Nintendo Super Smash Brothers 4.

Squid

Suck my dick.
Veteran
Gil
There is no thread on this yet!
I am super excited about this game and I just read this article:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/smash-bros-creator-hypes-mondays-nintendo-direct

sakurai.jpg

For those of you who don't speak Japanese, here's a rough translation of what he had to say:

"Please take note: on the Nintendo Direct broadcast on June 11, we will be showing the first images of our new Smash Bros - simultaneously, worldwide, at the same time." Note that the wording that directly translates to "images" could also be interpreted as "clips," so it's not out of the questions that we'll actually see first footage for this game come next week.

Bring on the 11th.

Yeah, I heard today that a trailer is confirmed on the 11th. I really cannot wait to see the trailer! I am very excited! Smash is very close to my favourite series. If anything.. it is my favourite brawler. Namco are co developing it with Sora. I would say that KOS-MOS from Xenosaga has a strong chance to get in since she is really popular in Japan. I would say her or Lloyd Irving/Pacman.

It is for the Wii U and also the 3DS!

I'll probably get both versions. They're meant to be different.

I hope that if Sonic stays in it they will improve on him.. also for the love of god no DLC for the characters, that would be terrible!

Also the fact that it will be on both 3DS and Wii-U seems to throw me off, if they will each have exclusive characters... or if it will be the same game?

I hope this is better than Brawl; that game was absolutely atrocious when compared to Melee. Too many good characters taken out, and too many crap or pointless additions. Lucario was a poor version of Mewtwo, and did we REALLY need Wolf in there when he was just another clone of Fox? I'd like to see a little more variety in the next game; some NEW characters that aren't just moveset clones of other ones.

I get a feeling it'll be the same game on both platforms, just with cross-platform compatibility, similar to Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Which wouldn't really be a bad thing I suppose, although if the 3DS version doesn't have online multiplayer I won't be too happy about it.

Anyone got any specific hopes for new characters? I'd like to see Ike ditched and replaced with Chrom or Lucina; Ike was a waste of space, and I doubt Roy (who was my main in SSBM) will make a comeback. Lucina would be a better choice, because she's the more interesting character, but since Chrom is the main character in Awakening I expect it'll be him if it's anyone. Tharja would be amazing, but I doubt that'll happen. If they take out Lucario and add in Zoroark I will flip metaphorical shit. Adding in Mewtwo now that he has that ugly awakened form might happen I think, which would still be better than Lucario. I'm against character clones, but Dark Samus would be nice...and maybe Shadow, if they're keeping Sonic in. If there is another Zelda character, I'd rather it was Vaati than Ghirahim, but I'd place my money on the latter.

Since Namco Bandai is helping with the development, I expect we'll get a character or two from one of their games as well...Zelos would be my top choice, but it probably won't happen. Honestly, I'd expect to see a Tales of the Abyss character before a Symphonia one; Abyss was released on 3DS recently, and ToS Chronicles probably won't come out on the Wii U, so it'd make more sense. Although Abyss doesn't have any decent characters, so it'd be a waste of space. I would LOVE to see Gabriel Belmont from Lords of Shadow make an appearance, but the odds of that happening are astronomically slim.

If Shulk (or better yet, Reyn) is in it, it's an instant purchase for me. Shulk could have an amazing secondary costume (if you've played Xenoblade, you know what I'm talking about) but Reyn would have the most amazing lines ever. "Whatta buncha jokers!" for a taunt. "Now it's Reyn time!" when selected on the character selection screen. "Alley-oop!" when you jump. You can't tell me this isn't a good idea. Riki would be hilarious, as well.

I hope this is better than Brawl; that game was absolutely atrocious when compared to Melee. Too many good characters taken out, and too many crap or pointless additions. Lucario was a poor version of Mewtwo, and did we REALLY need Wolf in there when he was just another clone of Fox? I'd like to see a little more variety in the next game; some NEW characters that aren't just moveset clones of other ones.

Anyone got any specific hopes for new characters? I'd like to see Ike ditched and replaced with Chrom or Lucina; Ike was a waste of space, and I doubt Roy (who was my main in SSBM) will make a comeback. Lucina would be a better choice, because she's the more interesting character, but since Chrom is the main character in Awakening I expect it'll be him if it's anyone. Tharja would be amazing, but I doubt that'll happen. If they take out Lucario and add in Zoroark I will flip metaphorical shit. Adding in Mewtwo now that he has that ugly awakened form might happen I think, which would still be better than Lucario. I'm against character clones, but Dark Samus would be nice...and maybe Shadow, if they're keeping Sonic in. If there is another Zelda character, I'd rather it was Vaati than Ghirahim, but I'd place my money on the latter.

Since Namco Bandai is helping with the development, I expect we'll get a character or two from one of their games as well...Zelos would be my top choice, but it probably won't happen. Honestly, I'd expect to see a Tales of the Abyss character before a Symphonia one; Abyss was released on 3DS recently, and ToS Chronicles probably won't come out on the Wii U, so it'd make more sense. Although Abyss doesn't have any decent characters, so it'd be a waste of space. I would LOVE to see Gabriel Belmont from Lords of Shadow make an appearance, but the odds of that happening are astronomically slim.

If Shulk (or better yet, Reyn) is in it, it's an instant purchase for me. Shulk could have an amazing secondary costume (if you've played Xenoblade, you know what I'm talking about) but Reyn would have the most amazing lines ever. "Whatta buncha jokers!" for a taunt. "Now it's Reyn time!" when selected on the character selection screen. "Alley-oop!" when you jump. You can't tell me this isn't a good idea. Riki would be hilarious, as well.

I do agree with some of this, Martel. I do agree with brawl being a bit of a pain because Roy was taken out. Roy was already so good and Ike was just a nooby power character. I guess he was really there for "new" players. I was not happy with Mewtwo out either. I can see him coming back and have his awakened forme as his final smash. It would be pretty cool. Yes! I would love Lucina or Tharja. Metroid needs a villain rep! I think Dark Samus would be perfect. I hate clone characters as well but it is possible that Dark Samus would be completely different in terms of moves. I heard Wolf was added last minute....

No! No more Sonic characters. He was just a special case. Like I said above, KOS-MOS is perfect for this new installment. She has numerous action figures, appeared in Three nintendo ds games, and she is very popular in Japan. I would go far and say she might be as popular as Lloyd Irving! One of her games was also Xenosaga I and II on ds. The others are Mugen no frontier: Super robot taisen og saga, and Project X Zone. Monolith made Xenosaga(They are currently 1st party developers for nintendo) and Namco own KOS-MOS.. so I think it would be awesome if she were the namco rep. I don't want pacman.

Xenoblade? Shulk is the most likely to get in. Reyn or Fiora would be very awesome. Reyn's final smash could be ITS REYN TIME! :lew: Fiora vs KOS-MOS would be awesome.

Super smash bros Wii U and 3ds e3 trailer revealed!

SSB-E3-2013.jpg

Newcomers include Villager and Megaman.

This latest installment will arrive in 2014 and will be on Wii U and 3ds.

Mario, Bowser, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pit, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu are all confirmed to be back so far.

Trailer

Trailer with megaman intro

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_094.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_095.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_096.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_097.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_098.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_099.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_100.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_101.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_102.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_103.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_104.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_06-11-13_108.jpg_600.jpg

Well, Megaman sure was obvious. I am not too happy about him getting in. This looks really fantastic and I cannot wait to see the reveals over the year. Villager was a bit unexpected, IMO. Does anyone else think so? The graphics look so good! Oh and apparently the 3DS version will appear to be cell shaded unlike the Wii U version.

Source: Gematsu

Last edited:
Villager will fit right in imo. I mean, there was an Animal Crossing stage back in Brawl, so it makes sense that he makes an appearance. I can see the moves being things like: dig a hole trap, throw apples, slap with a fish :lew: . Can't wait.

Megaman :hmmm: . The moves they showed were pretty well thought out and had a lot of variety. I think he'll be a fun addition. I can just see everyone using him online. Speaking of that...I hope they improve the online experience. The wait for a fight was a nightmare in Brawl, with you just fighting a white bag for 10 minutes. Then there was the massive amount of lag :wacky: .

But yeah...can't wait :)

Fucking fuck yes! It's coming out for the 3DS! I am so getting this motherfucker when it's released. I've always been a huge fan of the SSB games, and this one will most likely be the best one yet! I can't wait. >_> A million characters FTW.

Wii-Fit Girl is going be in this now..
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE???

It is true.

Wii-Fit-Trainer-Joins-Smash.jpg

Wii trainer from Wii fit will be joining the cast. Her final move(final smash)? is know as Wii Fit. She was just revealed in a developer video hosted by Masahiro Sakurai.

Little mac, Pacman, and Mii are speculated to be newcomers as well.

Ugh well this was such a random choice. I really hope Pacman is not the namco rep because I would prefer KOS-MOS so much more.

Last edited:
..wait.. what is little mac? and how is Pacman going work? going just munch munch munch?

...The wii fit lady? For real, real??
That is the worst thing I have ever heard.
I'm not too impressed with the new characters so far...
Megaman is ok because I think we all expected him.
Animal crossing villager is Meh... why didn't they add tom nook instead?
Mii is boring, wii fit lady is the biggest load of shit...

Pacman wont be so bad but I want some better characters than this :(

Some more smash news for your viewing pleasure.

SSB-Wii-U-3DS-No-Cross.jpg

Remember that annoying mechanic in brawl? The one they call tripping? It has been removed.

Are you happy? Smash Bros Wii U is going to be the speed of melee and a bit of brawl. So a bit in the middle of both.

I come with other news as well.

Super smash bros Wii U is the final title. Lame right?

Smash bros Wii U will not have cross play functionality between both versions. Sakurai's reasoning for this was that the created different stages for each version. He also stated that you would be able to transfer "customized characters" between the versions. Could he be hinting at the dreadful Miis to appear in Smash bros wii U and 3DS?

Bad news

No dlc plans as of now.

On Namco bandai characters: Sakurai explicitly said that namco bandai characters are not in his "interest" He sounded very sincere when saying that smash bros is an all nintendo cast celebration. This means that any 3rd party character(like megaman) has to be a special occasion. We might see ONE Namco character at most. Sonic and Snake in brawl were very special occasions.

Lastly, Sakurai asked IGN which namco character they would like to see. They suggested PACMAN to him and Sakurai asked a bunch of questions such as "What would his final smash look like?" How would he become super powerful?

Source: Gematsu ign

So is pacman ruled out? What do you guys think? Was Sakurai surprised to hear this due to what he was asking? Is he really planning to add Pacman? Are you guys happy tripping is removed? I sure am!

If I had to pick a namco character for Smash bros wii U... I would pick KOS-MOS. She might be ruled out now though. :gasp:

I believe the full titles, for the Wii U and 3DS versions respectively, are Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. Yeah... >.> But in general -psyched- about the games, Bowser should actually be usable now! :D

I personally can't wait for this game to come out, though I am a bit torn regarding what Sakurai's said about how aside from the stages, both games would have the same number of characters. Though we don't yet have the full roster, I really hope Nintendo didn't gimp the Wii U version of more characters because of 3DS hardware restrictions (when compared to the Wii U's hardware capacities).

No updates in this thread? Shocking.

Well I am sure people heard the good news. Rosalina is a newcomer in super smash brothers for Wii U and 3DS!

Rosalina-Joins-New-Smash.jpg

Rosalina and Luma from Super Mario Galaxy will be joining the fight in the new super smash bros as playable characters.

Trailer

Screens

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_001.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_002.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_003.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_005.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_006.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_007.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_008.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_009.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_010.jpg_600.jpg

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U_2013_12-18-13_011.jpg_600.jpg

I am really excited to play as her. Her moveset looks really unique and is not just a Peach clone like people thought she would be. It is nice to see her join the fight because she has been in a fair amount of mario spinoffs and also 3D world which was released recently. I can see her as a technical character who may be hard to play in the first week the game is out. She does look like she requires extensive learning.

Lots of new announcements since this thread was last updated. Since Rosalina, several playable characters have been announced. Also, we've been given a general (but still more specific than what we had) release date for the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game. Expect the 3DS version to release sometime in the summer. The Wii U version is said to be arriving sometime in the winter.

Newly announced playable characters (some new, some old):

Yoshi
Charizard (no Pokemon Trainer--videos indicate Charizard and Lucario's ability to access Mega Evolution)
Greninja
Sheik (separate character from Zelda--no transformation for Zelda)
Zero Suit Samus (separate character from Samus--no transformation for Samus upon use of Final Smash)
Little Mac (confirmed)

SUPER excited by what we've been given so far. A little worried about the lack of confirmation on Ness, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff. Considering the large amount of Pokemon already confirmed, Jigglypuff may be on the chopping block.

Back