Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Yuno Mizuno
FFXIV Server
Lich
Free Company
Silver Lining
Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games– After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...online-requirements.aspx#.UcIZOBxj25g.twitter

Xbone promoted to a slightly better Xbox.... still a shitty name

I just read this. They must be so offended by Sony's words from E3. Sony literally damned them to hell during that presentation. This is very unsurprising! I think I may consider an Xbox one sometime now.

:lew: Not bad! No regional restrictions is really cool! :D I'm glad they decided to go through with this stuff. It makes it seem much more like a fucking game console, and not an entertainment machine. XD I know they only did this so that they had even the smallest chance of competing with Sony. :hmmm:

Yeah nonetheless great news for gamers. They were listening. Proud to be a gamer lol :D Its official.

' Xbox One - "Your feedback matters, but losing pre-orders matters 100x more" '

tumblr_inline_monuaikJ571qz4rgp.gif

finally

here i come halo! :jess:

Laughable

Various Microsoft executives and defenders have been trotting bull about this being the future while defending these policies tooth and nail, and now they do a U-turn on an unprecedented scale.

Good on them for doing the U-turn though. The other precedent this sets is that if consumers hurl rocks at the mega corporations enough, they'll cave in eventually. But they're still arrogant tossers who only scurried when the pressure grew too great.

DO PEOPLE realize that even though MS has gotten rid of all the negative things about their console, the games will still need you to connect online and have a constant connection to it.

Like Forza 5's "Drivatar" feature. Unless games automatically have dramatically changed in the last 24 hours, MS still hasn't tended the wound that they've given themselves.

DO PEOPLE realize that even though MS has gotten rid of all the negative things about their console, the games will still need you to connect online and have a constant connection to it.

That's the game developer's decision and a whole different ballgame. If people without a reliable internet connection want to play on an Xbox One, they can now--they just will miss out on a few games rather than on their $500 console. To borrow an FF example, don't buy FF XIV:ARR if you live out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm still not interested in an Xbox One, though. I've never been much of an Xbox guy, although I was into Halo in the early '00s. Never cared much for a 360, and never really anticipated its successor. And in my mind Microsoft has already stained their image. Like Fleur said, it's a good thing they backpedaled, but they shouldn't have so staunchly defended their position first. What got Microsoft to change was how PS4 and its games and accessories are dominating in the presales department right now, not that they suddenly care about gamers' opinions so much. Their console was getting counted out for the generation and they knew this would change that. That's all. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the Xbox leadership, especially after all the hubris they displayed at E3. Sony's still the only one that looks like it has its act together.

$28 in the PS4 fund and counting...

Nah, I dont have friends on Xbox anymore. I'm getting the PS family from here on out.

Before everyone jumps up down with joy.. You do realize to get rid of all that, it is going to be a patch to lock it all, right? So technically at anytime the can come up with a patch to unlock the stuff again. Also video games can still do online passes and region-locks. Thirdly Microsoft shouldn't of done any of this in the first place, so I wont support them for doing undoing the shit they shouldn't of done in the first place.

Laughable

Various Microsoft executives and defenders have been trotting bull about this being the future while defending these policies tooth and nail, and now they do a U-turn on an unprecedented scale.

Good on them for doing the U-turn though. The other precedent this sets is that if consumers hurl rocks at the mega corporations enough, they'll cave in eventually. But they're still arrogant tossers who only scurried when the pressure grew too great.

I agree. Microsoft have been defending this stupid BS to the end of time. It is damn funny to see them just eat Sony's words and copy them right off the bat. You said it would still sell with those negative ideas right? How do you feel about X1 sales now that microsoft made a turn for the better?

This is really odd/awkward. Everybody was all like... I AM GETTING PS4.... and then Microsoft feel sorry for themselves when they claim their console was ultra powerful.

Microsoft arrogant? Of course. Buy a 360 and miss next gen! Hahahahah they may as well have not said that at all.

I will see about buying one. Titanfall looked quite interesting unlike CoD. I still think Destiny will be the leader of FPS for me though.

PS4 has more interesting games atm.. and MS only have Halo and titanfall+ Killer instinct that was interesting.

Xbox one eighty.

Last edited:
Yay! No more restrictions. But they made no mention of the kinect, so im still ticked. But if online isnt necessary, than perfect. STILL the fact that you still need to be onljne at least once and believe most gamers will be playing by cloud siggest their still marketed toward a more high-class.

Glad to see them backpedal in regards to their policies as it's opened up competition again slightly. I'd hate to see Sony fall back on their old habits if they had a full blown advantage on the market, though E3 made me feel confident about a lot of the blood they have running the company now, like Adam Boyes.

Nonetheless, it's a long time until November and I'm sure their target consumers are going to forget about a lot of these earlier restrictions if Microsoft decides to push out the games. I'm not going to forget so easily, and I have no intention of purchasing the One unless an exclusive that has caught my attention comes to light. But to Microsoft, one sale isn't going to matter as much as it is the masses: it's going to be interesting to see if the Kinect and the $100 difference in price is going to have a drastic impact on their profits come holiday seasons. There's also those rumors about difficulties with production limiting what they'll be able to output come November.

Bit annoyed as last week they were so damn insistent about keeping everything as it was and 'it wasn't that easy' to turn all the restrictions off (and it still an 'online required' device to an extent, going to need a day one patch downloaded to remove everything that was damaging the console's reputation), but it's good for the market to bring in competition on marginally more equal footing, as stated above. Should be interesting to see where it goes from here.

(And you're not fooling anyone, Microsoft, you were terrified of those pre-order statistics.)

images

Seriously though, last week they were all for this still and next week they decide to "patch it up" and Xbox people are all jumping on it as if they were adding new features or something :hmmm:

People said they were doing what the Iphone did, then I looked at them and said "what did the Iphones take away from a phone? Did they make it so you could no longer use it as a phone? did they take away texting? No? Then how was this anything like Iphone!"

Really? That's enough to seal the deal for you?
no, i just said that for no reason. :pooley:

yes it's obviously enough for me. i was angry because of those two issues and now that those issues are gone, i am happy. unless... ofc, there's something else i do not know about the system that would make me angry but you DO know? :hmmm:

no, i just said that for no reason. :pooley:

yes it's obviously enough for me. i was angry because of those two issues and now that those issues are gone, i am happy. unless... ofc, there's something else i do not know about the system that would make me angry but you DO know? :hmmm:

The fact that it is only a patch and they can still add it anytime they want? Halo is all it takes??? damn Microsoft really wanted people to hope for Halo to save the damn day again... like Square wants FF Ver... sorry XV to save the damn day for them, since KHIII was "announced to early"...

Back