Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Yuno Mizuno
FFXIV Server
Lich
Free Company
Silver Lining
While we’re in the process of translating the scans (gotten via Final Fantasy Network), it would appear that this week’s Famitsu will contain a wealth of information about the upcoming Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, including the reappearance of both Caius Ballad and Paddra Nsu-Yeul! Lightning is shown fighting both Noel and Snow, as well as providing peaks at the slum section of Luxerion and several new garb. Vanille appears to be sporting a somewhat altered outfit with a veil.

LR-Keyart.jpg

Average play time for Lightning Returns is confirmed to clock around 20-30 hours – however, should players wish to see everything in the game without skipping a single event scene, then the final total should fall somewhere around 50. Upon finishing the game, a New Game+ option is unlocked where players can venture through the game once again with several difficulty options. Lightning’s costumes and skill sets along with abilities and level progress will carry over as well.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII comes out on November 21th in Japan with a North American release scheduled for February 11th and February 14th in Europe.

We’ll update this page with a full translation as it becomes available, but in the meantime here are the scans!

Update #1 (CONTAINS STORY SPOILERS):

I'll post this in spoiler tags just incase:

PAGE 104

After the fusion of Valhalla and the visible realm, Noel was stricken down with the overwhelming grief and regret of not being able to save anything he cared for. However, he pursued to find a way to save the dying world. Along his journey, Noel discovered a new Oracle Drive that promised a happy future – one that Noel wished to obtain in the previous game – if a certain “objective” was accomplished. Noel’s current motives are now fueled by this prophecy and he is wrapped in a paradoxical fate.

PAGE 105

In Luxerion, Noel strives to maintain order and peace. But he is ultimately feared by the citizens, earning him the title “Shadow Hunter”. His residence is located within a dark, criminally active part of the city. In his nearly empty room, where disturbing writings in blood can be seen on the walls, Noel shelters the new Oracle Drive. Noel no longer believes Lightning to be human.

PAGE 106

Because he is quick and uses a devastating combination of attacks, Lightning must be especially careful during her battles with Noel.As mentioned in many reports before, Luxerion is plagued with daily murders. During her investigations, Lightning comes across a suspicious group of white-cloaks known as the “Followers of the Goddess”. Unfortunately for her, this group does not appear to welcome the Savior.

A series of notes are left behind by what seems to be the mastermind of the murders. They strangely leave suggestions to the battles between Lightning and Noel.

PAGE 107

After losing Serah once again, Snow has plunged into the depths of despair. Snow is the only remaining l’Cie in the world, but he is running out of time. Along with the powers of Chaos, Snow is gradually gaining the reckless power of a Cie’th and he will not hesitate to use them against Lightning. During battle, blocking is absolutely essential to preserve health.

Unlike the Salvation Council, the Followers of the Goddess hold little power over the dying world. However, they make up for their small size by spreading out all over the continent. The Followers of the Goddess can be found in every location. The majority of survivors on Nova Chrysalia have shifted their faith to Bhunivelze. They wish to be saved in the new world he has prepared. However, some people continue to follow Etro, the Goddess of Death, and they wish to die like a “normal” human being.

PAGE 108

Caius and Yeul will be returning and both are strongly connected to the Chaos spreading throughout the world. The ruins of Etro’s Shrine and Academia are located in the Wildlands. As Lightning further explores the shrine she once guarded, she will come to learn of the mysteries hidden within its walls. The significance of Caius and Yeul to the world will also be revealed.

PAGE 109

Yeul is no longer bound to her sad cycle of early death and rebirth. She approaches Lightning with a request to “save” Caius.

Other Scans:

light2.jpeg

light3.jpeg

light4.jpeg

light5.jpeg

light6.jpeg

light7.jpg

light8.jpeg

light7.jpeg

Source: Nova Crystallis

Great to see Yeul and Caius back :cali:

It's obvious what the significance of Caius is - he's the only character worthy of note in this sorry affair. It's a shame that Yeul has to appear again as well, though...I couldn't really bring myself to care about her in XIII-2, and I can't really bring myself to care about her now. Could we PLEASE have some permanent death in this bloody series?

That said, the story is obviously a lost cause: the cast aren't going to suddenly develop personalities this late, and now that the world that they're in finally reflects the reality of the game - that is, a convoluted clusterfuck that draws "inspiration" from a bunch of other mostly superior titles - it's probably only going to get worse. Nobody cares, Square Enix.

Now, release an English Caius voice clip.

I'm actually starting to feel excited for this game. Although I can't say much about character development at this point in time, the plot is becoming more intriguing. o.o I'm especially happy that Noel is going to play an important role in this game and I'm curious to see why Noel does not believe Lightning to be human. o_O

Also, glad to see that at least Vanille is having a bit of a revamped design. I'm curious about the veil, since it seems sorceress-like, so I'm wondering what she will contribute to the story line (if at all).

I'm not too excited for Caius and Yeul's return, but I suppose it was necessary to include them in the final game of this trilology. >.>; Not sure why the writers are suddenly changing the plots again and creating more holes. How is it that Yeul can only die in XIII-2, but suddenly that's removed from the story in LR? It almost defeats the purpose. I sorta wish that Square-Enix could remain consistent with some aspects of the plot for once (since they already sabotaged Hope and now he's young again). Plus, Snow never really gave a damn about Serah in XIII-2, so suddenly her disappearance fuels his deep despair in LR? How convenient.

I now feel very meh about this game. I'm one of those strange fans (or not so strange I'm not sure) who hated XIII completely and absolutely loved XIII-2. So given that the only characters I give much of a toss about are Noel, Hope and Serah I'm beginning to suspect I won't like this game much. Especially if things don't work out in Noel's favour. I'm considering not getting this game until after the reviews are out. I may possibly spoil myself as well, just to see if it's worth the buy or not for me.

Last edited:
I now feel very meh about this game. I'm one of those strange fans (or not so strange I'm not sure) who hate XIII completely and absolutely loved XIII-2. So given that the only characters I give much of a toss about are Noel, Hope and Serah I'm beginning to suspect I won't like this game much. Especially if things don't work out in Noel's favour.

THIS SO MUCH

I THOUGH THAT I WAS ALONE WITH THESE FEELINGS
:alone:

Noel is most likely as good as dead since Noel is" Evil " now, Hope might be okay and Serah coming back or getting a appearance seems tiny. It seems like the only character that SE cares about is Lightning and it shows.

I'm considering not getting this game until after the reviews are out. I may possibly spoil myself as well, just to see if it's worth the buy or not for me.

Same, willing to at least try and give it a chance, like Final Fantasy XIII-2 ended up being neat and everything, But at the moment the answer is no.

I'm half and half about this game, I wish more of the characters got a re-design. Can't say I care much for Yeul's return she didn't leave any kind of impression on me in XIII-2. I think I may do what someone else said above and wait for the reviews for this one.

I'd like to say that after being on the 2K forums for so long, and seeing everybody bitch about the details in WWE 2K14, it made me realize that fan hate towards a video game series isn't limited to Final Fantasy. I mean, everything gets hate, but video games seem to get huge amounts of it for odd reasons. Then again, maybe I'm simply too easy to satisfy. #FirstWorldProblems . Anyway to the topic here, I must say it's really cool to see all of the characters from the games together like that. It makes it feel more like "the end." The final show, ya know? I also LOVE the new game+ option. That's gonna be hella dope. :ohoho:

I for one am looking forward to the third installment,There should be a decent amount of sidequesting to do in this one,or at least I hope so.I can understand why the XIII series has been getting alot of hate,though I really dont have to much to complain about overall except some of the gameplay in the first 13,but on the same token I play the game for myself to see just how it satisfies my own palette and so far I havent seen much reason to be overly critical about them,,just my 2 cents.

i feel theres a lot of ignorance or rather, a lot of fans taking it like wind. it comes and goes but no one really sticks around and analyses the entire game for what it is.

but i'm assuming these are the same people who enjoyed FFX-2 and still played FFX. to me, this game can be as immersive, and as expansive, and well balanced system, but if the story is crap and doesn't look like its going anywhere, there will be little to no motivation for this game. So far no specific villain has been revealed other than noel, snow, and possibly Caius. But doesn't look like its heading anywhere. Other than Snow becoming a ceith. which i am hoping, because i hate him.

I mean, does anyone even understand the basic premise of the game? despite revealing all these characters, it still brings more questions than answers, questions i know SE doesn't care about.

but worst of all, the gameplay seems like just a gimmick, so even though it will be fun, i just don't see the motivation to grab all these costumes other than say, a trophy on the ps3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back