Non Japanese Anime

The Master

Use my name
Veteran
Gil
What is your favorite non-Japanese anime series?

Since I'm not quite sure how to explain what makes an anime an anime, I will leave this link to a video of this guys top 11 American Animes.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/animenia/31992-top-11-american-anime

In my opinion though, I think that it has a lot to do with the Japanese Anime inspiration or likeness to an anime. Something that has a clear goal and/or story behind it. Like, more Samurai Jack and less Spongebob, more Xiaolin Showdown and less Fairly Odd Parents, or more Avatar: The Last Airbender and less Looney Tunes.

That's my opinion.

What's yours?

:hmm:

Good question... oh and don't Mention Xialin Showdown! :rage: Stupid cutting that off when it was still popular Cartoon network :hmph:

But A lot of these "western Animes" I almost never saw as anime's and just American Action cartoons"

But Xiolin Showdown is up there... Also I think Batman Beyond can kinda fit into this list too, since that did feel more anime/ish vs just an American Action Cartoon (like I saw most of the 90's cartoons.)

Guess those two really would be it, never was a fan of Avatar...

But I never saw most of the 90's cartoons that I watched as "American Anime's" or whatever. Batman the Animated series, Gargoyles, etc. etc. Never saw those as anything more than just... Action Animation... :hmm:

...this thread title makes no sense. Anime IS Japanese animation. You can have anime influenced animation, but that isn't anime. Not in the strictest sense of the word. Wrong thread title is wrong. But whatever.

In terms of Japanese-inspired Western animation, I really liked Oban Star Racers; it had a great plot with a surprising twist ending...although it was quite ugly in its presentation. This is the problem with 90% of Western cartoons inspired by anime...they're ugly as sin. Jackie Chan Adventures was another good one - at least for the first two seasons - although I'm not sure whether I'd count that or not. The 2012 TMNT reboot would almost certainly count, although that wore very thin after the Shredder was revealed to be an utrom (ahem, that was KRANG, thank you very much) and then there was that AWFUL Fast Forward season. The less said about that, the better.

W.I.T.C.H almost certainly counts. For a Western magical girl show, that was pretty damned amazing...although I think I prefer the comics. Or should I call them "manga" since we're mutilating terminology? Well, whatever. W.I.T.C.H. really needed a third season. So did the 2002 reboot of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. There have been many classic reboots over the years, but that one was by far the best, and it's a real shame they stopped it. I don't know if that was inspired by anime or not, but it was better than a lot of anime I've seen.

Wikipedia tells me that Mummies Alive! would count as well, in which case I need to mention it. That show, along with the original Thundercats (which apparently also counts?) made up a good percentage of my childhood. That it had a satisfying conclusion makes it fairly unique amongst the more "serious" Western cartoons, as well. A lot of them seem to take inspiration from Studio Ghibli movies and not have real endings. Like X-Men Evolution. That ended with a pitiful whimper, considering the last season was something like seven episodes and featured Apocalypse, of all things. Much as I enjoyed Evolution - not as much as the 90s X-Men, but more than the crappy Wolverine cartoon they brought out recently - I was not happy with that ending. Or the lack of Dark Phoenix.

Back