Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Yuno Mizuno
FFXIV Server
Lich
Free Company
Silver Lining
It has emerged that Microsoft used Hewlett Packard made PCs equipped with Nvidia GTX 700 series graphics cards to demonstrate Xbox One titles at E3 last week. In one case an E3 attendee played an Xbox One demo which crashed to the Windows 7 desktop. Furthermore, behind the scenes photos revealed someone maintaining these hidden PCs, with a side panel exposing various components. Meanwhile at the E3 show, many Sony PlayStation 4 games were definitely running on PS4 “dev hardware” - the same as the final shipping console but in a utilitarian box.

While using gaming PCs to show off console games at exhibitions is thought to be quite common, Microsoft previously said they were running games “on comparable dev kit specs to the actual home consoles”, reports Gaming Blend.

Whether an HP gaming PC running Windows 7 and packing an Nvidia GTX 700 series GPU is comparable to the Xbox One console is debatable. However this use of PCs suggests the Xbox One hardware/software isn’t nearly as ready as the Sony PS4. Perhaps if Microsoft used Xbox One dev kits to show off the upcoming games it may not have been a good representation of the final gameplay experience.

Further fun is poked at Microsoft in the Gaming Blend article as these PCs running Xbox One demos weren’t even using the Windows 8 OS, which is supposed to be partly what the Xbox One’s OS is based upon.

Source: http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/56841-microsofts-e3-xbox-one-demos-ran-nvidia-powered-pcs/

Demoson PC are common, but the fact that they were using Nvidia cards when the systems run on AMD cards.... :ffs:

Just when you think it can't get worse for Xbox One, something else comes to light. Oh man, this console is such a shambles. This shouldn't even be called a war.

I just find it hilarious that even Microsoft won't use Windows 8...

Still, I reckon they'll turn it around and nab a significant share of the "Casual gamer" market, whatever fuck ups they make.

Xbox One was the #1 best-selling item on Amazon's video game list for a long time. PS4 is on top now, but Xbox One is at a close 2nd. See for yourself. But Playstation 4 launch title bundles make up positions 4, 5, 6, and 8. In 3rd place is "The Last of Us", in 7th is a PSN gift card, and in 9th is a Dualshock 4 controller. So the One's rank is respectable, but it's clear Sony is getting a lot of love from Amazon customers.

I can hardly shake my head enough at Microsoft's flubs with the One and running game demos on Windows 7 PC's is just like a cherry on the cake, but we have to keep in mind that the majority of Xbox customers probably don't watch E3 every year, probably don't scour the web for every last bit of information on it, and probably don't get the big deal with security checks and always-on Kinect. PS4 will almost surely outsell it globally and domestically, but it's not like Microsoft is going to be looking at an "Xbox Population: One" scenario.

The hubris of Microsoft lately has been startling.

- In the Xbone reveal, the OS and interface was in face one giant bullshot, and spectacularly faked despite their assurances that it was the real deal.

- Don Mattrick saying that if customers want a machine without an internet connection, they have a product for that. It's called the fucking Xbox 360, you bunch of uncouth peasants.

- Don Mattrick also saying that they are "over-delivering" on value for the Xbone. That $499 is nothing compared to the "thousands of dollars of value to people", and people should be grateful that it is at $499.

- DRM, DRM, DRM. And the fact that everyone cheered at the Sony conference when they said they won't be locking down on used games or imposing mandatory internet-required online verifications, when in reality, no one should have bothered with it.

- if my internet goes out, and it's been 24 hours, I can still watch TV and watch Blu-Ray. Oh yay, thanks, because that would be exactly what I primarily purchased an Xbone for!

- only 21 countries will get an Xbone at the moment, with South Africa, Poland, China and Japan not included.

- trying to cancel or avoid as many face-to-face interviews with the press as they could.

- Xbox executive Phil Spencer handwaving the backlash away by saying that this "isn't a sprint" and that when the product hits shelves, everyone will end up buying one, because when Sony said it was not a sprint, but a "marathon" back when the PS3 was shown, that turned out soooo well, didn't it?

- Microsoft confirming that they don't care what other companies are doing. It's that classic attitude of "blah blah blah, we're doing our own thing, and people will still buy our thing and make us a big success because we've got the brand name tattooed onto their arses".

- and now this.

There's going to be more. I wasn't planning on listing all of them. But yeah, they have really managed to surpass Sony's 2006 hubris here. At least Sony could justify their arrogance as the PS2 dominance worldwide. Microsoft can clearly turn round and say the 360 is the market leader, and that would be true yes, but only in North America and Engerland. But you know, America = the world for many people. It's an easy mistake.

The Xbone is a corporate trojan horse. You let it into the house, and you're essentially letting a monopolistic corporation have its way with you. That retail box and disc you have? Yeah, the useless plastic shit is yours if you want to piss on it or whatever, but the game itself? Oh no, no, no, no, no. You have only rented it from us for an indefinite length of time. If you manage to get yourself banned on Xbox Live, we are revoking your right to play any of "your" games that you shelled out $60 each for.

steve-ballmer.jpg

They have also demanded that all indie games have to have a publisher now, so the new Abe's Oddysee won't be coming to Xbone. Even though Lorne Lanning and Oddworld did them a huge favour by releasing Stranger's Wrath as an exclusive for the original Xbox's launch. However because Oddworld do everything in house including publishing Xbone has refused them.

If you get banned from Xbox live you not only lose access to play online but they prevent you from playing any games you purchased too (online and offline). This makes your $500 game console 100% useless. So be on your best behaviour kiddies!

edit: just saw Olivia already said this! Still... Maddness!!!

That retail box and disc you have? Yeah, the useless plastic shit is yours if you want to piss on it or whatever, but the game itself? Oh no, no, no, no, no. You have only rented it from us for an indefinite length of time. If you manage to get yourself banned on Xbox Live, we are revoking your right to play any of "your" games that you shelled out $60 each for.

steve-ballmer.jpg

many people seem to have this same misconception. i'm not saying i condone what microsoft are doing (i don't). this is how copyright and intellectual property has always worked. if you buy a cd the music still does not belong to you. it is still the intellectual property of the person or entity that owns the intellectual property rights and copyrights to it. here's a clue: that's not you. the same goes for games, books, paintings etc etc etc. it has literally always been this way. that's why the television and film industry had such an issue with VHS and why the music industry had such an issue with cassette tapes and now with torrents and what not and why the games industry has such an issue with the used market. the only difference now is that microsoft will have the ability to revoke your right to utilise the intellectual property that you already didn't own.

microsoft are stupid, but they can afford to be stupid. they are trying to hold onto a system that perpetuates greed in the same way that the majority of the music industry is doing. i have a feeling they'll get away with it for a while.

Back