XBox Microsoft reverse on DRM/NO Used Games

Ahahahahaha

Even the backpedalling has pissed off a good percentage of the internet, commentators and Xbone supporters. There were some decent ideas like the Family Plan, and sharing digital copies of games to anyone in the family or friends on Xbox Live, but that's been scrapped now or on hold now.

It's almost as if *gasp* they couldn't be bothered to find a way to have both discs AND digital as options, and trying to benefit everyone by keeping the advantages without the DRM that caused people to start taking a dump on the Xbone's pre-order numbers. Poor Microsoft. They've managed to offend or let down nearly everyone in a month.

And now you have people whining about this 180 being harmful to the industry because it means companies would have received a fair share of their money that they would otherwise not have gained thanks to the used games market, and MAYBE, MAYBE, games would be cheaper. Y'know, despite absolutely no real evidence to suggest that they will ever get cheaper. Do you think Microsoft and EA would happily envisage something like Steam when it comes to Valve's sales?

And at the moment, I still can't think of any Xbone exclusive that would make me seriously consider getting the console. I do like mechs, but TitanFall is being overhyped, despite looking suspiciously like a larger-scale online CoD with giant robots and less Russians or Arabs being shot at. I think.

In all honesty, I'm with the Bunny full of Bugs on this one. Microsoft 100% knew that all the crap they pulled in the first place would be badly accepted. There's no way a huge company like that couldn't have known. Because of this, we know that MS did it all intentionally. There are two reasons that I can think of that they would do all this:

1) Good PR for when they do this big 180. People will love them for listening to their fanbase etc.
2) Initial hopeful money-grabbing in any cheap, dirty way they could think of...until they realised that it just wasn't going to work out.

Either way, they should in no way be let off for the crap that they've pulled.

*Posted by someone who is in no way an MS hater, but this is just bad company ethics in every way, shape and form.*

Ahahahahaha

Even the backpedalling has pissed off a good percentage of the internet, commentators and Xbone supporters. There were some decent ideas like the Family Plan, and sharing digital copies of games to anyone in the family or friends on Xbox Live, but that's been scrapped now or on hold now.

The family plan turned out to be a 60 minute demo of any game you bought which you could share with 10 people. Once the 60 mins was up they would be taken to the store to buy it... so it really wasn't that good haha... they avoided explaining it properly until they removed the feature!

The family plan turned out to be a 60 minute demo of any game you bought which you could share with 10 people. Once the 60 mins was up they would be taken to the store to buy it... so it really wasn't that good haha... they avoided explaining it properly until they removed the feature!

Way to go, Microsoft. No wonder you wanted to be as tight-lipped as you could. But I'll be fair, it's not a bad system per se, but 1) we're not ready for a "digital future", and 2) I don't trust THEM to handle it.

Eh, I'll blame my own naivety for thinking for a microsecond that 10 people can play a full game that only one person spent money on, when this is the company that wanted to throw molotovs at used games with a DRM system. And the fact that it's Micro$oft. I'm quite happy with the status quo, even if it's nowhere near perfect.

How adorable of Microsoft :ari:

They listen to people whine, bitch, and complain over how their every move on their future next gen console is going to cost them money, and lots of it. They realize people are on to their need to constantly snoop on what they are doing online and to top it off, they are the laughing stock of E3 because people now know their games weren't even being played on Xbox One hardware :ohoho:

So they deduce A + B will not = much C(ash money) for them when they release this blessing to mankind in the form of entertainment.

...and people think they are genuinely looking out for them when they say they've been listening to customer concerns and complaints. They did. But, not for YOUR benefit. Now you are going to reward them with your loyalty because of that warm little feeling like they actually care :cali:

Ahahahahaha

And at the moment, I still can't think of any Xbone exclusive that would make me seriously consider getting the console. I do like mechs, but TitanFall is being overhyped, despite looking suspiciously like a larger-scale online CoD with giant robots and less Russians or Arabs being shot at. I think.

Oh boy. You have to tell me where you ever saw Science Fiction in CoD. Overhyped? Do I have to remind you it is a game by Respawn? What is not being overhyped these days? Titanfall has much more depth than CoD. Titanfall actually looks interesting with the ability to engage in combat in mechs, or as pilots.

Titanfall will not be Xbox one exclusive forever. Do you know why I am interested in Titanfall? It is not just pew pew pew like CoD. Titanfall has variety in gameplay. You can throw humans as mechs, there are sci fi weapons, and it is not aiming for realism at all. The ability to engage in combat as a pilot or mech is not like CoD at all.

It has some futuristic halo elements in it. We need a break of generic war games. Respawn are smart and are making it a sci fi game with variety in gameplay.

So no. It is not "a larger CoD"

That is like saying Destiny is a larger Halo with CoD elements. I will truly laugh if people think that way.

How adorable of Microsoft :ari:

They listen to people whine, bitch, and complain over how their every move on their future next gen console is going to cost them money, and lots of it. They realize people are on to their need to constantly snoop on what they are doing online and to top it off, they are the laughing stock of E3 because people now know their games weren't even being played on Xbox One hardware :ohoho:

So they deduce A + B will not = much C(ash money) for them when they release this blessing to mankind in the form of entertainment.

...and people think they are genuinely looking out for them when they say they've been listening to customer concerns and complaints. They did. But, not for YOUR benefit. Now you are going to reward them with your loyalty because of that warm little feeling like they actually care :cali:
I agree with this.

However, I don't think a reversal on policies will affect Microsoft as much as people may believe. The casual individual or younger audience may never become aware of the old policies to begin with, and by casual I mean those who don't particularly follow gaming news online, or those who don't game at all such as parents who are buying their child an Xbox One for their Christmas present, or a "casual gamer" per se. As for the younger audience, I find it unlikely they would have realised the full extent of the consequences of DRM to begin with and I imagine such an audience is a large percentage of the market too. As for the rest of the market, most people knew the console they were going to go with anyway, it just so happened that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot at a hugely publicised event which will have affected those on the fence. I know a lot of people saw the Amazon voting, but I personally believe it should be taken with a grain of salt. The price of the Playstation 4 being significantly cheaper will have been just as much of a deciding factor as any individual policy, although I would presume the voting would have slightly balanced itself out to an extent if the policies weren't announced, although not by much. Regardless, it is only June, it is likely most people will have forgotten about the old policies come Christmas anyway. If I were going to buy an Xbox One, which I'm not, my worry or even concern now would not be of the original intentions of Microsoft, but the position of their new policies. It's very easy to say "Look guys, we've listened and done a 180" but these policies will have been worked on for years with the full presumption they would be introduced, I highly doubt they suddenly have replacement policies that have been fully considered and that can't be used to their advantage in the future.

Nevertheless, I do see the reversal as a good thing. One console dominating the market isn't a good thing, there needs to be a degree of balance even if one console does edge another. If Sony had dominated the last generation I really don't think anywhere near as much attention would have been paid to the Playstation Network and although it may be a controversial opinion, I think the hacking of the network proved to be a blessing for Sony and its consumers. Sony have clearly taken into consideration the success of Xbox Live because of a balanced market, and what people do forget among Microsoft's disastrous E3 is that Sony weren't much better with the launch of the Playstation 3, which was equally just a great of a disaster with a huge launch price and an underdeveloped network compared to Xbox Live. I want Sony to edge the next generation because I'm very much a Sony fan, but I also hope that Microsoft succeed so that in the future it'll remain a competitive market and they bounce off one another.

The fact that it is only a patch and they can still add it anytime they want? Halo is all it takes??? damn Microsoft really wanted people to hope for Halo to save the damn day again... like Square wants FF Ver... sorry XV to save the damn day for them, since KHIII was "announced to early"...
i like xbox community better. every time i played CoD on ps3 i was bunched into either a group of kids or of guys and girls playing the game of "omg no you!"

xbox (unless on halo) seems a little less annoying. plus ps3 servers fucking suck. :lew:

i don't really care though, because i'm 99.999999999999999999999999999999% sure that my broke ass won't be able to afford either of these systems for quite a few years.

Back