Addictions

Stay strong, bro. You need some good people around you to help you keep going. Addictions are almost impossible to fight by oneself.

I'm addicted to gaming, it always slips into my life somehow. Luckily, it's not a destructive addiction, just a bit costly ^_^;

Unfortunate and fortunate for me it runs in the family with my older brother, he was also addicted like me but quit at 25 (started about the same age) so he had more years under his belt and the pain was worse. He helped me through a lot of the beginning stages of withdrawal which sucked sooooo much... puking endlessly, bone pain, emotional distress beyond belief I mean my lord it was hell. I've done been away from the hard drugs for a while and weened myself off with weed slowly till the symptoms and me eating was back to at least functional. I quit the hard stuff about 4 months ago so thank god its barely intense now I still get a lot of sweats but that's nothing, and just quit weed 3 weeks ago. Like I said I've never felt better I'm just lucky I had family around or I might be in prison or on a corner dead.

Gaming is an okay addiction just don't let it rule you to the point were you have a poopsock (look it up and you'll know what bad addiction leads to even for gaming). lol

I used to be addicted to gaming, I'd say I still am however I can't play as often as I used to. Probably the healthiest addiction I've had, using fictional characters as role models helped me be popular in school and made me focus on getting a good and fit body (which easily made going through school enjoyable, socially at least). I've sort of lost my body from my other, newer addictions...

I started smoking when I was 20, which is obviously not a good habit. However, I've made relationships and friendships with people over cigarettes. I've strengthened (and damaged) existing connections over a quick smoke. It's a good way to calm myself down when I'm going through negative feelings. It is expensive though, so I've started to slowly kick this habit. I usually try to have an emergency pack of smokes in my freezer just in case. When I'm drinking, I don't crave cigarettes as bad as most people, but it's still a trigger. Which brings me to my most harmful addiction...

I didn't really start drinking until I was 19. Up until then it was strictly for parties that I'd go to maybe four times a year. Now I drink frequently. I'll buy alcohol before I buy groceries. I don't like drinking as much as I do, but it's how I deal with my problems. I'm more of a quiet person now (unless I'm at work) and my girlfriend (who lives with me) is a socialite. She loves going out or sticking around after work for drinks, usually four times a week on average. 90% of her friends are males who have either tried to get with her or have already, which I'm not cool with. So I usually just stay at home and drink by myself until she gets home and then we fight. I'll apologize in the morning, and it continues to happen. To make this story not as long, she makes me feel unwanted most of the time and I drink to feel ok about it. For those wondering why I don't leave her, it's because on the rare days that we do spend happily together she makes me feel like the star in her sky, and (for now at least) I'm willing to suffer the rainy days until I get a sunny one.

I'm trying to make myself a happier person, and I was happiest when I was younger - when I enjoyed the other worlds I could adventure in with video games. I came back to this site to help me with that. Since I moved a fair distance away from my friends, and my girlfriend puts me on the back burner constantly I decided to come back here and be among people who share similar interests as mine.

I don't expect anyone to read this whole post, I just saw it and decided to get it off of my chest. It's better to talk about problems then let them build inside.

tl;dr: video games, smoking and drinking.

Without a doubt I'd have to say that I'm addicted to coffee. I love the taste of it, hearing it brew, smelling it, I cant go a day without it. I try all kinds of it as well and dont limit myself just to 1 specific kind.
Keurig makers are the way to go. Absolutely amazing stuff.

Anyone have any? I know we have a few smokers here (myself included)
Anyone else have any? Ever caused you problems to the point where it affects your daily life?

I smoke as well. Hell of an addiction. If I go more then four hours without a cigarette, I turn into the Hulk and barrel down the street scaring all the kids.

I'm also addicted to caffeine. This is evident by waking up in the morning out of coffee, and do what I do when I go without a cigarette :wacky:

Back in my early 20's I had a serious pill addiction that was a bitch to come off of. It is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to come off of and to this day it's still a battle when times get rough but the past few years I have done great. Gaming is one thing that helped with this because I would get lost in a video game and forget the craving I had.

Soda I guess. Can't really think of a lot from the top of my head.

I definitely think I'm addicted to Irn-Bru. I drink it like/in place of water and only found out about 3 years ago it's full of caffeine. I tried weaning myself off of it and felt shaky, tired, I had headaches and felt sick, and, genuinely, all I could think about was a bottle of orange liquid. :wacky: I occasionally try drinking less, it lasts for a few days and I go "fuck it" and buy another 2L bottle.

I need help.

Caffeine :mokken:

I'll get real bad withdraws if i don't drink my coffee or soda :gonk:

but it's so bad for me and I can't help but want it more :sad3:

I know my lifestyle isn't the best, but I'm trying to slowly cut out unnecessary sugars :wtf:

I used to smoke but over the past year I've been on/off quitting. Right now, for the most part, I'm pretty much smoke free and have been for a couple of months now. The only times I smoke is if (big IF, as I don't go drinking often anymore) I go out drinking at the weekends. I also have a e-cigar (fuck ya'll and yer pussy e-cigs. If I'm going to do it, I'm doing it in style) for the times I really REALLY feel the need to. However this really isn't very often at all.

My want for coffee and sex has greatly increased though. Damnit :wacky:

Caffeine, smoking and drinking. Pot when I was younger, but luckily I managed to kick that one. I think many people forget that addictions aren't always about the actual substance and it's effects at all. Sometimes, it's about pain relief, mental or physical, and sometimes it's simple self medicating when one has an undiagnosed mental illness. Other times it can ever be about self abuse. Many times, will power has nothing to do with it at all. I've watched people with amazing will power in other areas of their lives fall prey to substance abuse and die because of it. Don't be so quick to judge others and say they are just lazy or self indulgent. You probably have no idea what they have been through, or are going through just to get out of bed in the mornings. Not everyone leads a good or happy life, or has any support to help them recover. Be proud that you have no addictions and thankful... but don't look down your noses at those who do.

I am a former alcoholic, I've been without a drop since 2008. However, I don't look down at anyone for what they do. Weather it be food, sex, drug, etc. addiction. I am in agreement with the above post as far as not judging people and not knowing what one has been through.

Anyway, I'm trying to quit smoking cigs. Those are my addiction. I've been smoking on and off since I was 16. I'm 29 now. I'm sure a lot of damage has been done already, but never too late to quit. If anyone has any tips they were successful on, PM me. :)

Recently, I took smoking back up. Mostly from the lack of really having anything productive to do since I'm on layoff from my job until the end of this month. I'm hoping to quit once I start working again as it'll help take my mind off of it, seeing as the cravings hit me most when I feel like I've nothing to do. Here's to the next week or so.

For me it's coke... everytime I say that people look shocked, I'm talking about the drink people.

But seriously it's kinda bad, I barely even enjoy drinking it, I just get really... uncomfortable and needy if I don't have some every day. It's a nasty addiction that I'm trying to overcome.

The funny thing is I was a smoker for a year and half (which I am not proud of) but I never was addicted to it, I just liked to do it. Of course, that just made the whole thing even stupider. But it took me so long to quit because everyone told me it was going to be so hard. In truth, I flushed my tobacco down the toilet and quit cold turkey, for the first week I wanted a cigarette a lil', but after that I was absolutely fine.

I don't have any and the one time i felt i was close to becoming addicted to alcohol, i stopped drinking for a good long while until i felt comfortable drinking again.
I never cared to pick up smoking because i have a sensitive nose and both sides of the family were heavy smokers.

Back