The Avatar Series

Mikasa

Call me Faith!
Gil
Spoilers ahoy!

Be aware that there will be spoilers ahead!

--

Found it strange that there isn't a trace of a thread for the Avatar cartoon (some might argue 'anime') series anywhere here... But well! Just finished watching the second season ('book', as they prefer to call it), and well. Meh. My feelings about it are mixed. Still, I think that as a series, it's pretty amazing!

I especially love the settings. Seems pretty cool to live in such a place. But well.

To those that have already watched the season finale, what do you think of it?

Well, very, very honestly speaking, I thought the lead-up to that final battle was shitty. Way to ruin one's mood. As I'm watching, I'm feeling so bummed out by how badly Korra was faring. I was starting to fear the Dark Avatar notion would actually become reality! It's funny too, how my friends and I were discussing how a Dark Avatar could in fact happen, since they introduced the Dark Spirit, Batu. So when I heard Unalaq talk about it. My God!

And of course, what can go wrong will go wrong, isn't it. So it happened, and wow, the Dark Avatar pretty much dominated everything to an extent it was soooo frustrating to watch! It was only in the last episode where Korra, in a sudden moment of ingenuity, randomly comprehends Tenzin's wise words to such a deep level that she was able to perform some form of astral projection... Which really speaks volumes about the power of that Tree of Time thing, or whatever it was called, I forget.

And then she proceeds to fight the Dark Avatar, still fails somewhat, then gets helped by Tenzin's daughter... Who, well, pretty much descended out of nowhere. Perhaps another genius astral projector. And then Korra instantly defeats the Dark Avatar yet again - when moments earlier, the Dark Avatar could best her in combat. Well, whatever though, I like that it ended on a more positive note... But still.

The amount of satisfaction that I have watching the end of the Last Airbender series, and this book in the Legend of Korra series... It's so markedly different. Where in the Last Airbender, there was an excellent build-up to that last episode, here in Legend of Korra, I find it's too abrupt. Well, not that the battle was ever fought fairly (with Aang and his Avatar State being too powerful for lil' Fire Lord, or Phoenix King as he preferred, Ozai). Still, the way the story developed in the Last Airbender, when Aang had to travel far and wide to seek masters to teach him the elements.

Culminating in that final, decisive battle... And not to mention some episodes to also show his feelings. I vividly remember an episode where he was so anxious about the upcoming battle with Ozai that he could not sleep. Here in Korra, I don't really see a lot of that development. It's a pity, really.

I'd much rather the developers focused on a longer storyline spanning several books, rather than individual story arcs in each book. Well, it was a happy ending, at least, kinda. Unalaq's fate is suspiciously... over? I get the sense that link that he forged with the Dark Spirit isn't going to break simply because Korra did some fancy water show. Maybe... A line of Dark Avatars to become the enemies of the Avatars in future? Well, whatever though, can't wait to see what else can they do.

And well, with the relationship issues. Really. Never-ending push and pull. Mako's one handsome dude. It's a little of a waste that he's not going to go along with Korra... But well, Asami's pretty. Man, that guy has two pretty ladies around him. And Korra looks better with her hair down. Well, I'm almost certain Mako and her will get married at the end of book 4. Call it a woman's instincts :P

Yeah well, and that's that for spoilers. I'd be interested to see what you guys think of it as well, if you've watched the series.

Last edited:
Wait episode 12 is the finale? Damn :(
I have to see 11 and 12 yet but I love this series.

Nope, nope. Episode 12 isn't the finale. 14 is. I don't know why, but where I watched it, it released episodes 13 and 14 some time after I was done with 11 and 12. Google it! According to the comments there, it appears there was some kind of hour-long special screened at midnight.

I don't live in the US, so I don't know if that's the case, but anyway, it's been uploaded!

Gotcha and Ive seen. Conclusion I liked season 1 way more. Season 2 seems rushed as hell somehow. Bolin with the twins was hilarious. Unalaq dumb antagonist compared to Amon and the chi blockers. New array of metal benders in season 1 rebels revolution and conspiracy and betrayal, but in season 2 it felt so cliché. Season 1 had more depth. Now the spirit world is open and I cant tell if the new book will improve. .I loved the ep about the first avatar though. In many eps I could just feel tht a lot was rushed in the writing.

Yeah, I second your opinion. Though, in fact, I'd much rather they followed the format of sorts from the Last Airbender, where there are over 20 episodes per season. That way, it allows for a lot more character development. It probably wouldn't feel as rushed. We will also be able to understand how Korra could do what she did in season 2. It's become a sort of a joke between me and my friends too.

At the tree of time, we were talking about how Korra was suddenly able to achieve cosmic awareness and I-don't-know-what with her cosmic self and become gigantic. All because Tenzin came in and told her, 'I believe in you'. Tada~ And the motivation kicked in and amazingly, she becomes capable of what no other Avatars has ever done before. Though to be fair, maybe the Harmonic Convergence and the Tree of Time amplified her astral projection... But still, all this from one line:

'I believe in you'.

We found that hiliarious :lew:

And of course, the side characters could have had a lot more development. It's quite a potential for more endearment for the audience, I'd think. Or even comic relief. I find that ever since we progressed from Aang to Korra, the story got significantly more serious. Like the comedy aspect of the show has been reduced somewhat. Still existent, but in weaker form than in the previous series. A pity, I think! :sad3:

Well I found Bolin to be extremely funny but I get what you say. Yeah there should have been more eps in each season to flesh out the characters more. Yeah exactly what the hell was up with Jinora she actually saved the day not Korra oh snap.

Interesting conclusion if Aang would fight against dark avatar:
#15 Posted by thangkhung (1 posts) - 1 day, 7 hours ago - Show Bio

I'll say that Aang still win. Korra in avatar state doesnt show the massive scale of power as Aang did in the battle with Ozai because Korra's connection to her past lives is not as strong as Aang's. She was not fully mastered air bending while Aang went through many hardships just to get the best bender to teach him the bendings so that he has considerable power in his bendings. Aang will definitely defeat the humanoid Unalag. The giant Unalag vs Aang will be a tough call but Aang would still have the upper hand based on the scale of power that they had showed. The giant Unalag could only use water bending, energy beam and his tentacles. His water bending when he used to flow the ships wasnt as big as Aang's water bending in avatar state when he defeated the Fire Nation ships in Northern water tribe. The engery beam also didnt show much of destructive power on the city and I dont think he can get Aang with the tentacles since Aang could fly really fast in his avatar state using his air sphere. As for Aang in his battle vs Ozai, his avatar state was able to bend the ocean's water, huge size of fire using both of his hands and feet + mouth at the same time. His air bending could created an air beam that can tear the rock. His earth bending was powerful enough to separate the whole city from the surrounding areas (if u read the manga about the event after the hundred year war) while Unalag's energy beam only destroyed several buildings. Water bending is weak against earth bending as well so Aang will get the upper hand on this. Also, dont forget that Aang had well knowledge of energy bending, he could also use the Tree of time to bend his spirit and fight Unalag/vaatu like Korra did. However, neither Aang's avatar state and Unalag/Vaatu giant form could exist at the same time since Raava could only exist in Aang or in Unalag. Thus, the only possible battle are Aang vs humanoid Unalag (Aang would kick his butt) or giant Unalag/vaatu vs Aang's spirit form (which I think Aang would still win since Korra won so Aang could as well).

Avatar-Escape-From-the-Spirit-World.png

koispirit.jpg

Now we have found the true cause of the elements:
Aang_with_Lion_Turtle.png

That's an interesting speculation. I suppose Korra at this point in time wouldn't be as much of a match as Aang, since the two had vastly different experiences throughout their lives. Where Aang had to undergo tumultuous hardships to seek out masters of each element, Korra merely breezed through the elements without bothering to master them (at least, in the case of air). Not sure how she 'mastered' the other elements, I suppose in a way, she may have been rather prodigious...? Or perhaps as a sheltered child of the White Lotus, kept away from the world for the most part, she had dedicated years of relentless training?

Well, perhaps it's something the show may move to explore in greater detail at some point... Or maybe never. But considering how most Avatars eventually manage to perform rather extraordinary bending feats (E.G. Avatar Kiyoshi bending Kiyoshi Island away from the mainland), I have no doubt Korra may one day become a great bender as well.

About Energy Bending... That's something I'm curious about as well. Supposedly, it's a forgotten form of bending. Heard somewhere that there was a time where people used to bend energies within themselves, rather than the elements. I wonder what happened to that. At the time of Avatar Wan, people had already forgotten Energy Bending it appears, since only the Lion Turtles were the one doing that to pass the bending on to ordinary people. But oh well!

And I wouldn't really think the true cause of the elements were from the Lion Turtles. Well, elemental bending, yes. But the elements, definitely not.

Back