It's cool to say that this game is overrated nowadays

Well to be fair if you haven't played CC then you can't really say that it's not better than the original.

It's the hipster effect I"m sure... so popular some people think they have to be "cool" and hate it. There is some genuine dislike for the game from some, but I personally know quite a few people that only "hate" it because (their words) "Sick of hearing about it being so goood...."

Though hopefully it passes at some point. It's getting tiring hearing the same boring ranting on other forums about the game.

I could talk about how it's impacted me, the plt, characters, side-quests, treasure, *droool* or, I could respond with four simple words; 'Too big to fail.'

Final Fantasy VII is dumb

Crisis Core is so much better

Zack over Cloud ! Cloud is too emo

OWA ? I prefer Ex-Death's theme

Final Fantasy XIII is tons better than Final Fantasy VII

Lightning over Cloud anyday, Cloud sucks

tumblr_msig1xqwb51szim6vo1_250.gif

it was a fun game. Really enjoyed it. Biggs, WEdge, and the other characters i miss, but hopefully if a remake comes by again, we'll see them in a new design. although everyone crushing on Cloud got a bit tiresome, but ever since ffx, i got used to it.

the vast open 3D world was a first for me, and it was amazing. it was until i bought the guide that there was a whole mess that i missed out on and after lookingf or all of it, i played it again and even more fun.

who would've thought yuffie was a valuable party member? the story was good, the light design of the characters is probably what through off the dark features of the game, but overall i liked how it didn't try to be funny all the time but still allowed some funny areas.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to compare it to other FF titles and I don't think it's overrated just because it's popular or they don't like it. There are actually a lot of people who think this way, and honestly I think this game deserves the respect it gets. It has a really nice story, soundtrack, and some interesting characters as well. Another thing I liked was that the battles was fast-paced and I only recall having to level-grind once in the game for a boss battle. However, I'm not saying criticism of this game is a bad thing. It was a great game for its time and it still is pretty fun for a lot of people. There is actually a fair amount of people who dislike the game nowadays, so I don't think it's overrated.

I think the issue is that people think 7 is over rated just because of when people who play it now as oppossed to people who played it when it first came out look at a few things in perspective of other FF games theyve played. Like comparing 7 and X when you played X when it was first released and havnt played 7 till just a week ago.
People who have been playing FF games since the beginning i think have a better appreciation of the games and therefore dont compare the games together.
You cant really compare X to 7 when 7 was made in 1997 i believe & expect it to have as much of an impact on you as it would if you played it when it was first released. 7 is a great game, not overrated, its juts old and some people dont have the nostalgia feeling others get when playing the old FF games.

It's not cool to talk about final fantasy. Therefore saying that 'FFVII is overrated' is uncool by default.

Personally the game fell short of my expectations, I played FFVII after having played most of the other games. I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was as good as the others. I think the argument that 'people are calling FFVII overrated because it's cool' is kind of immature. People can actually form their own opinions about whether they like a video game or not. Just because a lot of people hold a different opinion to you, it doesn't make them sheep.

People buy a game, play it and decide whether they like it or not. They don't have to justify why they like it or not because these things are subjective and really not that big of a deal; we aren't debating public policy here. :wacky:

Previous games were ff1, 4 (2), and 6 (3). The 16-bit era. So unless you played ff7 after ff8 and over. I think you had unrealistic opinions.

Back then, ff series was considered lesser than zelda. And although different genres, it makes sense. Ff back then wasn't as puzzling or offered as much freedom. We didn't get ff2, 3, and 5. Two of those offered ffjobs. So saying ff7 didn't meet your expectations. What did you hope?

What did you hope?

Probably for what so many other fans say it is. The best game in the series, the best story, the best gameplay. When people rate it so highly others expect it to meet those ratings and for me it didn't. I liked the game sure, but it's not the best in the series like a lot of fans say it is. Many fans say it's the best JRPG ever made, so of course people who hear that are going to play it expecting something great.

I remember when this game first came out. I was ten years old. I had gone over to my cousins house, who had the game, and played through the initial reactor mission.

And thought it was the best thing ever to exist :ohoho:

The only one I had played at that point was the original on the NES, but after that, I inevitably became a FF fan. I started early lol.
Therefore, FFVII is the polar opposite of 'over-rated' in my book.

I remember when this game first came out. I was ten years old. I had gone over to my cousins house, who had the game, and played through the initial reactor mission.

And thought it was the best thing ever to exist :ohoho:

The only one I had played at that point was the original on the NES, but after that, I inevitably became a FF fan. I started early lol.
Therefore, FFVII is the polar opposite of 'over-rated' in my book.

I totally agree. FF7 is a great game fans just got tired of hearing about it. FF6 is still my favorite with 7 and tactics tied for second fav games (tactics the most under rated FF imo). 1 through 9 are all good in their own special way. Nothing against anything after 9 i just never have never had the urger to play 10 through lighting returns. Anyhow bottom line 7 is what gave the series it's most popularity and for good reason, it was the groundbreaking RPG.

Supermassive black hole of spoilers below and I'm not gonna spoiler tag it because this game is now so old that if you haven't played it yet, you probably aren't in this section...

Firstly, Cloud...My feelings about him have already been explained, so I'll directly quote it.
#8 : Cloud Strife of Final Fantasy VII. Let me be clear, I also love this guy. I hate him, and i hate that I love him, but I can't lie, he ahs his good points. What I hate about him is his entire identity crisis. I understand after playing Crisis Core that he was in a comatose mako poisoning state and infused with Zack, Sephiroth, and jenova cells, so his identity crisis was well justified, but I can't help but feel as though Crisis Core was nothing more than an explanation after enough people asked and Square didn't even know for themselves until they decided to produce the game. But, I can get by this, that's ok, I've seen worse. What really irritates me is in the movie, Advent Children, his pesonality is changed from a cocky and determined man with a good heart, to an angsty emo git. If you don't get it by now, i hate when people get angsty while the PLANET AND ENTIRE WORLD is in danger.

Aerith was far from lovable for me. I hated her, actually. She's so clingy, and to be honest, kinda creepy. She falls in love with a man who resembles her dead boyfriend, which my girlfriend pointed out, is actually a sign of a serious psychological problem, and I trust her judgement seeing as how she's getting her PhD in psychology. But aside from that, when I first played the game and she got killed, I was so happy I literally shouted "Yes!" I was at the time somewhere around 14 years old. She was a self righteous little girl who refused to let people help her. "Oh but she was the last ancie--" I don't care, that argument is ripped to shreds when Cloud moves on to go to the city of the ancients anyway. She could have just brought him with her and then everything would have been okay if the whole party was there, essentially preventing her death. She brought it upon herself, and quite frankly, deserved it with an attitude like that.

Sephiroth did not kill Aerith. That was a remnant of Sephiroth. If you don't remember, Sephiroth was at the time still encased in a hunk of materia, there's no way he would have sealed himself in there. I'll grant that it was the will of Sephy, yes, but people always talk so highly of this specific scene. A villain killing the people that pose a threat to him? What an amazing and original plot device that everyone that has ever made a decent story ever has used over and over again! It wasn't even a surprise to me. If you were shocked by her death, you didn't pay much attention to the game at all. He was set up in an ok manner, I have no beef with his setup, I just have beef with him. The game basically calls him an idiot when he comes out of the life stream and realizes Oh, I'm not an ancient. But I thought I was. And to be honest, once you keep going, they set him off as being a threat so big that it doesn't even effect the player. It feels like just another big bad boss. The best set ups are when they gradually gain power, not just suddenly BAM I'M ALIVE AND GONNA KILL ALL YOU SCUM! It was a terrible build up simply because there was no actual build up. I never felt truly threatened by him due to his lack of graduation. Not to mention Sephy did absolutely nothing that just anyone could do other than return from death, which isn't that big of a deal in the Final Fantasy franchise. He used the black materia to summon meteor, which I get took a strong will to summon, but anyone with a disgruntled past that sought to damage the world in a significant way could have that will. I get that Sephy used to be a hero, I played Crisis Core, I learned a lot of his story, but he's just so plain, and when we do see him as a villain, he wants to merge with the life stream and become the god of the planet. But why? Because his mommy wanted to. Get your own motivation, then try to be the antagonist you glorified mammas boy! Hojo was a better, and arguably the real, villain in this game.

Barret and Red I will give you. Barret should have gotten more time in the spotlight, he has one brief arc then it's over. Red was ok to have a short one, as it was all that was needed, but Barrets involves other peoples lives as well.

This game does have redeeming points, but what I'm trying to say here isn't that this game sucks, I'm tyring to say instead, do you think people are saying the game is over-rated because it's cool, ot is it because it's not everything it's hyped up to be? I personally have never said something was lame because it was cool, I call it lame because it's lame. I call this game over rated because it's over rated. I still love the gameplay, I still love Vincent and Red, hell, even Reeve is a good character, but I think it's over-rated because people like the things in the story that are utter shit.

I believe it's all opinion about who plays the game. The generation of gamers who grew up and played FFVII when it first released are of course going to love the game until the day they die. I hear from many FFVII fanatics that claim it's the best game ever, but it's because it was the 1st one they ever played in the franchise. I am the same way. I claim FFX to be the best of all-time and it is the 1st one I completed.

I don't think it's overrated. It was a major release on a next-gen console during the late 90's w/ so many improvements in graphics, story and battle system. It was coming off a great predessessor in FFVI, but the jump to the PS1 made a whole new generation of gamers obsessed, crazed, and love struck on FFVII.

I believe it's all opinion about who plays the game. The generation of gamers who grew up and played FFVII when it first released are of course going to love the game until the day they die. I hear from many FFVII fanatics that claim it's the best game ever, but it's because it was the 1st one they ever played in the franchise. I am the same way. I claim FFX to be the best of all-time and it is the 1st one I completed.
You never forget your first.
I was going to say much the same thing. I'll also add that the people who are saying that it is overrated are people who didn't play it when they were younger, or who did play it and didn't love it. I doubt there's very many people who didn't love it first time round who say it's the greatest game of all time. Because of all the hyperbolic rhetoric that surrounds FFVII (it's the best game ever etc), anything less than the best game ever means it is overrated. There's also the backlash you get against popular things. I don't think it's cool to say that it's overrated, because there is nothing that can be said about video games that can ever be considered cool. Also just because it's 'cool' to say FFVII is overrated doesn't mean that said statement is wrong. It's cool to say Coldplay are shit, however, Coldplay actually are shit. I do think it's overrated, there's only one great thing about FFVII and that's the music that plays in Mako reactor things.

I don't think it's overrated. It was a major release on a next-gen console during the late 90's w/ so many improvements in graphics, story and battle system.
FFVIII was released a year after VII, and VIII's graphics are so much better.
In terms of both story and battle system it's a step back from FFVI. FFVII's plot is fairly standard, go to random places, stop bad guy from destroying the world. The only unique thing is Cloud's crisis of identity.
The Materia and Esper system, from what I can remember of FFVI, are almost identical, and FFVI has a job/class system whereas FVII does not, making FFVII less complex.

I just think that it's people trying to balance out the exaggeration in favor of the game with unfavorable exaggerations. Or something dumb like that.

FFVIII was my first FF, but FFX is probably my favorite just because there is so much shit in the game to do. I like FFVIII, but I've played it to death lol

Either way, I don't get why people do it or make such a big deal about it. Sometimes the past does seem so much sweeter in retrospect rather than actuality.

But regardless, Final Fantasy is a legendary name in gaming. Has fans from all around the world and has seen a lot of success. Even if one person says a game is shit, there are still going to be a lot of people who will say the opposite.

The company that makes these games are pretty much renowned for offering the best products in this particular genre, so I wouldn't get too upset about anyone saying one of your favorite games sucks - it isnt like they are going to stop making them anytime soon.

Just to add a little more to what 2/3 posts said.

I mean I think every FF game has its fair share of fanatics (well...almost everyone one)

Where they think that their FF is the best and the other ones will never be as great, which for an example if someone thinks FFVI is the best, then they hear someone say that FFVII is the best, they are going say FF VII is "overrated" cause they think that it isn't the best.

Me personally I always get tossed up between FFIX and FFIV with Tactics after those two.

For me even when I first played FFVII I didn't think it was the best game ever, granted my first FF was FF IV back when it was FFII on the Snes in America.

I do think FFVII get's said it is the most "overrated" mainly because it was the most popular FF game, sold the most units for a FF game (I think for a console RPG to, don't quote me on this though,) sold the second most on the PSone Console (right behind Grand Turismo.)

So with all those things it is going have its fair share of people that are going hate the game and say that it is overrated :elmo:

My little rant on FFVII...

Guys, I just joined the forums, because I needed some place to rant about how FFVII is so goddamn overrated and people could actually understand what the hell I was talking about...
So here it goes, FFVII is a great game, no question about that, but the best in the series? lol guys!! I understand that it was the start of a new generation of FF games, and for a lot of you, the first RPG you ever played, but cmon people!!
It just freakin grinds my gears that the game gets so much attention when games, far superior like FFVI, FFIV, FFIX...have to live in the shadow of such a cliche game!
I want a fuckin FFVI movie, but instead I am bombarded with goddamn FFVII spinoffs and movies everywhere I turn my face...
And again, don't get me wrong, love the game and the stuff related, but hate that other, better games, have no attention because of the fanboys that can only see FFVII in front of them...
*SIGH* Aaaaaand...I'm done...

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings <.<

Even though FFVII is one of my favorite games in the series i agree with you and what annoys me the most about FFVII's popularity is fact that it isn't just the fanboys or the media who overrates the game, it's Sqaure Enix themselves as well.

Back