story is pretty good, but besides i wouldnt be interested into anything else. oh wait i would have liked a little insight on sephy and his friends tho : P

well...wasnt that the point? it was really about zack because after BC S/E found that his popularity shot up and decided to make a game that was in their minds for around 10yrs. i mean yea his story is pretty good, but besides i wouldnt be interested into anything else. oh wait i would have liked a little insight on sephy and his friends tho : P

what i mean is, the game really doesn't offer much besides zack's story. the only reason you would want to play crisis core is if you already played ff7. thats a pretty crappy selling point.

they also tried out the DMW and a lot of people did not like it because of how it interacted leveling. combat was just a dumbed down version of the KH engine. really stupid encounter mechanicsm. and the list goes on. it's just not the kind of game i feel like i would have finished if i had not already played ff7.

Hated it sorry man. Because I personally felt like it messed up the original game that I grew up as a child, and memories and things. The story felt twisted to try and make Zack a better hero and Sephiroth badguy and ignore the fact that it was originally Cloud's story of overcoming his rough childhood to become a Hero, him thinking that he was a huge failure, but actually he wasn't. All that almost went outside the window.

I to didn't enjoy Zack. I found him annoying and too child- like and sort of like Tidus from FFX. He does mature, but he still has that main character of a cheesy boy anime feel, like One Piece or Bleach. Just, ugh. Cloud felt raw and human with decent flaws. Zack imo belonged in a episode of Bleach imo.

Also the leveling up system blows, the fighting system also sucked and was so repetitive. Honest I'm surprised that this game got high scores like 10/ 10.

AERIS felt like a mess as well, who the fuck is scared of the sky ? This is the girl whom originally threatened to bash up a dangerous Underground Pimp's guys penis. that sent out one of his henchmen to originally try and rape her.

A Pimp ? Nah, I'll bash his willy- waddle

A Rapist ? Nah, I'll try and be brave in front of Cloud and show that I wasn't scared.

The Sky- OH LORDE , SOMEBODY COVER ME, THE TERROR

So stupid.

Personally, the game is great if it were to be on its own merits. obviously that can't be done since its part of a bigger game (ff7) and deviates from it. But even then some features could've been better.

For example: we've missed every single scene of any confrontation between Angeal and Genesis to the point where we don't care about their relationship.

They changed Zack's personality. partly because there's probably a side of Zack we just didn't get to see and that's partly because the only side to Zack we get to see was the Zack cloud knew of. But even so, we could've seen more Cloud/Zack interaction.

i'm going to say it: the leveling system is not "broken" but, the fact that it takes the facade of a lottery system, makes it out to look like it is. However there are bigger areas in the game that are based on luck. such as some magic pot encounters.

the missions could've expanded further into more areas. the places get old fast.

overall, any other complaints, i blame the console choice. it could've been much more if it chose to be on playstation 2. we could've actually since vincent in that grave, rather than hinting it. we could've seen some more free roam. we could've seen some party members too.

I'd just be reiterating what others have said here, so I'll keep it brief. Basically that the story is passable and the gameplay almost kills the game.
Like, seriously, I had to force myself to keep playing through that awful combat system.

people keep bringing this up, well i dont really mean the game mechanics. i mean the game itself. like the characters and story and shizz. :D

I liked the ending though (though of course, the fact that we all already knew how it would end dulled it a little), and actually like Zack a lot more than Cloud. It doesn't help though, that I was sick of the VII spinoffs by the time I got to CC.

there really wasnt a chance to like cloud "more" than zack. he appeared like 6-7 times tops. if you mean you prefer him more than cloud i agree.

lesbians ♥;1077299 said:
Hated it sorry man. Because I personally felt like it messed up the original game that I grew up as a child, and memories and things. The story felt twisted to try and make Zack a better hero and Sephiroth badguy......

umm excuse me princess? how is making zack a hero and sephy a villain (when it was really genesis/hollander) twisted? are you saying zack should be the bad guy and sephy being the hero idk man what do you mean?

and nobody is saying that zack has to take cloud's place. the whole thing is that CLOUD to ZACK'S place lol. this wasnt cloud's turn to shine. he said barely anyone knew him, so naturally he wouldnt be in there a lot. VII is still there, with all its brilliant storyline. but this is CC, not VII.

lesbians ♥;1077299 said:
I to didn't enjoy Zack. I found him annoying and too child- like and sort of like Tidus from FFX. He does mature, but he still has that main character of a cheesy boy anime feel, like One Piece or Bleach. Just, ugh. Cloud felt raw and human with decent flaws. Zack imo belonged in a episode of Bleach imo.

this i can understand. im not saying hes a very unique character, in fact there are a ton like him. and, again, cloud copied zack (for the most part) in 1st disk

lesbians ♥;1077299 said:
AERIS felt like a mess as well, who the fuck is scared of the sky ? This is the girl whom originally threatened to bash up a dangerous Underground Pimp's guys penis. that sent out one of his henchmen to originally try and rape her.

The Sky- OH LORDE , SOMEBODY COVER ME, THE TERROR

So stupid.

LOL XD that was rather funny! yea i didnt know why aerith was scared of the goshdarn sky.

Personally, the game is great if it were to be on its own merits. obviously that can't be done since its part of a bigger game (ff7) and deviates from it. But even then some features could've been better.

For example: we've missed every single scene of any confrontation between Angeal and Genesis to the point where we don't care about their relationship.

yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have feels with this sooooooooo much. the game leaned a bit too hard on sephy and genesis rather than angeal and genesis when they were friends first! i found that unfair a bit :(

They changed Zack's personality. partly because there's probably a side of Zack we just didn't get to see and that's partly because the only side to Zack we get to see was the Zack cloud knew of. But even so, we could've seen more Cloud/Zack interaction.

once again, agreed 100%. i felt like i was cheated somewhat when so soon after he met cloud they were going to be whisked away to nibilhiem. to soon for me, and i liked CC cloud a lot more than the current one.

i'm going to say it: the leveling system is not "broken" but, the fact that it takes the facade of a lottery system, makes it out to look like it is. However there are bigger areas in the game that are based on luck. such as some magic pot encounters.

the missions could've expanded further into more areas. the places get old fast.

no argument there.

overall, any other complaints, i blame the console choice. it could've been much more if it chose to be on playstation 2. we could've actually since vincent in that grave, rather than hinting it. we could've seen some more free roam. we could've seen some party members too.

it was disappointing it was on the PSP rather than console and therefore got shorter time. it would have been 100000000000000000000% better if they switched DoC and CC's places. i would have been entirely satisfied.

umm excuse me princess?

Sorry Link
:kylie:

how is making zack a hero and sephy a villain (when it was really genesis/hollander) twisted? are you saying zack should be the bad guy and sephy being the hero idk man what do you mean?

No I meant that they twisted/ changed the original storyline. It was originally meant to be about Cloud Strife and him overcoming his past issues, being injected with Jenova Cells, and being used and abused mentally by Sephiroth and him becoming that underdog hero that saves the world.

Crisis Core changes that to make Zack and Sephiroth more " badass "

and nobody is saying that zack has to take cloud's place. the whole thing is that CLOUD to ZACK'S place lol.

Not really, Cloud didn't steal or take anything, because Cloud was the original hero, Final Fantasy VII is his game, his adventure, his story. Zack was just a small tiny NPC character that you could see in a optional cutscence and Sephiroth's mindfucking him at the Northern Crater. Cloud wanted to be like Zack and the Jenova Cells and Mako Poisoning made him think that he was Zack like a mental illness.

Zack before Crisis Core was just a minor character that was apart of Cloud's past whom sadly died by Shrina shooting. Cloud didn't take any place. Cloud is the original main hero and Zack was one of Cloud's old friends.

this wasnt cloud's turn to shine.

Doesn't matter, there is no excuse to try and use CLOUD'S STORY to make Zack and Sephiroth Gary- Stu's. It is possible to make a past story, focus on somebody else and still have the main character keep what is his or hers, example Final Fantasy IV After Years focuses on Ceodore, Cecil's son, but it doesn't take what Cecil did within the original Final Fantasy IV away from him. He's still King Cecil, the one that defeated Zeromus and was that Dark Knight whom became a hero.

he said barely anyone knew him, so naturally he wouldnt be in there a lot.

Oh bullshit. PLENTY of people knew Cloud. Nibelhiem was a small village but it wasn't like empty or anything, the kids who bullied him and teased him knew him and they too left Nibelhiem to try and become the next Sephiroth, and Tifa even though he hides from her because of his crush.

VII is still there, with all its brilliant storyline. but this is CC, not VII.
Doesn't give them a excuse to change the original story to try and make Zack and Sephiroth " cool "

I mean Zack is the reason for Seventh Heaven, Yuffie's Materia kleptomaniac obsession and more. Yuffie even somehow now knows Zack, wouldn't it be strange in 5 years time " Oh, btw this man acts like that man whom triggered my stealing craze, but he's not, I should be worried about this, but instead I'll just be boat sick and continue stealing materia "

And Cloud knowing Tseng and the rest as well.

PLOT-HOLES.

plot_holes_everywhere_by_funnydank-d3grv6n.jpg

cloud copied zack (for the most part) in 1st disk
No he didn't, because the ZaCloud in Final Fantasy VII and the Zack in Crisis Core are so different it's not funny. The ZaCloud is a purple clothed arrogrant, dickish, money-obsessed, calm and collected, unpredictable, sort of silly, mysterious, assface.

That is NOT Zack Fair that was in Crisis Core, see what I meant that shit was changed from the original classic ? I may sound annoyed, because I am. Upset even, because I grew up on FF 7 and it was the game that showed me when I was little that I can play games and don't suck at everything, only 10-ish years later be turned into a Shonen Jump wanna be video game. Like and love Crisis Core all you desire, but I will never.

Basically what she said above me...

This game adds more plot holes than it answers (which it answers nothing about Clouds past, or very little)

On top of that the level up system is the worst that I played in any rpg!

Also the story line is a joke and makes FFVII storyline more confusing than ever!

Taking the game as it's own game... still bad... Zack was like a pre-Snow with the way he went on with his "hero" and "living legacy" talk.
Sephiroth went from a mama's boy to Genesis just making him a cry baby...

and Genesis is like a poetic bully... which doesn't match...

Overall I say this game is probably the worst in the franchise of Final Fantasy that I have played (and yes I played all the main titles even the online ones (although I only did the beta for XIV)

and I played X-2, XIII-2, XII DS game... Tactics... Tactics Advance and A2... DOC and a few others... and I have to say... this game is just bad...

Crisis Core… Well, to each their own, and I know a lot of people who love this game, but personally I wasn’t keen on it. I wouldn't state that I hated it extremely, but for me it captured the core of the crisis (the decline of rounded enjoyability of the FF series, for me). I'll avoid gameplay elements and focus on story and character concepts.

I personally disliked the story. It diminished the impact of the villain Sephiroth, and also the use of Jenova, but more importantly the entire plot of Final Fantasy VII itself. The events of the original game are no longer as important, for there were precedents (many of them!). Sephiroth was not unique, for there were many other people with Jenova cells flapping about beforehand. Crisis Core interrupts the mythology of the FFVII universe and deducts from it rather than improves it.

A few particulars:
The One-Winged Angel concept worked better for Sephiroth, but even with him in the original game it was never a huge thing. Originally Sephiroth had the ‘one wing’ (plus a sort of indescribable freaky chariot of wings for legs as well) during the end battle of FFVII, but did not walk around with one wing during the game. It’s interesting symbolism for a sort of fallen angel figure (which Sephiroth undoubtedly is). Fallen is the key word here, for I can imagine that flying with a single wing positioned like this would be quite impossible. That would be less soaring like an eagle and more clumsily crashing into every wall like a daddy long legs / cranefly, if it would even be possible to lift-off at all (rather than just hop to the side, spin round and splat onto your face). They’d have more chance at flight if they whirled the wing around like a helicopter blade, but everyone would agree that looks silly. :argor:

The concept of a one-winged angel sounds cool and poetic, and I’d be willing to suspend disbelief there, but it worked a lot better for Sephiroth than it did for Genesis, Angeal and Hollander, etc. There is religious imagery linked behind Genesis and Angeal as well as with Sephiroth, I suppose (the names, the apple-concept, etc), but it was more powerful with Sephiroth. And more importantly, it was fresher with Sephiroth. The impact was powerful and precise, but with these later retrograde inclusions the impact is spread more thinly over a wider area less effectively.

I like the character Zack in Crisis Core, but he is not quite how I imagined him when I played FF7. I imagined him to be friendly, sure, but also a sort of cool and professional / still slightly mysterious type as well. But when I played Crisis Core this was no longer the case. We saw him grow into the guy we see at Nibelheim in no time at all. All of his insecurities, etc, etc. We saw him grow up, and it didn't seem as if he was a professional elite SOLDIER on near-par with Sephiroth. He’s no longer that mysterious guy that we see on a photograph that we’d thought had been Cloud. Expanding on Zack’s character was much needed considering he was the playable character, but I felt at times that they were trying too hard to make him too young and inexperienced at times in order to be relatable and to walk us through it.

As for Genesis… I like poetry, etc, but the use of the Loveless poem in this game seemed pretentious. Genesis would quote lines from this at just about every meeting, whilst chomping on an apple. I understand that he held the poem in high regard, as did many other people, and that the themes did relate to the plot, but I guess that the way it was used didn’t feel right for me. He was more of a frustrating villain than one that was interesting to love to hate. I guess he is comparable to people who continuously quote passages from poems or religious texts as if it alone stands as evidence of a truth. Perhaps he represents the dangers of this and how it can sometimes shape and warp the mind. That I don't mind, but for me the way they used Genesis didn't have much power.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like good literature, and interpreting it in different ways, etc. But to me, poetry is poetry, literature is literature, etc, and it is best enjoyed either personally or with an interested audience, and preferably when resting from polluting the world with clones and destroying things, not during it and to an audience which wants to put an end to your schemes. I guess it would be different and perhaps enjoyable if the poetry which Genesis recited was more interesting to me, but I didn’t like it enough. Perhaps it reads better as a whole piece rather than fragments out of context?

But I can see what they were doing there. The pop-star / Gackt image. The biting of the apple (considered to be a particularly cute and attractive thing to some people, I’ve read). The reading of poetry. It all served to create a romantic-type character which makes some people squeal and faint. The idea itself isn't bad, but it is a particular archetype of character which is not to all tastes.

Not my personal cup of tea, however. More like a cup of tears to me.

As far as villains in the FFVII universe go, I much preferred Sephiroth. The original Sephiroth of FFVII itself (like Cloud) had more character depth than he would in his other appearances since. For me, that is. That said, I wasn’t against seeing Sephiroth in Crisis Core acting as he did pre-Nibelheim, and that was quite good to see.

My final point is that, since I didn't particularly like the Genesis addition or most of the new story aspects, I didn't feel that there was a need for the game. The Nibelheim scene was good to see, but we've already seen it many, many times. It was in the original game, it was in an anime, and then it was in Crisis Core. I didn't need another game to see it. Worse for me is that with all of the Genesis stuff going on at the same time (not even before, but at the same time) it felt at times that Sephiroth was more of a sub-plot.

So personally, I treat the FFVII plot separately to Crisis Core, and prefer not to imagine the Crisis Core storyline having happened when I think about FFVII. Many will disagree, and that is fine. We all hold our own private reactions.

This game just made me so mad I can't even express it. I've heard so many good things about this game and I was so happy to start playing it. But to be honest, I'm reaaaally disappointed. The story was fair, I liked the characters and the graphics was awesome, but that's all. The game mechanics are simply aweful. But really. I wonder why people like CC when the leveling up is like a gamble (and ofc as a really unlucky person I could only leveled up like once in a few hours' playing), and hate FFII where you can progress as much as you like. I invested tons of hours to this game and was still so weak that I could die by just a monster looking at me. I tried to do extra missions but they were so dull that I can't even progress with that... Somehow I still managed to finish the game (but due to the fact I was sooooo weak, I died like 500000x times), but that isn't thanks to this game but my tactical skills (thanks, FFVII!).

Last edited:
It's definitely the least worst of the compilation, but that isn't saying much. I still hated what they did to the characters, especially Aerith, and Genesis was such a terrible addition who dragged down every scene he appeared in.

Back