Thoughts on the MANDATORY Main Quest?

Ghostfreak

Gil
Big fan of Final Fantasy but I'm starting to find the main scenario quests boring and tedious. I'm level 30 and it seems that most of the quests consist of talk to this person, talk to that person, interact with an object, maybe fight 2-3 enemies, talk to someone, teleport, talk to another person...

Whats worse is you have to constantly travel across the globe to talk to this person, just to travel back 10 seconds later.

This comic really describes how I feel:

http://www.8bitgamer.com/comic/final-fantasy-mmorpg-quest-fetcher/

Thoughts on this? I don't mind questing but the mandatory questing is...a pain.

Last edited:
I honestly don't even pay much attention to the main story quest. It doesn't pull me in like the other FF series, but for one reason or another, I don't mind it at all. Actually I think I'm more into the Class/Job quest for my Lancer/Dragoon. A bit more intense and interesting than the main story line, though now that I'm level 34, the main story's picking up a bit more to my liking. It's setting you up for something big to come, so I can't wait for that.

As for traveling across the land, I prefer that. I constantly travel anyway to gather items for my crafting professions, so it's all good in my book.

kinda wish people didnt have to do dungeons to complete it

but what else are you going to do while you are not questing

maybe you should try to quest and grind fates at the same time. i remember getting quests in the northern thanalan area when i got to 49, did quests while waiting for FATE to spawn and it was pretty much as easy as getting to level 10 lol

many people find this kind of thing to be poorly implemented, but i think that exploration is a pretty important part of playing an MMO. i mean, like i said, you could just grind FATE or spam dungeons as a tank or healer class. but no matter what you do, there is a pretty fair amount of grinding in getting to level 50

2.1 is supposed to be increasing the amount of XP yielded by monster kills in dungeons and battlecraft leves though and is hopefully going to be released by December or earlier

I think that RPGs, even MMORPG's need that "main story" quest to get you going... or else if you don't have that, you kinda feel like you are just doing random crap for no reason... (which I might add turned me off from WoW many years ago.)

I haven't really played XIV yet, but I feel like having a main story can only improve the game play, and this early storyline is only used to get new players to learn the gameplay and slowly get them into the world.

I'm gonna have to agree with the above posters on this one. It's better to have a main storyline quest then nothing at all. It does cost alot of gil to teleport all over the place going where they tell you go to go but you only have to do it once, and you can make gil really easily.

^ or you can just mount up instead of teleport.

The main quest has it's high points, but they put way too much fluff into it to pad you through levels while doing it. That's what side quests and optional content is for, and should remain for. Just lock me out of the main story until I hit a certain level, because it's far less tedious and a lot easier to explain than sending me through 3,000 hoops for something simple.

and yes, necro posting.

I like the main story. It's not as deep as a singleplayer FF game and much of it goes out of its way to complicate things so you keep busy globetrotting, but if you roll with it it's actually a really nice way to experience the game world and level up quickly. The way things are laid out, most of the sidequests are scattered around hotzones for story quests, so I just follow the story along and hit any sidequests that interest me along the way. I've gotten to really know each area of Eorzea before moving on to new ones, so a) it's not overwhelming to dive into and b) I'm able to properly appreciate each place.

I haven't played XIV since the Xmas season(Moneys be scarce, yo) but I do recall enjoying the hint of a main quest that XIV has.

It's interesting, since it does eventually bring around therefore leading you into new aspects of the game to play!

I mean, as soon as I got the ability to move about through the main quest, I started most of the rest of the guilds I wanted... Leading to more playing time than I could manage.

Summary:

Main quest helps get you set when you're a bit like me, A "Fuck-arounder".

:awesome:

For someone who has cleared the main story so far. The games main story is very good for a MMO Story, I was really happy to see they put alot of thought into it, not only the main story but the job quest stories are amazing ( my favorite would be the Lancer/Dragoon storyline) At first its slow but around the time you hunt primals it picks up. Also if you wanna power level fast all you have to do is join a fate group which can normally level you 5-7 levels fairly fast

Back