Hope Estheim

Gil
Am I the ONLY one who has a serious fangirling crush on Hope? He has a good storyline through out the two games, I like how he starts out weak, turns out strong, becomes a leader, and a kick ass guy all around. Especially after he really struggled in his life too, with the death of his mom. I can't imagine losing my mom at 14, especially the way he did. I think he is really an interesting character.

Hope was my least favorite character when I first played FFXIII. After several playthroughs and seeing his evolution in FFXIII-2, he's grown on me and gained my respect, and has become one of my favorite characters. I will be quite happy to have him directing the show when I take on the prophecy in LR:FFXIII.

0_0
Are you my long lost twin?
I have a serious fanboy crush on him too xD
He's just so timid and cute at first, then he becomes... well, badass! His character growth is really strong. And he's still cute. Did I mention he's cute? :3

Yeah Hope is one of those characters that took me awhile to warm up to (like Vanille) once I played through the game a second time I realized more why he acted the way he acted. He does have a character arc through the game and changes over time which is nice.

Hope was a better character than the entire cast. i honestly dont see what the problem.is with ppl and him. from the beginning he looked like a sheltered boy who had the worst turn of events. it was him who was the most realistic than lets say sahz who wanted to save his son. Or vanille ho despite the back story of her still doesnt act her age and doesnt even try. Hope had lost something real and he had every reason to mope and whine and even cry but he didnt do it as much as everyone claims he was really quiet in the beginning and that made me want to know what is oing on in his head more than Lightning, more than Snow, heck more than any other character in the entire ff13 series and i absolutely did not expect him to find peace in this game. but he did, and he managed.

In 13-2 he had a bigger role but not the role i was expecting. which was dosapointing, i was hpping he would be the main playable character. there was room for him to be playable and yet we got these monster capturing reminiscent of X-2

I really liked Hope too. People are always so rough on the younger characters when they act, well, their age. He was fourteen, of course he was gonna be a little snot from time to time. But he wanted to get strong, and so he went ahead and did that. Even in 13, he progressed well. It'd be nice to see people cut him some slack! :)

I am also a big fan of Hope - and not just for his looks! :kinky:

Honestly, he is one of the most developed characters out of the XIII crew and he sort of salvages the series' "shortcomings" for me. I kinda wished that his adult form would be in LR, but he still seems mature enough, so that's just a matter of appearance. I'm still early in the game, so I've only heard his voice. xD

I'm not too sure why people seem to dislike him. :hmmm:

i think part of the problem is that people wanted to see him in a more mature light. but everything that's happened, i can't really expect him to do that. The only thing i wish is after he found peace, we would see him have a bigger role in the story.

i'm going to say Hope Esteim is the most "realistic" character in the entire FF13 series. compared to everyone, and i mean EVERYONE in the 13 series, Hope manages to be the most authentic one. I never felt like he was just being weird, or just playing a role. his character was the one that felt genuine.

I really do wish hew as the main character, it would've been unique and interesting and something of what ff12's story would be.

I keep hearing that people dislike Hope because of his whining at the start (well...until about half way in maybe?). As if the death at the start isn't enough to make him a negative personality for a while :lew:.

He acts exactly how his character should considering the circumstances.

I keep hearing that people dislike Hope because of his whining at the start (well...until about half way in maybe?). As if the death at the start isn't enough to make him a negative personality for a while :lew:.

He acts exactly how his character should considering the circumstances.

No it's because his reaction to his mother's death is so obviously contrived. It's some of the worst writing I've ever seen. As soon as Hope irrationally blamed Snow for his mother's death you knew that it was all so they could reconcile a few chapters later. Besides that he does nothing. Along with Vanille he is the worst FF character ever.

No it's because his reaction to his mother's death is so obviously contrived. It's some of the worst writing I've ever seen. As soon as Hope irrationally blamed Snow for his mother's death you knew that it was all so they could reconcile a few chapters later. Besides that he does nothing. Along with Vanille he is the worst FF character ever.

the reaction to his mothers death could've been better, but every scene in FF13 could've had better writing. I still put Hope away from the rest of the cast....throughout the entire game, he acted the way i expected him to. although i do also believe him overcoming his mothers death and accepting his father was a little forced.

but i still find him to be a better character than Snow, Lightning, Sahz, Fang, and especially Vanille

I don't "get" Hope, nor do I find much to like about him.

I know an adolescent just witnessing strings of tragic and horrific things happening around him including the loss of his mother and the servitude he's been unceremoniously put under will probably behave and think in rather irrational ways to begin with, but he seems to exclusively hate Snow because he supposedly "tricked" people into fighting back and dying. As opposed to what? Not fighting back and dying anyway? Why not direct the rage at the people who were actually responsible for the massacre? Any person with sense would do that, instead of coming to this bizarre reasoning that the big bad Snow did this really mean thing - and that only a knife attack to his face would make the kid a man. Or something like that.

Every time the camera pans in on him trying to make his bloody mind up on what to do, I disengage interest. I can understand why he doesn't have the guts to, but it doesn't mean I enjoying sitting through the internal battle of a distressed kid trying to muster some way to approach Snow and finally get the point across to him...only to lose the chance after five minutes of hesitating. Thank goodness that subplot ended where it did.

Sazh is easily the best character among the circus, probably because he's the one that actually acts like a human being and has some decent lines to boot. And of course he's the character that SE decide to sideline for the sequels.

nah...i understand where Hope is coming from....he was the only one out of the entire grop that i can gravitate to.

SahZ feels like he's constantly the butt of the joke. you see the entire crew flying, and you see Sahz dangling as if there was so much air, it really looked unrealistically. also look at every pose he makes. i like him, but i dont like him the same way as hope. hope to me is the more realistic character, Sahz is the comedic one

I've always had a soft spot for Hope. You have to understand that he was forced to grow up fast due to the circumstances that occurred. He was still trying to cope when he joined together with Lightning. His character might have been annoying and a little whiny to some people but, I think we could all relate a little. Maybe because I was around his age, i guess. He becomes stronger and he gets better throughout the game. I am very found of Hope.

I like Hope, but I feel as a character he makes a lot more sense if you assume that after his mother's death he becomes a serial killer.

Never mind how the kid is throughout the course of FFXIII the game. In the sequel, he suddenly and inexplicably turns into this super amazing, wise, scientific genius in his early twenties or so, who has the ability to make devices that can send him on a one-way trip to the future, as well as build artificial Fal'Cies, and an entirely new Cocoon. I know people can suddenly blossom into these genii in fields we haven't previously expected them to excel in, but there was no indication in FFXIII that Hope would turn into this incomparable genius. And this arbitrary change is reversed in Lightning Returns because he's a kid again, so much for that.

Sense and a feeling of coherent development are not things I would bother trying to expound when it comes to any of the characters in this trilogy of make-up-shit-as-we-go.

who has the ability to make devices that can send him on a one-way trip to the future

To be fair, most people manage one-way trips to the future without any devices at all. I myself am in fact on such a trip right now. It's fairly slow going, not going to lie.

(But yes, jokes aside, I know what you mean.)

i think that's 13-2's fault, not Hope as a character. but then again, this is 13 we're talking about. in Lightning return he's even more dull.

I actually liked Hope's mother a lot more than Hope. Hope is a cute kid/man/kid but they really didn't need him in the storyline, he's the generic character for FFXIII. He also took his sweet time healing me during the Light/Hope duo. /scorn

Back