Are battles in XIII significantly more difficult than in previous games?

As I've said, it's not that it was a huge deal, it's just that it was one more thing on the never-ending list of things I disliked about the game. I wouldn't gripe about it if there was anything redeeming in the game, but sadly for me there was not. The weapons system annoyed me like pretty much everything else did.
yeah..b.ut to me that was the least of my gripes....there are bigger, worst issues within the gameplay. i just never really saw that particular one as a strongone. but its still an issue.

yeah..b.ut to me that was the least of my gripes....there are bigger, worst issues within the gameplay. i just never really saw that particular one as a strongone. but its still an issue.

I think I mentioned it when there was a comparison made to FFVIII. My point wasn't really about the weapons at the time, it was more about the fact that in VIII you had a way to make your characters stronger other than your level or weapons. In XIII you only have your level or weapons. Both of which are restricted.

There was many reasons for the 'restrictions', and it had nothing to do with torturing poor ol' gamer or some break in XIII's system.

I don't know if anyone has realized it or not, but video games collectively are putting up safeguards against exploitation so that the game is actually played the way it is intended to be played.

By my experience with FFXIII, I very rarely even got to a crystarium cap before- voila- it expanded again.

Also, you would have never learned to be good at the game if the caps were not introduced. You would simply over leveled and walked through the game unsatisfied, still moping about how 'bad' the game is.

I was never unsatisfied with any of the other games I played that didn't have restrictions. I've rarely been so unsatisfied with a game. "The way the game is intended to be played" in XIII's case there is no playing to be done, that's the whole point. Taking away all the options so that all you're left with is pressing X over and over only means that you're no longer 'playing' a game at all, you're just watching an interactive movie.

I was never unsatisfied with any of the other games I played that didn't have restrictions. I've rarely been so unsatisfied with a game. "The way the game is intended to be played" in XIII's case there is no playing to be done, that's the whole point. Taking away all the options so that all you're left with is pressing X over and over only means that you're no longer 'playing' a game at all, you're just watching an interactive movie.

That's not a point because it's simply not true. In fact, the exact opposite is true- over leveling makes the game 'unplayable'. Then you really are just pressing a button over and over again.

And guess what you are doing in other FF's anyway? Down, X, Down, Down, X, X, Down, X.
How superior.

These criticisms are cliched and seen all over disgruntled reviews, each one as poorly presented as the next.
I could talk just as unreasonably about any game, and it's just base prejudice.

That's not a point because it's simply not true. In fact, the exact opposite is true- over leveling makes the game 'unplayable'. Then you really are just pressing a button over and over again.

And guess what you are doing in other FF's anyway? Down, X, Down, Down, X, X, Down, X.
How superior.

These criticisms are cliched and seen all over disgruntled reviews, each one as poorly presented as the next.
I could talk just as unreasonably about any game, and it's just base prejudice.

We're not talking about overlevelling here. If the cap was high enough that you never reached it in normal gameplay then fine, that would be more acceptable, but the fact is it's not that high, I reached it without even trying to level my characters more than normal.

I was actually talking about the levelling system when I said all you do is press X. Fair enough if other aspects of the game required more input, but they don't. The entire game is basically just running forward and pressing X, whether you're on the map, in battle or on the Crystarium.

It's not unreasonable to point out a valid fault. When you buy a game the expectation is that you are going to get to play it. Not watch it play itself.

We're not talking about overlevelling here. If the cap was high enough that you never reached it in normal gameplay then fine, that would be more acceptable, but the fact is it's not that high, I reached it without even trying to level my characters more than normal.

I was actually talking about the levelling system when I said all you do is press X. Fair enough if other aspects of the game required more input, but they don't. The entire game is basically just running forward and pressing X, whether you're on the map, in battle or on the Crystarium.

It's not unreasonable to point out a valid fault. When you buy a game the expectation is that you are going to get to play it. Not watch it play itself.

So you went through the whole game breezing through the battles and never had to manually choose actions, often, shift often, set up your characters right and everything else that goes with FF strategy?

That's called a lie, and the fact that reviews of this game are so full of just that is shameful to the fan base. Sure, some of the game is on training wheels, but when they get ripped off the bike, you're left glad that you learned.

Also, the crystarium allows you to choose which class of each character you want to progress. It goes from frequent capping, to that, to no cap. It progresses alongside necessity and challenge.

And that's all just the truth; the straight record; the reality.
I don't understand the apparent temper tantrum and perpetual hate of the game, but the rank dishonesty is disturbing.

And

you are running around the map and pressing X in virtually every FF.
Are you starting to see my frustration with people's bogus criticisms of this game?
Probably not, but oh well..

So you went through the whole game breezing through the battles and never had to manually choose actions, often, shift often, set up your characters right and everything else that goes with FF strategy?

That's called a lie, and the fact that reviews of this game are so full of just that is shameful to the fan base. Sure, some of the game is on training wheels, but when they get ripped off the bike, you're left glad that you learned.

Also, the crystarium allows you to choose which class of each character you want to progress. It goes from frequent capping, to that, to no cap. It progresses alongside necessity and challenge.

And that's all just the truth; the straight record; the reality.
I don't understand the apparent temper tantrum and perpetual hate of the game, but the rank dishonesty is disturbing.

And

you are running around the map and pressing X in virtually every FF.
Are you starting to see my frustration with people's bogus criticisms of this game?
Probably not, but oh well..

I never had to choose anything, no. The game did all the choosing for me, XIII doesn't give you choices. You talk about strategy and 'setting up your characters right' but there are no other alternatives given, there is only one way to play the game and one way only.

It's not a lie. The Crystarium involves pressing X until you run out of CP. You make no decisions in it at all, it's entirely linear in its design.

Are you telling me you can make Hope your main commando and Snow your main healer? Are you telling me you can choose how much you want to level your characters before you face a certain boss, or decide you want Lightning to be able to cast Curaja? Or really is there only one way to play – the only way the game allows you to do anything – by following the one and only path available in everything from the map to the battlefield to the Crystarium. You don't get to choose which class you want each character to be, the game chooses that for you every step of the way.

There is always a cap, there is a cap right up until after you've completed the entire game. It's not a temporary, tutorial thing, it's there the entire game. The difference is you are 'running around' not 'running straight forward'. Very few games allow only one direction for you to progress in. That is not dishonesty, that is the reality. I mean it's fine if you don't like choice, if you want to go through the game never thinking or deciding what you want for your characters or devising different strategies, but just because it's satisfying to you does not mean it isn't a problem for other players.

I never had to choose anything, no. The game did all the choosing for me, XIII doesn't give you choices. You talk about strategy and 'setting up your characters right' but there are no other alternatives given, there is only one way to play the game and one way only.

It's not a lie. The Crystarium involves pressing X until you run out of CP. You make no decisions in it at all, it's entirely linear in its design.

Are you telling me you can make Hope your main commando and Snow your main healer? Are you telling me you can choose how much you want to level your characters before you face a certain boss, or decide you want Lightning to be able to cast Curaja? Or really is there only one way to play – the only way the game allows you to do anything – by following the one and only path available in everything from the map to the battlefield to the Crystarium. You don't get to choose which class you want each character to be, the game chooses that for you every step of the way.

There is always a cap, there is a cap right up until after you've completed the entire game. It's not a temporary, tutorial thing, it's there the entire game. The difference is you are 'running around' not 'running straight forward'. Very few games allow only one direction for you to progress in. That is not dishonesty, that is the reality. I mean it's fine if you don't like choice, if you want to go through the game never thinking or deciding what you want for your characters or devising different strategies, but just because it's satisfying to you does not mean it isn't a problem for other players.

Final Fantasy is not Elder Scrolls, and there are plenty of FF's in which one cannot build characters however they want them.
Did IX give you leeway to make Zidane learn curative spells? And at what price are you teaching Tidus curative spells in X if not looping him around hours of sphere grid, actually getting the spells and then raising his magic power to make it count for something?

The 'choice' argument, as I've said before, is impotent. Choice is given to systems which are open to it. XIII is not designed for utter freedom of choice to work anymore then IX is, and for that matter most rpgs in general aren't.

So I don't know how you think you are getting off on that argument.
How did the capping limit you in XIII other then just the fact that it is.. capping?
It seems like an excuse to just bash the game.

You get complete freedom after you've completed the quest line, but it's not like you can't finish half the side quests without hitting the cap before then anyway. It is a much over exaggerated piece of argument.

And with everything else, yes, it is all complete and utter dishonesty. You have all the freedom in the world in battle, the only real restriction is that you have to be able to do it with one character, which others are automated in 'intelligence' to mimic you actually playing in a team effort rather then controlling robots.
You are constantly making use of ample strategy in any battle where the enemy isn't ten levels below you.

IGN gave the game a 8.9, editors choice.
That means that the way people make the game look so horrifyingly bad is just a contemptible load of utter wank.

That means that the way people make the game look so horrifyingly bad is just a contemptible load of utter wank.

I like how IGN was chosen here. The people who are biased and wrong about a hell of a lot of their reviews. They're well known for it. They also gave FF12 a perfect score.

The fact that they gave the awful FF12 a perfect score and that they gave 13 a much lower one shows that even they couldn't bring themselves to lie about the game being perfect this time around.

As for being more on topic, the battles are simple in FF13. Some may be more time-consuming, but never difficult in the slightest. Look at the last boss where dying would be through pure boredom of fighting it for so damn long.

I like how IGN was chosen here. The people who are biased and wrong about a hell of a lot of their reviews. They're well known for it. They also gave FF12 a perfect score.

The fact that they gave the awful FF12 a perfect score and that they gave 13 a much lower one shows that even they couldn't bring themselves to lie about the game being perfect this time around.

Most all western magazines give it a good score, and Japanese reviews are exactly the same.

Either way, being biased is not being an outright liar of the century. They aren't going to give a game 8 or higher if it's deserving of a 4, and that's just honest fact. If one is so disgruntled at FFXIII that they ared denying reality, then there is something more concerning then gaming opinions abroad.

As for being more on topic, the battles are simple in FF13. Some may be more time-consuming, but never difficult in the slightest. Look at the last boss where dying would be through pure boredom of fighting it for so damn long.

No battle in FF is hard if your party is well trained, especially the final boss when your characters are equivalent to small natural disasters.

To say FFXIII was not difficult in the slightest is one of two things:

Amply over training
or
Lie

Nobody is going to tell me the game is that easy, that's just BS, through and through. I've played every FF and many of rpgs in my day, I should've had this remarkable, god-like ability to just breeze through it. It would be insulting to my intelligence if I knew it wasn't just plain dishonest.

Final Fantasy is not Elder Scrolls, and there are plenty of FF's in which one cannot build characters however they want them.
Did IX give you leeway to make Zidane learn curative spells? And at what price are you teaching Tidus curative spells in X if not looping him around hours of sphere grid, actually getting the spells and then raising his magic power to make it count for something?

The 'choice' argument, as I've said before, is impotent. Choice is given to systems which are open to it. XIII is not designed for utter freedom of choice to work anymore then IX is, and for that matter most rpgs in general aren't.

So I don't know how you think you are getting off on that argument.
How did the capping limit you in XIII other then just the fact that it is.. capping?
It seems like an excuse to just bash the game.

You get complete freedom after you've completed the quest line, but it's not like you can't finish half the side quests without hitting the cap before then anyway. It is a much over exaggerated piece of argument.

And with everything else, yes, it is all complete and utter dishonesty. You have all the freedom in the world in battle, the only real restriction is that you have to be able to do it with one character, which others are automated in 'intelligence' to mimic you actually playing in a team effort rather then controlling robots.
You are constantly making use of ample strategy in any battle where the enemy isn't ten levels below you.

I don't like or play the Elder Scolls games so why you even brought that up I have no idea. Yes there are FF's in which you cannot choose roles for each character, but as I have repeated many times. The problem with XIII is that there is no choices to be made anywhere at all. In other games even when there are restrictions on certain things, the player gets to decide in other developments. In XIII the player has no input at all and that is the problem.

I just got finished playing IX I can tell you there are many ways in which that game gives you choices. Choosing which abilities to teach your characters is only one of the many choices the player has.

You don't have freedom in battle in XIII because you don't choose who does what, you don't choose what any character other than the one you are controlling even does. You don't choose which abilities your own character has either and even if you don't use autobattle, your character is still limited to doing only what the game wants them do be able to do. You have no say in the matter.

Considering you keep going on about how reviewers are wrong, I find it really ironic that you now turn around and try to use one reviewer as the be all and end all of the opinion on XIII.

Considering you keep going on about how reviewers are wrong, I find it really ironic that you now turn around and try to use one reviewer as the be all and end all of the opinion on XIII.

I don't make any reviewer 'all they can be'. I simply make the point that if gaming magazines give it an 8, and you give it a 1, then there's a big damn liar aboard and that at worst, it is deserving of no less then a 7 as far as honest, collective fanbase opinion is concerned.

It's irritating to my senses, like a screeching chalkboard from a creationist apologist, to hear such nonsense.

I don't make any reviewer 'all they can be'. I simply make the point that if gaming magazines give it an 8, and you give it a 1, then there's a big damn liar aboard and that at worst, it is deserving of no less then a 7 as far as honest, collective fanbase opinion is concerned.

It's irritating to my senses, like a screeching chalkboard from a creationist apologist, to hear such nonsense.

I never said I'd rate the game a 1/10. I haven't mentioned rating the game at all as far as I can remember. Also, we're talking about opinion here, and yes reviewers are opinionated too. It's impossible to ever give a review of a game without that review being opinionated because everyone has preferences and as soon as you've played a game your main preferences are going to decide a lot about how well you received it. There are no lies when it comes to people's personal opinions. Now if someone were to make a factual statement about the game - like saying you could not make Lightning a commando - that would be a lie. Discussing why people like or dislike aspects of a game cannot be lies because it's all about personal preferences.

I never said I'd rate the game a 1/10. I haven't mentioned rating the game at all as far as I can remember. Also, we're talking about opinion here, and yes reviewers are opinionated too. It's impossible to ever give a review of a game without that review being opinionated because everyone has preferences and as soon as you've played a game your main preferences are going to decide a lot about how well you received it. There are no lies when it comes to people's personal opinions. Now if someone were to make a factual statement about the game - like saying you could not make Lightning a commando - that would be a lie. Discussing why people like or dislike aspects of a game cannot be lies because it's all about personal preferences.

Saying that winning battles throughout the game is like pressing a button over and over again is plain dishonesty, the base dishonesty that has raped this thread.

And I'm about tired of hearing such dishonesty, especially from people who are dishonest about another game's actual negative traits to make it look better then it is.

And all I've gotten in revealing any of that is countless flack and bombardment. It speaks for itself and is very unbecoming of alleged fans of a game series. How does one respect games and not the makers? It's ridiculous. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should bleed all over it and it's fans and producers, bearing false witness like the Pharisees.
That's what it is- your lot are like the Pharisees of FF :huh:.

Saying that winning battles throughout the game is like pressing a button over and over again is plain dishonesty, the base dishonesty that has raped this thread.

And I'm about tired of hearing such dishonesty, especially from people who are dishonest about the traits of another game's actual negative traits to make it look better then it is.

And all I've gotten in revealing any of that is countless flack and bombardment. It speaks for itself and is very unbecoming of alleged fans of a game series. How does one respect games and not the makers? It's ridiculous. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should bleed all over it and it's fans and producers, bearing false witness like the Pharisees.
That's what it is- your lot are like the Pharisees of FF :huh:.

It's not dishonest if it's honestly how I experienced the game and it is. The entire time was just pressing X over and over: X,X,X,shift,X,X,X,X,shift,X,X,X...I tried to do things differently, I tried to play it any other way, I tried to take control of the character and manually tell them what to do but you know what, the game actually punishes you for doing that. It's slower, you're usually choosing the same attacks as the autobattle and if you make any mistakes you get a lower star marking which means less items after battle. You are right that other games can be played that way too, but the difference is that it's a choice in those other games, in XIII it is the way the game makes you play it.

Do you ever wonder that when lots and lots of people tell you what you are saying is wrong...you actually might be wrong? Surely that speaks for itself? As for respect, I respect people who like XIII up until the point where they tell me I'm wrong and a liar simple for not sharing in their like of the game. Seriously as I told you before, if you like the kind of gameplay and story XIII serves than that's great for you, but I'm not wrong for disliking it any more than you are right for liking it. Surely you've heard of the concept of personal preferences, everything would be very boring if everyone liked exactly the same things.

Just to clarify here, are you saying IGN is biased because you thought XII was awful and IGN rated otherwise? If so, that's not a very good argument.

It's not dishonest if it's honestly how I experienced the game and it is. The entire time was just pressing X over and over: X,X,X,shift,X,X,X,X,shift,X,X,X...I tried to do things differently, I tried to play it any other way but there is no other way, other than just not playing at all. You are right that other games can be played that way too, but the difference is that it's a choice in those other games, in XIII it is the way the game makes you play it.

I simply am just done with this. I have spoken on this thoroughly on this thread, have shown the argument to be false, and you've basically just gone right to repeating it anyway.

When I see a denial complex, I state it and leave it alone. Why waste time with something utterly incorrigible to reason or fact?

Do you ever wonder that when lots and lots of people tell you what you are saying is wrong...you actually might be wrong?

Yes, when it's not adulterated with what is apparently a consequence of obscenely poor 'group bias' or due to some fanaticism.

I might actually be wrong if I could pop in FFXIII and witness what you all say about the game. Which I did today; I loaded one of my old profiles just to make sure I wasn't simply delusional and..
guess what?

You all are dishonest as fuck. Never seen, well, any video game be falsely harassed the way XIII is. It is group bias at it's worse, probably the worst band wagon the FF business has ever had to deal with.

I simply am just done with this. I have spoken on this thoroughly on this thread, have shown the argument to be false, and you've basically just gone right to repeating it anyway.

When I see a denial complex, I state it and leave it alone. Why waste time with something utterly incorrigible to reason or fact?

Yes, when it's not adulterated with what is apparently a consequence of obscenely poor 'group bias' or due to some fanaticism.

I might actually be wrong if I could pop in FFXIII and witness what you all say about the game. Which I did today; I loaded one of my old profiles just to make sure I wasn't simply delusional and..
guess what?

You all are dishonest as fuck. Never seen, well, any video game be falsely harassed the way XIII is. It is group bias at it's worse, probably the worst band wagon the FF business has ever had to deal with.

You haven't shown anything to be false. Where have you 'shown the argument to be false', you've done nothing but say that I'm lying and done nothing to prove how that's even possible considering I'm talking about my own opinions and dislikes with the game. The very few factual statements I've made are true, and if you really have popped in a save then you'd know that. But I have a feeling it's my opinions you're trying to 'prove false' and that you simply cannot do, because opinions are not right or wrong.

The point is – you can't experience what people who dislike the game experience because the things they dislike about it you actually like. I mean, surely you can at least understand that much? Something that you find good, is not for a fact good, it's just your preference. Someone else can play the exact same thing and dislike it. That's not dishonest. That is called preferences. Seriously.

Also...how can a game be 'harassed'? A game can be criticized, but harassed? Also considering that everything that has been complained about has been a valid part of the game, it's not exactly false criticism.

You haven't shown anything to be false. Where have you 'shown the argument to be false', you've done nothing but say that I'm lying and done nothing to prove how that's even possible considering I'm talking about my own opinions and dislikes with the game.

Just like how everything I've stated can be seen as true by playing through FFXIII- demonstrably true, one can simply look through the thread and see that I've shown your statements to be dishonest.

It's ironic really. Your defense to calling you dishonest is to continue to be dishonest.

That is why I am done with this conversation. There's a whole lot of people in this wide world who can speak on XIII honestly, but all you have is a sore bandwagon.

Back