agents of s.h.i.e.l.d

Jack's Smirking Revenge

i am the one who knocks
Veteran
Gil
what has everyone thought of it so far?

personally i find it hard to understand how such a poorly written show that falls so easily into the clichés of other shows of it's type is so good. i find very few of the characters likeable, and the core team is a big rip off of the avengers. they're trying to recreate the same dynamic of a group of totally different people that just can't work together, and it feels cheap to me. i really dislike fitz and simmons, i already want them to die. i can see the format of the show getting very old very fast.

despite all that though, i'm really enjoying it because it's just fun. it's a decent extension of the marvel universe, and for the most part a believable one. i usually really dislike procedural shows like that, with the odd exception, but i'll happily see this all the way through to the end. it does need a big change to make it more interesting however.

For me the show feels as if it is written by myself in terms of how I would of wrote it first draft. I speed it along making lots of action and humour and skip on development. I am enjoying the show, but its things like when someone does a cool fist fighting technique they make the cliche joke like "you guys moving or what" which really grinds me. However I really like the cameos so far especially samuel jackson :) It is only 2 episodes in and many more to go, who knows? it may go deeper into the narrative.

Oh man I tried to like it but the writing and acting is so bad. Three epsisodes out and I fell asleep during the second ep. First ep was ok. Something is off.

Some shows I like to recommend:

Arrow season 2 just started!
Sleepy Hollow
Alphas!

I actually like the english accent and irish or is it a scottish scientist, but these two scientists are freaking annoying. . .

the third episode was much better. more of a spy espionage show than a poor supernatural investigative one. i've been getting a strong fringe feel from it so far, but not quite as good. the first couple of seasons of fringe weren't great either though, so there's still hope yet

I was looking forward to this as it is a good idea to have a side-series on television for the Marvel joint movie universe. It would be good to see some concepts explored which would probably be too risky for a movie, or would not fill out or garner enough popular interest for a movie.

However, I admit I was very disappointed by the first episode. It just didn't seem to glue together, and the script didn't seem to be great. That said, the episodes have been gradually picking up in quality for me. I enjoyed the second episode a lot more than the first, and the latest third episode I enjoyed even more. If it continues to rise in quality then it could end up being a good series. It's certainly no longer a bad series, for me.

Hopefully the failures I found with the first episode were the result of a poorly executed introduction of the concept, characters, and the basic themes of the show. It didn't seem to work on the whole, sadly, but the following episodes are vastly improved, for me.

I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would; it's got Joss Whedon written all over it. The "Scooby Gang" made up of nobodies brought together by someone instantly recognizable, the sharp, witty yet often appalling "so bad it's good" dialogue, and the excellent pacing that means episodes don't drag halfway through, something a lot of TV shows (most BBC British dramas, in fact) these days do. It's not fantastic, but it's good enough to keep me entertained, and I appreciate that they're not taking the same route Smallville did in its later seasons and try to boost ratings by offering nothing but a fuckton of cameos nobody really cares about...which, considering how expansive the Marvel universe is, is something they could easily do and get away with. In fact, I really liked what they did with Graviton, and I'm hoping there will be a few more minor characters like that appearing every now and then, just as a reminder that this IS connected to the Marvel universe, and isn't just "Buffy meets spies and aliens" which, at times, it definitely feels like...not that that is a bad thing at times.

i disagree completely with everything there. i think the pacing is awful and it falls into the format of a very formulaic show at most times. it feels nothing like a joss whedon show at all; it has none of his usual sharpness or style and all of the characters have no depth or dimension. i'm still giving it it's fair chance, and i think it could come into its own in a second series, but there's a long way to go. it'll be interesting to see how it ties in with the four new marvel netflix shows that were recently announced, if at all.

Fitz and Simmons have gone from being the two most annoying characters in it to being the two most interesting. Series one had a decent climax after the second Cap film; it felt like they were waiting for that for a long time to be able to tell a story. Now that all of the S.H.I.E.L.D/Hydra stuff is out there it has definitely found its feet and seems to have a good dynamic and direction to where it is going. I get the feeling though that it will suffer a bit in the build up to Avengers 2 because there's a long way to go, and I don't know if the story has the legs to go the distance and be an interesting season.

Back