It's cool to say that this game is overrated nowadays

FFVII is quality. It doesn't mean it's overrated because you didn't enjoy it as much as the majority. I myself dont understand the praise that IX gets, in my opinion if I had to pick out a game that I would say is overrated I'd say it's that one. Everyone's different, that's the point im trying to make really. I think the storyline is memorable, the game mechanics are still solid and were arguably great for their time and the characters are decent to good. I think it came at a time when gaming had just started to experience a huge influx of popularity and for a lot of people was their first RPG, mine included. You pair a good game with nostalgia factor and you get a game that people love. Not to mention the soundtrack in 7 was the best in the series by a country mile. I have a few issues with the game, mainly the cross dressing and other lame shit like that but I think that's just japan for you. I still rate the game very highly. It's probably either my favourite or second favourite: battling with X.

I'm with iSmiff on this one. I do not think VII is overrated, even though it's my favourite one in the series. I think it's just how/what people praise about it. Every game has flaws, no game is "perfect".

I for one thing X and X-2 are overrated... I couldn't find the hype in those...

FFVII Is super over-rated when you look at how the fantards actually see it :lew:

People often think that FFVII is either a love or hate game, but that's simply not true. You're either a Fantard, Fan, indifferent, or a hater. Unfortunate for nearly everyone else, The fantards eclipse the others. I love FFVII, and I fall under the hater category. The story is just trash, but if you took out the story and just did all the gameplay, it's RPG gold. There is so much to do, so much customization, and so many possibilities for your team. FFVII is great, but unfortunately, the fantards (again, not fans) eclipse the views of the normal fans, which will argue that it does have flaws. And it does. As much as I hate FFVII, it's actually a prime example of how to make a great game.

Now if only its story was decent :sad3:

iSmiff, I enjoyed the game dude, but I don't think it is the best in the series, and even less that it deserves the attention Square Enix and the comunity gives it because the game simply isn't that good.
It breaks my heart when fucktard kids say FFVII is the best game in the series and that FFVI (for example) sucks just because of the old graphics...For me Final Fantasy is the music, the plot, the deep chars...and what VII did was give me a mute silly hero, which later Square transformed into a fuckin emo, and a story full of cliches and way to "meh" compared to other instalments...

Ehhh, I think anything that has a sizable following is going to have people who deem it as the benchmark that no other game/book/film can surpass and- on the other hand- people who deem it "overrated". Some people do it to be different, to be trolls... Or they simply don't like the game.

It's less a problem with the game, more a problem with the way some fans rave about it. People get obsessed sometimes. People like to be right and hate to be proven otherwise... Mix the two together and you get a Fanboy/girl. Like I said, you see it everywhere.

Now, for VII itself: I gave the game one bash a year or so ago, didn't take to it and gave up. I found other games just more interesting at the time. I didn't really like the cast, tbh(Of course, I didn't get through disc 1). From what I played, I didn't really feel it. The Materia system was cool, ATB was always a fun system to play with... But I didn't take to the game at the time and that put me off from trying again. Of course, I've put it down on the never-ending list of things to do over the summer... So don't burn me if I sprout out as "CloudXTifa McGee" by Summer. :hmmm:

Anyway, I think the main problem is with the super fans. They hold the game in such high regard that it can turn off other people. It just so happens they're the more vocal of a bad bunch(I find Gamers to be some of the worst fans to deal with, tbh :lew:). VII fans just seem to be more vocal and abundant-so it's logical for Square Enix to appeal to these fans with all the VII spinoff's,sequels, prequels, mid-pre-seq-triquels ( You also could have the whole "It's my BABEH" situation going on with Nomura, but I can't really support that idea well in an argument...).

Anyway, you're always going to get people who over estimate how good or how influential something is just like you're always going to have "DA HATERRRRS". You can never escape them.

iSmiff, I enjoyed the game dude, but I don't think it is the best in the series, and even less that it deserves the attention Square Enix and the comunity gives it because the game simply isn't that good.
It breaks my heart when fucktard kids say FFVII is the best game in the series and that FFVI (for example) sucks just because of the old graphics...For me Final Fantasy is the music, the plot, the deep chars...and what VII did was give me a mute silly hero, which later Square transformed into a fuckin emo, and a story full of cliches and way to "meh" compared to other instalments...

Mm, Square noticed that the fans loved the game and naturally wanted to cash in on that. The reason FFVI didn't get more spinoff is because it wasn't as popular. That's a fact. There's no debating that. Game companies claim to care but spinoffs are rarely planned and are used to cash in on an established consumer base. FfVII is the most popular hence why that got the spinoffs. Look at X: gets slated but was clearly popular enough to warrant a successful HD remake and sequel.

i don't see the problem with Cloud or the story to be honest. Squall is much more one dimensional. Aren't characters meant to develop? I'd argue cloud Definitely does that. Squee tried explaining his qualms with the story but I just don't understand the huge deal he makes about them. It's a fantasy game and he complains sephiroth isn't memorable because he didn't succeed in wiping out mankind. Each to their own; I believe a villain can be good even if he fails.

To add to Smiff, not only was VII just More Popular, but...Looking at the raw numbers, VII was roughly four times more popular than VI. Sources below :monster:

http://video-games.findthebest.com/...-of-Final-Fantasy-VI-the-video-game-were-sold
http://video-games.findthebest.com/...of-Final-Fantasy-VII-the-video-game-were-sold

And looking at others, I'm surprised Final Fantasy VIII didn't get any spin offs with the number of sales that also had.

And poor Final Fantasy IX sold only 5 million.

VI was great, some debate it was the best, however when you look at the numbers, it did pretty lousy. Sure, it did twice as good as Final Fantasy IV. Hell, FFVII Even still tops FFX

FFVII is to this day the best selling Final Fantasy. That means there are more fans, more haters, more indifferent people, and when you make over 4 million more than your first next-gen (ps2 gen ADN ps3 gen, XIII selling 5.7 million) it only makes fiscal sense to make more installments to such a large franchise. It's sales are ridiculously large even by todays standards when games are very easy to simply buy with a click instead of going to the market and hoping it's still there. I don't think VIIs story deserves more to be added, but if I looked at those numbers as a business man, I'd pump out more installments, too.

The plot took me a while to understand but I don't think it's as convoluted as some people make it out to be. After playing through the game a few times and reading some plot analysis' online, I have a pretty firm grasp on the events in the story. That being said, I've never seen anything like it. It's an amazing story.

This says a lot about the quality of this game...For example, as I used before, FFVI made me smile, made me cry, made me hate, made me love, and I didn't need goddamn replays or to read plot analysis' anywhere, I just played the game, enjoyed the story to it's full because I could understand and relate to everything that was happening and every character involved.
The story was really deep, and a true masterpiece, but easy to understand and enjoy at the same time. That's what makes it a great game.
FFVII told a deep story? Maybe, but compared to other plots in the franchise it is just average.
I'm not raging over FFVII over here guys, please understand that, I'm raging over the fact a lot of you undervalue the other games because you think FFVII "is the real deal"...and in reality it is just one average game in the franchise.

Here are a few reasons why Final Fantasy VII is the big Final Fantasy, in my opinion at least.

Firstly, it was the first Final Fantasy to be released world wide. Now some people might question why this matters... This matters because before hand EU and AUS didn't even get one Final Fantasy game, they missed out on the whole NES and SNES FF games. and America only got FFI, IV and VI (although IV and VI were renamed II and III in America.)

Secondly, It was highly advertised. Now why would this matter? Easy, advertisements help sell the product, not to say I, IV and VI weren't advertised, but you were lucky to see them in a Nintendo or general gaming magazine maybe might of caught a commercial of it, but very rare (at least from what I remember). Playstation and Square had a demo for it in one of the Playstion Magazines, and they both advertised it in magazines, video games stores, even on TV. They advertised it to the people around the world!

Thirdly, it was many peoples first Final Fantasy game. Now if you really enjoy a video game series, or actually anything like that, a book series, a movie series, whatever it is, Usually people hold that first one dear to their hearts. This sounds cheesy, but very true at the same time. They see it as the very first one they ever played, and many people loved it, so much that people thought that FFVIII at the time was going be the sequel to FFVII.

Fourth, it was the first 3D FF game. Big deal right? Well it really is. Square and Sony knew what 3D and AMV's were going do to the video game industry and they took full advantage of advertising that fact to the people.

Now why did Final Fantasy VII get sequels where I, II, III, V, VI, VIII, IX didn't? (IV got one way later... so add that to the list if you want...)

a few reasons... again in my opinion.

First reason, Final Fantasy VII sold the most. (10 million copies), now if you are going to try and retell a story or add on to a story, would you do it to a less popular game first? Nope, going do it to the one that sold the most.

Second reason, the other stories actually were 100% complete. VII kinda ended without a full ending... Think about all the other games, you kinda know where most of the characters ended up, (some are left to speculation and stuff) but you know that most of them are alive and so on. With VII Meteor falls and then you get the Aerith screen in the stars from the start of the game, then you move 500 years later (or something like that) and you get Red XIII with cubs and Midgar ruins, with trees everywhere... No idea if anyone else survived. Where was Cloud and the rest? No idea...

I mean with all the other games you kinda know where the characters ended up. Now you can expand on the story to each of the FF games sure, but FFVII had the most mystery about it I think. I mean you had the story of who was this "Zack" guy, and what really did happen 5 years ago? You had the mystery around if the planet survived or if humans were wiped out. I mean these are questions that get asked right away. With the other games sure they might of made you laugh and cry more, but you knew for the most part what happened. VII, no idea...

Now as far as people "undervaluing" the other games, I have to disagree with this. if you go around to other FF forums (or forums in general that Final Fantasy is talked about a lot) sure VII is many peoples favorite, but at the same time, you hear a lot about the other games that you mentioned earlier... I mean a lot.. but if you only look at people saying they want a FFVII remake, sure you will think it is over rated, but I hear a lot of people wanting a FFVI remake to (on 3DS) but still they want one. Just have to look at more than FFVII :elmo:

Sorry Bender, I'm not getting your point...Essentially what you are saying to me is that FFVII is the best in the series because it was advertised and had commercial success for something as shallow as ugly 3D graphics?
I'm not debating the commercial success of this game over others in the franchise, because there is no arguing that VII was, commercially speaking, the most successful game, that makes it the best game in the series quality wise? lol nope my friend.
And don't get me wrong, I understand Square's point of view, they simply don't give a shit about what the fans want, they want money, and wat gave them money back in the day and keeps giving them until now? The goddamn "prostitute" we know has Final Fantasy VII. They have exploited the game so much and produced so much shitty stuff related to the game that it became tiring just to look at Cloud's face... We wanna see Kefka bring the world to ruin in 3D, I would like to see Zidane discover who he truly is in a new gen console...Not even that, I just wanna see a good Final Fantasy game, instead of the shit we have been playing lately! And that will not be possible while they keep focusing they efforts in more and more FFVII junk, while the whole franchise gets neglected to oblivion...

Sorry Bender, I'm not getting your point...Essentially what you are saying to me is that FFVII is the best in the series because it was advertised and had commercial success for something as shallow as ugly 3D graphics?
No I am simply saying why FFVII was loved by many fans... and why fans want a remake.

And that will not be possible while they keep focusing they efforts in more and more FFVII junk, while the whole franchise gets neglected to oblivion...

You do realize the last thing that Square has done with Final Fantasy VII came out in 2007, right? :elmo: At least 7 years of non FF stuff... Unless you want to count the Advent Children "complete" which I think was 2009? and if you are going count the FFVII on PC, they also did FFVIII on PC, and while we are at it, FFI-IX have been reported onto the PSN, and FFX/x-2 has just got a HD remake on the pS3.

So now my question is why are you simply blaming FFVII? When we have had FFXIII this whole generation? FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII:LR... No Final Fantasy VII anywhere on PS3 (except on the psn). The only thing to come from psp is Crisis Core back in 2007...

So why are you blaming FFVII now? When maybe the only things that have been said about FFVII is that they are not going remake it.

Also on a side note, I personally love FFVI as 2D, I hated the 3D that was FFIV on the DS, and Dissidia kinda killed Kefka. Also you want a remake of FFIX? cause you can get it on the PSN right now if you really want to.

I'm not debating the commercial success of this game over others in the franchise, because there is no arguing that VII was, commercially speaking, the most successful game, that makes it the best game in the series quality wise? lol nope my friend.
And don't get me wrong, I understand Square's point of view, they simply don't give a shit about what the fans want, they want money, and wat gave them money back in the day and keeps giving them until now? The goddamn "prostitute" we know has Final Fantasy VII. They have exploited the game so much and produced so much shitty stuff related to the game that it became tiring just to look at Cloud's face... We wanna see Kefka bring the world to ruin in 3D, I would like to see Zidane discover who he truly is in a new gen console...Not even that, I just wanna see a good Final Fantasy game, instead of the shit we have been playing lately! And that will not be possible while they keep focusing they efforts in more and more FFVII junk, while the whole franchise gets neglected to oblivion...

You can't recognize that it sold the most copies while shooting down weather or not it deserves more to the story. It sold the most copies, therefor there is a very large number of people who haven't even experienced the others. IV, VI, and IX are in my top three, and I think VII was fun, but far from the best, however VII left much to be desired by the fans, mostly because, as I said in my previous post concerning how it sold the most, that means there are more fans and more haters. Regardless of how many haters there may be, there are still more fans simply because there are people that have played and experienced this game and not the others. Again, VI sold 1/4 the amount as VII, and the fans wanted to see more since it left some questions, such as who Zack was to Cloud, more on Sephys origins, etc. It's really not a strong argument to say Square doesn't do "what the fans want" when the majority of FF players have played FFVII, and a large portion of FFVII players haven't played I, II, III, IV, V, VI, IX, XII, and XIII. I left out VIII and X because their sales are marked pretty close to it, but VII still has the most.

Since the vast number of FFVII fans want more FFVII and they deliver, how can you honestly say they ignore what the fans want? When you look at raw numbers, Square delivered, and now they're basically done. Before Crisis, Crisis Core, FFVII, Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children all were delivered for the fans, and as Bender said, the last FFVII we got was in 2007. Don't get me wrong, I dislike FFVII very much, though I do enjoy its gameplay occasionally, but I think it's getting more flack than it deserves. I instead choose to pick on the inconsistancies, like the ones Crisis Core brought in and how Clouds attitude changes from a headstrong, confident soldier type to an emo angsty git type. I think this game is quite over-rated, but it's also the most under-rated by haters. It deserves some credit for it's massive success.

Wow...2007 was 7 years ago...I'm getting old... :p
The reason for my whole little rant was because Square said they aren't remaking VII until they make a game that is better...And I'm reading that and thinking why the fuck haven't they done the remake yet because, that's what fans want, and they have already made, several games, better than VII...
I just feel sad and revolted that Square and a great part of the community undervalue the rest of the games so much...In the end, it all come down to money...

I'm reading that and thinking why the fuck haven't they done the remake yet because, that's what fans want, and they have already made, several games, better than VII...

I think what they meant was in number of sales. which I don't know if any FF game will top FFVII at 10 million units...heck I can't think of one Console RPG that has sold more than that. I know pokemon has, but really after that I don't if any RPG in general has sold more than that.. Only other thing I can think of is WoW but hard to tell those sales with how many expansion packs they have....

Is it possible that one Final Fantasy will sell over 10 million units? maybe eventually, but I just don't see it happening (unless it becomes FFVII on PS4...then I could see it happening. )

Skyrim has sold more than 10 mil. Different type of RPG though.

As for the OP point, it seems like popular opinion moves in waves in a sense. For about 7 years after it came out, everyone praised FF7. Then the 7 years after that, everyone got tired of the praise and the saturation of that world with the extra games, cosplays and millions of forum avatars. It seemed like people then reverted to saying that FF6 was the best in the series. Hmmmmmm

Back