Gil
FFXIV
Yuno Mizuno
FFXIV Server
Lich
Free Company
Silver Lining

Video Description said:
This is a side quest on disc 4 that was unknown to most FFIX players until yesterday when a topic popped up on the FFIX message board at GameFAQs. It was discovered by The_Kusabi_ (through the Ultimania guide) and confirmed by MysterPixel. Naturally, I had to check it out and I decided to record a video.

If you go to the Tantalus hideout at the beginning of disc 4, you will find Zenero and Benero wondering where Marcus and Cinna are. You've likely seen this before, but this is actually the beginning of a side quest. Now, head to Memoria and proceed until you watch a cut-scene or fight a boss. Then head back to the hideout to find Genero wondering where Benero and Zenero are. Then repear this process seven more times and every time you go back to the hideout, you will find a new member of the family. The last five are girls and the final one seems to be a child, as she is really small. Once you talk to her, Zidane will comment on the huge family and you will now find a new chest containing a Protect Ring inside the hideout. The next time you come back, the quest will simply start over, but there's not enough events to complete it twice. These are the events that move the quest forwards:

1. The beginning of Disc 4.
2. The battle with Nova Dragon.
3. The battle with Maliris.
4. The flashback of Alexander.
5. The scene where Zidane talks to himself.
6. The flashback of Dagger on the boat.
7. The scene with the giant eye in the sky.
8. The battle with Tiamat.
9. The scene with the two planets colliding.
10. The scene where Quina thinks he/she is drowning.
11. The scene where Garland talks about memories.
12. The battle with Kraken.
13. The scene about Gaia's birth.
14. The battle with Lich.
15. The scene where Garland talks about the beginning and the Crystal.
16. The scene where the party enters the Crystal World.
17. The battle with Deathguise.

It's no surprise people have missed out on this, considering how obscure it is. It also makes an Excalibur II Perfect Game more complicated. New things are discovered in old games all the time, but it's usually glitches or obscure tricks. This time, we got a whole new side quest, a treasure chest and seven characters! Needless to say, my mind is blown.

this is just like.... err what, I don't even, just how :wtf:

Wow, how did this go unnoticed for so long? o_o I mean, it's not a major sidequest by any means, and you only get a Protect Ring (although I'm not sure how difficult it is to get that in the game otherwise).

Even if I happened to see that first scene where Zenero and Benero are wondering where Marcus and Cinna are, I wouldn't have thought much of it. Not enough to keep visiting the Tantalus hideout to see any new developments. xD;

Anyhow, I think it's kinda neat how they discovered something "new" in this game even though it has been more than a decade later, lol.

I love hearing about things like this, on the one hand it shows that even games long since released can still surprise us all whilst portraying no matter how old something is, if it's loved enough people will still continue to interact with it. It also crossed my mind that something like this could potentially never happen in modern video games. With the inclusion of trophies and achievements, even stickers or commendations on some Wii games side quests can't really be missed so easily anymore and I find myself pondering if this is a good or a bad thing.

I heard rumours of PSX trophy inclusion on SEN and to be quite honest I increasing doubt it, though I wonder if that would unveil more side quests such as in FFIX? I just love the thought of some gem I missed in FFVIII no matter how big or small. Sorry if that gets a little off topic, just found it quite thought provoking.

This is quite impressive. Final Fantasy IX is by no means a small game and this discovery gives testament to the game's depth and detail. It begs the question of how much more we're missing from this truly great, yet tragically passed over game. It is a shame that FFIX was released towards the end of the PS1's lifespan... Let us not forget that this game also has very detailed graphics that were significantly reduced by the PS1's limited graphics power. I would love to see a "remaster" of FFIX--by which I mean SE use all their original work at maximum quality for the PSP or PS3. Maybe then more people would be drawn to the title today and we could learn of more secret cutscenes just like this one.

Edit: For those of you who haven't realized FFIX is a graphically superior game, here is a link that demonstrates the quality of the game's renders and beautifully detailed backgrounds: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=56379000#post56379000

Awww man! That's so cool! I have to do that next time I play through the game. Though, Mom is probably gonna be upset about it. After I was bragging about doing everything in the game, (including Ozma) she won't believe me ever again. :( Either way, this is pretty cool! XD I can't believe things like this can go unnoticed for so long. XDXD

I'm replaying 9 right now.
Mind = Blown. Sadly the reward isn't very mindblowing - STILL - awesome to see the game still surprising people all these years later.

It reminds me when I was younger I was playing Phantasy Star 4 and found a temple on the planet Rykros that was completely left out of the 'official' strategy guide.

I wonder what else we missed...

i'm always amazed that people think to try things like this. presumably the person who noticed decided to just keep trying it on the off-chance and it paid off, but why would you bother?

i'm always amazed that people think to try things like this. presumably the person who noticed decided to just keep trying it on the off-chance and it paid off, but why would you bother?

My thoughts exactly

The final fantasy 9 official guide was notoriously bad. To find anything out you had to go online. I never had internet back in those days. Its not surprising that theres stuff in that game no one knows of. Well it is a little. I wouldnt bother for just a protect ring tho :(

I thought you said the 'midget ones' :lew: wondering what the fuck you were on about :lew:

Its been so long since i played it i cant remember tbh. I like it as much as 8 7 and 10 but i never went for the sidequests in it really

For a ring... man this game had some of the worst side quests ever :wacky: great game with terrible side quest/side missions. Excalibur II, this thing, mognet central, Chocobo Hot and Cold.

Hot and cold was the one sidequest i quite liked actually. It took a bit of time to complete

Wow.... I can't believe nobody has noticed this. But then again, I never thought to leave Memoria that many times for what would seem like no reason. Seems like a lot of work, so almost nobody would even bother. Amazing people STILL find new stuff in these games.

why would you even bother for the sake of a protect ring? :wacky:

I don't suppose you would know at the time :wacky: its like when you go to all that trouble to complete the mognet sidequest and that gives summat completely naff like a protect ring as well. I know its something I already had in my inventory anyway, I was outraged at the reward from that one :lew: I still do it though because I like artemicion... cant say id bother with this one, as cool as it is that something new has been discovered, its just not worth the massive faff of going back and forth just for that reward.

That's impressive. I'm loving this game even more, and whoever found that out is awesome. We need to ̶h̶a̶c̶k̶ play this to the fullest to find out all it has to offer and really make it "100%".

saw a video by garland a while ago on this, pretty darn cool, one of my favourite games too, went back to do this myself and felt pretty happy about it :D

Back