Roleplay Battle Tournament Rules

Noblesse Oblige

The Dawn of a New Chronicle
Veteran
Gil
RPB Tournament Rules and Guidelines:

• [*=1]
    No Godmodding: God Moddingis the term used when the RPer controls a non-NPC character that is not considered to be under their control, or assuming the reactions and/or suggesting the thoughts of an opposing non-NPC character, whether or not said character has responded to your input.
In this tournament, this rule will be STRICTLY enforced with no exceptions, as we will be judging your RP’ing skills, and your total score will be deducted for each abuse of this rule.

• [*=1]
    No Powerplaying: Powerplaying is the term used for creating characters that are excessively powerful or has skills and/or abilities that would somehow give a character an unfair advantage.
In this tournament, this rule will be STRICTLY enforced with no exceptions, as we will be judging your RP’ing skills, and your total score will be deducted for each abuse of this rule.

• [*=1]
    Accept Victory or Defeat Gracefully: We’re out here to have fun most importantly, and no one likes an arrogant, prideful S.O.B., nor does anyone like a sore loser. The scores will be out of 20 (with a separate one for deducting points for Godmodding/Powerplaying which will go up to -100). Victory is not determined by killing your opponent, but by how the judges score on your performance whether you win or lose in battle.

• [*=1]
    Character Allowances: Characters that were created for RPB’s will be allowed, and characters can be made for the purpose of this Tournament and this Tournament only, but please ensure that the bios are accepted by either Noblesse Oblige/Kevin or Exokeleton/Oliver.

Prizes:

To Be Determined

Judging Guidelines:
All players will be judged on the following:

• [*=left]Originality: (out of 20)

• [*=left]Creativity: (out of 20)

• [*=left]Interaction with the Environment: (out of 20)

• [*=left]Spelling/Grammar/Readability (The better your ability to write your moves, the higher the score): (out of 20)

• [*=left]Yieldability (the ability to take hits when there are few options, the less B.S. ways to escape damage, the higher the score): (Out of 20)

• [*=left]Powerplaying/Godmodding: (Out of -100 [Minus 100])

Judges:

Exoskeleton and Noblesse Oblige will serve as judges for the Tournament. Should any of us decide to compete, the other will judge the match for them.

Battle Assignments:

The opponents will be seeded at random, and the tournament will be a single-elimination tournament

Start Date:
All Bios are to be submitted to the directed thread by 11:59:59 PM Central Standard Time on Wednesday, June 26, 2013. Brackets will be dictated on Thursday, June 27. The Tournament itself will begin on Friday, June 28.

Bio Template:
Name: Your Character’s Name (Middle Names are Optional)

Title: Your character’s title. This is completely optional.

Alignment : Your character’s moral alignment. (Good, Neutral or Evil) (Your character’s ethical alignment (Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic) is optional.)

Race – Your character’s race. Briefly describe the physical appearance of the race, and the effect that your race has on his/her abilities. If your character is of more than one race, describe how it affects your character’s abilities

Age:Your character's age. Give a general estimate on the age of your character, in Earth Years. If not in Earth years, give us an estimate of how many Earth years are in one of your character’s years.

Appearance: Your character's physical appearance and attire. Describe what your character looks like (please keep outright sexual content to a minimum). Examples include:Muscular structure, any defining features on his/her skin/outer layer, the shape of the body,details on the hair color, shape of the hair, eye color, ear shape, facial shape, and number of fingers on your character (if not human).

For Attire, Give us everything from tightness to color to patterns to embroidery, etc. This includes hats, shoes, leg-wear, body-clothing, socks, armor and the like.

Leave nothing out, and be as imaginative and descriptive as possible. If your character has a transformation, do not describe it here, and place it in a transformation section. This section should be at a minimum of 2 paragraphs long (2-4 sentence paragraphs or an average of 8 sentences minimum)

If you wish to place an image, this is very much welcome. Note that even though you have a picture you should still use a text description.

Personality:Your character's Personality and how you would feel if you met your character.Examples include: how your character acts, how they treat others, what they say and how theyreact. Once again, be very imaginative, and leave as little as possible out.

For first impressions, It is not suggested that you write “I would feel.” Say things like, “If he were asked…he would react by…” and things like that, but try and keep the outright situational references to a minimum. Be aware that people tend to make a mental impression based on any person's appearance. So if your character dresses like a bum, one might assume as much. This section should be at a minimum of a paragraph long (4 sentences minimum.)

Strength: Your character's Physical Strength.Describe to us his/her brute strength. Examples include: how much he/she can lift, how much damage they can do to a brick wall, for example, in a single punch. This section should be at a minimum of a Semi-paragraph long. (2 sentences) Remember to keep this within the God-Modding rules of the forum.

Vitality:Your character's physical and magical defensive properties. State how much damage you would take from an attack (it is HIGHLY suggested that you DO NOT use numerical values for this), both from a typical physical strike and from a typical medium-level magical strike. If your character has any special augmentations that increase either defensive property, you should mention them here. If it is an ability, further detail can go into the Abilities tag. This section should be at a minimum of a semi-paragraph long (2 sentences minimum.)

Speed:Your character's speed and reflexes. State how quickly you can run at top speed, how quickly you can sidestep, how fast your attacks are. Also state how quickly your character can react, such as how long it will take for them to realize they’re being attacked, if they can react to an arrow, and so forth. This section should be at a minimum of a paragraph long (4 sentences minimum).Once again, keep this within the God-Modding rules of the forum.

Stamina:Your character's stamina. This is determined by an examples such as how long they can fight for, how long they can run, et. al. before they have to rest and recover. This section should be at a minimum of a semi-paragraph long (2 sentences minimum). Keep this within God-Modding rules of the forum as well as logical limits.

Fighting Style:How your character fights. Give details on their methods, such as if they resort to cowardly tactics, if they fight with honor, etc. Also, state the actual style of fighting, such as a specific martial arts style or street fighting, etc. and make sure to describe what the essential tactics for each of those styles are. This section should be at a minimum of a semi-paragraph long (2 sentences minimum)

Weapons: Your character's weapon(s) of choice.Describe the weapon(s) that your character carries. If it is a specific relic or ancient weapon, describe its history. Also, state any effects these weapons will have on your magic or abilities, as well as any inherent properties that are embedded in the weapon. Make sure to describe each detail specifically, with as much imagination as you can put into it. Remember, your weapon should not be indestructible, as that takes away from the preciousness of it to your character, and its importance. Originality is greatly encouraged here. Each weapon should be described separately and must be at a minimum of a semi-paragraph long (2 sentences minimum). If your character does not use weapons, state it here.

Abilities:Your character's physical and natural abilities. Note that this is NOT magic as that has its own section. State any specific physical abilities your character has. For each ability, you must describe the general appearance, it's theoretical effects, and the duration of any long-standing skills. These skills can range from the use of artifacts, such as pendants, to a shout or power up that gives you more strength. If your character uses Chi,Ki, or any other form of bodily/mental/external energy to fuel their attacks, you must state it here, as energy is not technically magic. Abilities attached to weapons or weaponized items should be listed along the description of the weapon itself. Each ability must be at least a sentence long minimum.

If you are using energy, you should state how much of your energy each energy attack will cost you, in terms of fractions.

Magic: Your character's magical abilities. In here, you state the type or element (Fire, Earth, Air, Wind, Water, Lightning, Aether, Arcane, Necromancy, etc.) of your magic, and for each type, state the appearance and theoretical effects of this magic. If, for example, you sport Necromancy and decide to raise corpses, describe how long the skill takes before it is complete, how much energy it takes, what the undead will look like, what abilities/strength they have, etc. This applies to all magics, and each should be described in the most precise detail you can manage. Each magic spell must be at least a sentence long. If it is a set of abilities tied to an element, then it must be at least a semi-paragraph long minimum (2 sentences minimum)

For ideas on elements, use this link here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalPowers

Other Skills: Your character's other abilities. This also applies to any Transformations or physically-altering skills you may have. Perhaps your character can cook, or is a painter. Describe each skill in detail, in terms of appearance, effects, and energy cost. All of this is entirely optional.

History:Your character's history, and should be one of the single largest parts of your bio. Don’t make it so that it’s a journal of your life, but don’t make it too brief either. Make sure to outline the highlights of your character, such as major events he encountered in travels, when she found her weapon, why they have their title (if they have one), etc. Because of the specifics in size, your history should be anywhere from 3-6 paragraphs (a total of 12-24 sentences)

Accepted Bios:
-LJ/Soulcorruptor: Vex
-The Welsh Paddy: Degra
-Kyreaan: Reiko & Coco
-Izanagi: Ralph Faiz

Last edited:
Will each round play out for the entire duration of a battle, or will there be a set amount of posts per person for each round? I would prefer the latter, as it will keep things going at a good pace, but I'm game either way. :monster:

I may create a whole new character for this, but then there's a few of my older characters that I might just bring into this. :hmmm:

If by round you mean how many post before another person, then it should be back and forth. One post by one person, one post by another and so on until either the time out or until a person dies.

Oh, no. For example, a cap would be set in place of say... ten posts per battle. Participants would take turns making posts as per usual until that ten post mark has been hit, thus each person making a total of five posts each. Said posts would then be judged on originality, creativity, writing quality, etc. and then a winner picked out. It tackles the problem of tournament matches dragging out over long periods of time, but then... sticking to a schedule and setting deadlines works just as fine. :monster:

Also... Will the battle arenas be picked out by the judges? Or is that something we need to agree on with our opponents before hand?

Ah, well in that case the battles will be capped at either one week from the start date, as for a post cap, I'll have to discuss that with Oliver.

I think it would be best for us to pick out the battlegrounds of choice, give a neutral field for players to play evenly.

I think it would be best to follow the rules of the last tournament, which was fun. Details pertaining to post caps, etc. will be given out later. for now all you need is a character and a strong bio. We'll approve bios in a bio thread or you can use an already approved bio in The Heroes section. ^_^

Last edited:
If I may, I wish to promote Destrillians and to spark a good test of my tournament skills here. May I add my CEO of Faiz Industries to the match?

If I may, I wish to promote Destrillians and to spark a good test of my tournament skills here. May I add my CEO of Faiz Industries to the match?

There shall be no promoting here. :ahmed:

And yes you can add him/her as long as you create the bio and post it in the entry thread that Noblesse Oblige will set up shortly. :grin:

I mean not in a way that there will be BANNERS and fanfare! just his presence! :D

He will be participating the tournament obviously! the issue is he has no magic, he's purely science fiction.

Speaking of which, the template is up, it's in a Drop Down Spoiler section. Good luck to all those participating.

Thanks kev and oli! You both wont mind if a sci-fi character goes up against magic folk right? o:

Go crazy. :P

Seriously, it doesn't matter what genre the character is from. If he can fight, then he is in.

It would make for an interesting clash, that's for sure. :monster: I'm still debating on whether or not I shall write a new character for this, but as a matter of curiosity... Should I decide to enter my Weretiger, Degra, would she be approved? :hmmm: She will be my fall back should I decide to not make a new character or update one of my much older ones.

Hmm sounds interesting, I'll make a new character for this XD I always wanted to try a RP Battle Tournament.
Noblesse Oblige Quick Question if I'm gonna make a new character where would I post it o.o here ?

Last edited:
I think it would be best for us to pick out the battlegrounds of choice, give a neutral field for players to play evenly.

You can do it that way. The way I did it in the past was to have each character create their own preferred setting in their bios, then randomly seed each character number 1 thru number whatever, and the higher seed "hosts" the match in their described setting. But both ways work just fine.

If you are going to participate, either you can use a pre-made character already accepted (stated here), or you may post it on separate threads on this section here. The reason I ask fro you to do so here is because it would be easier to transfer the threads to the Approved Characters/The Heroes section when this is all said and done.

Back