Anything to appreciate for an old school Final Fantasy fan?

SiderealPassing

Ex-Soldier
Gil
I love Final Fantasy I-X. X-2 was enjoyable but kind of stupid. I hated XII and it didn't even feel like a Final Fantasy game to me.

Is there anything to appreciate for an old school Final Fantasy fan in FFXIII?

There are chocobos? And there are monsters that have featured in previous FF games. That's really the only thing I can think of... Umm...yeah if you think XII was nothing like a FF game, XIII is ten times less a FF game.

Overly dramatic "story" (*cough*) that like FFVII or FFVIII wouldn't look out of place in an anime show, where it ultimately turns into a mission to save the world before the villains successfully destroy it?

Uhh, well, there's a Bahamut. Yeah, ignore its ability to turn into some kind of jet thing, and you have the classical dragon summon, albeit it shoots Mega Flare from its arse instead of its mouth or wherever.

Ummm...you may enjoy the name throwbacks to Palom and Porom (Palumpolum), Anima (in the form of an ugly Fal'Cie...thing) and Lindblum with that atrocious Cavalry airship.

A main character who was designed using Cloud as a template and a black man with some form of firearms as weapons starting off in the middle of a dramatic event on a train? I'm not sure how appreciative of that throwback(?) to FFVII's opening you might be, but there you go.

Crystals! Umm, well, there are certainly not crystals. They're not elemental, but they're still crystals!

Seriously, FFXIII is the most anti-Final Fantasy there is. FFXII, which by the way, is a good game and I will defend it to death, is at least more of a Final Fantasy game by virtue of the fact that you feel like you're traversing a world with dungeons, towns and actual world building going on. FFXIII is no more a Final Fantasy or a JRPG than it is a linear, set-piece-driven flashy movie set like the Uncharted games. You go from one gorgeous set-piece to another with swathes of enemies to kill and cutscenes to watch in between.

if you want old school, i dont recommend this game to you. and im saying that not out of hate but simply because its just a bad mix.

Its enjoyable, its definitely not VII-X FF quality tho. i think its enjoyable, i guess it depends on what u want to play and how u want to play it. 13 and 13-2 r definitely more layed back games, they dont have u at the edge of your seat the entire time you play, but i enjoyed it. just beat 13-2 for the 2nd time and going back to collect everything in the game and im still having fun with it. although i do get bashed for liking it, but hey if you like it, good for you, if not, then oh well :P

Hes basically asking if ff13 has aannything for the old school players. And seeeing he did not enjoy 12 he most likely not enjoy 13. There really isnt anything tieing to the oldschool gameplay other than a heavily useless ATB system

Back