It's cool to say that this game is overrated nowadays

The issue with people that throw the overrated word around is that some of them, if not even most of them, havent even played the game or are simply jumping on bandwagons. I do believe that there are people out there with valid reasons and arguments to think that FF7 is overrated or even to think it is a bad game, but when their arguments are as well developed as "FF7 is for faggots" or " X character is an emo angsty teenager" I fail to acknowledge their credibility.

Needless to say.. It is ultimately a subject of purely subjective nature. Who defines what is the best rpg, what makes a good rpg. What may be a flaw to you might be a plus to someone else. Why are you right and why is anybody else wrong. Opinions cannot be disproven UNLESS they linger outside of the subjective realm and of course if they contradict a known fact. Why do people even care that the game is loved by many, why is it relevant? Why does it bother you that FF7 is "overrated"?

That right there is ridiculous. Those are the people that I absolutely can not stand, I agree with your post on everything you posted. Like I said though, I'm not saying this game is terrible by any means. I just don't think that it's the pinnacle of the FF games that the fan boys wanna go around and say it is. It sickens me that this game is the one and only older game that gets attention and gets the spinoffs, the movies, the prequels, even if a majority of the stuff made is indeed shit quality. It's like SE has basically forgotten that the other games do exist and that's where alot of my hatred that I developed has come from.

I agree with you on everything you said and I absolutely hate when that's peoples reasons for saying that FFVII is overrated. I can't stand when people can't find any reason to hate something other than just spitting out reasons that inturn are personal insults towards people that love the game. Like I said though, I'm not saying this game is terrible by any means. I just don't think that it's the pinnacle of the FF games that the fan boys wanna go around and say it is. It sickens me that this game is the one and only older game that gets attention and gets the spinoffs, the movies, the prequels, even if a majority of the stuff made is indeed shit quality. It's like SE has basically forgotten that the other games do exist and that's where alot of my hatred that I developed has come from.

But that's the company's fault not the game's fault.. Imagine that instead of FF7 receiving the treatment, it was final fantasy 9. You wouldnt be complaining then, would you?
Why is it that FF7 is the one that gets the spinoffs and the attention? It's easy. FF7 was the best selling one, square enix is a business and unfortunately not an entity to move the quality of games in general forward. The corporate side, the one that makes the decisions doesnt give a shit if something is fair or not, that's why it is the way it is, they just want to make money, most of them are oblivious to gaming anyway, they dont even play games and probably think they are nothing but toys.
The only way that we can fight that is to speak with our wallets but I digress this is going off on a tangent.

But that's the company's fault not the game's fault.. Imagine that instead of FF7 receiving the treatment, it was final fantasy 9. You wouldnt be complaining then, would you?
Why is it that FF7 is the one that gets the spinoffs and the attention? It's easy. FF7 was the best selling one, square enix is a business and unfortunately not an entity to move the quality of games in general forward. The corporate side, the one that makes the decisions doesnt give a shit if something is fair or not, that's why it is the way it is, they just want to make money, most of them are oblivious to gaming anyway, they dont even play games and probably think they are nothing but toys.
The only way that we can fight that is to speak with our wallets but I digress this is going off on a tangent.

I don't mean to sound like a complete hypocrite when I say this, so I apologize for saying this. I personally don't want any IX spinoffs, prequels, movies, anything. That in itself is what killed my love for VII and made me despise the game because of the whoring out and the raping of the game that SE did. Sure its not the games fault that SE milked the fans for all their worth and they absolutely ate everything up, but it still just didn't sit right with me. I felt that all the spinoffs did more harm than good. DoC was pure shit imo and thankfully I borrowed it from a friend. I couldnt play more than an hour of that game before I said forget it. Crisis Core was really really good. I loved learning about Zack and his backstory, seeing Sephiroth before he went all bat shit crazy. I loved CC. But Advent Children? Was an Anime really needed?

I don't mean to sound like a complete hypocrite when I say this, so I apologize for saying this. I personally don't want any IX spinoffs, prequels, movies, anything. That in itself is what killed my love for VII and made me despise the game because of the whoring out and the raping of the game that SE did. Sure its not the games fault that SE milked the fans for all their worth and they absolutely ate everything up, but it still just didn't sit right with me. I felt that all the spinoffs did more harm than good. DoC was pure shit imo and thankfully I borrowed it from a friend. I couldnt play more than an hour of that game before I said forget it. Crisis Core was really really good. I loved learning about Zack and his backstory, seeing Sephiroth before he went all bat shit crazy. I loved CC. But Advent Children? Was an Anime really needed?

Alright fair enough..
Anyway, it's not like they forced you to buy or play the spin offs? If you didnt want them in the first place, why did you bother to even play them. I think it is very silly to complain about something that is OPTIONAL!
I also fail to understand why a bad sequel, arguably, would take away from the original experience. For example I despise FF X-2, the premise alone "ruins" the meaning of the original FFX, it's ending basically. That's why I refuse to play it, I simply dont want play it, I dont bitch about the fact that it exists though, why should I even care, why should it even affect my appreciation of the original FFX.
Advent Children wasnt necessary but it's not like they sat you on the couch and forced you to watch the damn thing. If you dont like something dont buy it, dont experience it.
You lose all your credibility if you go against your own convictions.

Alright fair enough..
Anyway, it's not like they forced you to buy or play the spin offs? If you didnt want them in the first place, why did you bother to even play them. I think it is very silly to complain about something that is OPTIONAL!
I also fail to understand why a bad sequel, arguably, would take away from the original experience. For example I despise FF X-2, the premise alone "ruins" the meaning of the original FFX, it's ending basically. That's why I refuse to play it, I simply dont want play it, I dont bitch about the fact that it exists though, why should I even care, why should it even affect my appreciation of the original FFX.
Advent Children wasnt necessary but it's not like they sat you on the couch and forced you to watch the damn thing. If you dont like something dont buy it, dont experience it.
You lose all your credibility if you go against your own convictions.

X-2 was so bad. It was sad that X was followed up with that because X was such an awesome game despite having to follow the red arrow and being very linear.

I just personally don't like how VII gets put up on this pedestal above all the others, as if to say that the rest aren't even in the same league. It's not the only one that exists in the FF universe. I just feel that it's disrepectful to the other games that get no attention and it irritates me.

Oh well no use in arguing over it, good day.

FFVII needs a bit of credit from the haters. Lets be reasonable here - the game did infact introduce a lot of gamers to the RPG genre, the majority of which I believe is still hot on the genre today. I raise my hand as being one of them. The RPG era of the 90s is still the best years of my life. I would have never played games such as Suikoden II, Parasite Eve, Legend of Dragoon, had I never played FFVII. Every gamer is different of course, but after I was done with FFVII, my first thought was "I gotta play more of these!"

FFVII needs a bit of credit from the haters. Lets be reasonable here - the game did infact introduce a lot of gamers to the RPG genre, the majority of which I believe is still hot on the genre today. I raise my hand as being one of them. The RPG era of the 90s is still the best years of my life. I would have never played games such as Suikoden II, Parasite Eve, Legend of Dragoon, had I never played FFVII. Every gamer is different of course, but after I was done with FFVII, my first thought was "I gotta play more of these!"

[FONT=Batang, serif]I don't think all the people saying the game is overrated necessarily hate the game. I think it's overrated and I liked it. I jst didn't love it, and for a game that gets praised as the best FF game, with the best villain, the best lead character, the best heroine. Some even say it's one of the best JRPGs ever to be made. And I just think the praise is way OTT for a game I didn’t think was that amazing. Almost all the other FF games I've played I've liked more than VII, and I think the praise it gets actually takes away from the other games in the series. [/FONT]

I agree with this. I think the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII was a total failure overall and produced some extremely average products. Advent Children was probably the best thing the compilation had to offer, but this was due to the incredible CGI and fight choreography, not the god-awful plot with emo-Kadaj and co. No, Square, we don't want your rubbish mobile-exclusive games and substandard PlayStation 2 shoot 'em ups, we just want a remake of the original game! Why don't you give the fans what they want?

well thats just what people say when they think a game gets more attention than they think it deserves

i never really listen to anyone who says something is overrated in an attempt to imply that there was nothing great about it. like some people think ffx is overrated and want to imply that it wasn't a great game. well fuck them and their stupid opinion, everything about ffx was pretty great and i feel like it set an overwhelmingly crushing bar for this series.

i mean most people who say that only want to complain about the story or characters, but i am a visually and mechanically stimulated kind of person, i am biased towards great visuals as well as immersive universes and gameplay. the only kind of character that makes a game less enjoyable for me is one that whines too much, and the only games i have ever played with a character that whiny were pretty shit to begin with.

I started the Final Fantasy series with both FFVIII and FFIX followed by FFTactics. It wasn't until about 4 years later that I played FFVII. I admit that FFVII was a landmark for many things in the video gaming world but it is honestly overrated. VIII and IX were both much better than VII and honestly, I much preffered the story of FFT to VII even though the graphics were comparable outside of FFVII's CG. It's a solid game but certainly not the best.

It has always been cool to say this game is overrated. I remember in middle school some people saying it was overrated. Hey maybe they were just playing devil's advocate I dont know. Of course it doesn't really matter what other people think of the game. It just matters what you think of the game.

This game is probably the best selling console RPG that I can think of (if anyone can think of any other that sold more let me know)
That being said, it will generate hate for being popular, and be called overrated, look at Zelda's Ocarina of Time.
Both these games were basically called "landmarks" in the same era for different consoles. Both arguably always get called "greatest games of all time." That being said people either only look at the flaws (those that want to call it overrated) and those that ignore the flaws (those that want to say it is one of the greatest games ever made.)

Final Fantasy VII to me was a good game. I was playing rpgs before this, and I have to wonder about this game a lot though, if it was later in the series.. (say IX or VIII became VII) would this game still have as much love? I am not even talking about graphics here. I am saying that thanks to Sony helping Square publish this game all over the world, and also make advertisements for it (first one in the Final Fantasy series to be published all over the world) that it was able to sell so well. so would let say.. if VIII came first and was the first FF game around the world, would this one be the one that everyone would beg for a remake and call the greatest game of all time? or the best in the series?

That is what I always wondered about VII.

For me, VII was a great game, still is even with the "outdated" graphics, yet the game did have major flaws, and also lacked a few things.

As far as the sequels/prequels go.. I feel that sequels/prequels should ANSWER questions about the original game, not add more questions... which is where I feel the series fails. That shouldn't take away from the original though.

So is VII "Overrated?" I don't think it is the greatest game of all time, I find it very hard that one game can be called the "greatest game of all time" anyways?
Best RPG? Not in my opinion.
Best Final Fantasy? I have to say no again.
Was it a great game? Yes it was
Would I play it even today without a remake? Yes
Do I want a remake? Really only want this remake so people will shut up about if for one generation, yet I know that even if Square made it on PS4, I feel like people would want another remake on the PS5... PS6... and so on... That is where I feel that the "overrated" comes in.

I wouldn't say it's overrated, I would say it's overhyped. I started with VII, love it to death (just look at my name), still play it today, it might just be my favorite game. Still, I don't care how awesome I think it is, there's no way it could ever be as good as it's described. People act like it's the Holy Grail of JRPGs and Final Fantasy, like it's going to be dozens if not hundreds of hours of mind-blowing intensity, and it's really not. It's just a good game. You have the battle system, which is classic with a fun twist; you have the story, which is solid and engaging; and you have the music, which is full of great stuff.

I agree.

It's also really cool or hipster to say that Crisis Core is the better game ( psssh yeah right ) and that Zack Fair is much better and should of been the main lead of the original game even though the story was meant to be about Cloud from the start and Zack was just originally a random Hedgehog haired guy from Cloud's past.

I wouldn't say it's overrated, I would say it's overhyped. I started with VII, love it to death (just look at my name), still play it today, it might just be my favorite game. Still, I don't care how awesome I think it is, there's no way it could ever be as good as it's described. People act like it's the Holy Grail of JRPGs and Final Fantasy, like it's going to be dozens if not hundreds of hours of mind-blowing intensity, and it's really not. It's just a good game. You have the battle system, which is classic with a fun twist; you have the story, which is solid and engaging; and you have the music, which is full of great stuff.

Mm, you say that but I think it's the influence it's had on subsequent games in the genre and peoples lives at the time of release that make it so special and reserve its place in so many peoples hearts. Sure, by todays standards its nothing special but I believe at the time it was groundbreaking and had a confound impression on me as a young child and I think that's the case with alot of people, especially people my age who were at an impressionable level at release and took games more seriously than older people. As you grow up I think it gets harder to impress you, especially with advancing technology.

Mm, you say that but I think it's the influence it's had on subsequent games in the genre and peoples lives at the time of release that make it so special and reserve its place in so many peoples hearts. Sure, by todays standards its nothing special but I believe at the time it was groundbreaking and had a confound impression on me as a young child and I think that's the case with alot of people, especially people my age who were at an impressionable level at release and took games more seriously than older people. As you grow up I think it gets harder to impress you, especially with advancing technology.

I played VII as my first Final Fantasy game when I was 7, and it made as profound of an impact on me as it did on others. It really is great, but it's simply not at the level of hype people give it. It's sometimes treated like VII was the absolute ultimate JRPG and video game in existence, that every part of it is absolutely flawless and it is the epitome of perfection.

I played VII as my first Final Fantasy game when I was 7, and it made as profound of an impact on me as it did on others. It really is great, but it's simply not at the level of hype people give it. It's sometimes treated like VII was the absolute ultimate JRPG and video game in existence, that every part of it is absolutely flawless and it is the epitome of perfection.

I have never seen anyone like that, ever.. How do you find those people, really?
Most fanboys make it very clear that it is their preference and own personal opinion, if there are people who foolishly think final fantasy VII or any other game is the ultimate game let them be, they shouldnt be a concern of yours.
Most elitist fanboys have a preference for other final fantasy games anyway.

I tend not to buy into the overrated, underrated debate. You either enjoy a game or you don't in my opinion. I played Final Fantasy when it first came onto the scene in 1997, so i have a lot of fond memories of mastering that game, and then mastering it again. I was 13 years old, and the plot, characters and general aesthetic captivated me. I very recently mastered the game again for the first time in years, and it felt good. I got right into the zone, those original feelings came back to me. It was a very nostalgic experience, and i am a sucker for nostalgia!

MZ

I think it's an interesting case because very few games manage to elicit such a strong opinion from so many different people. A young gamer today wanting to go back and play games from that generation might be a little confused by the vastly differing opinions everyone has. There must be something about FFVII which allows it to garner to much interest. I think FFVII has been labelled "overrated" so much that I think it has come back round and might even be "underrated".

I think negative opinions could be a reaction to how overrated it might have been in say, 1999. In my opinion no game deserves to be called "the greatest of all time" because there are so many different ways a game can be truly great, even within one genre. To label a game as "the greatest" automatically makes it overrated, because no game (or book, movie, etc.) deserves that title. Frankly, I feel a lot of the hate also comes from certain people disliking it because it's so popular; sometimes the niche options appear "cool".

Personally, FFVII is by far my favourite game of all time, and I don't think anything will come close to it. But you know what? I'll be the first to admit that a good deal of that is nostalgia; the game hasn't aged well graphically. It sounds ridiculous, but an argument could be made that FFVI is a little more presentable in some ways. For me though, everything about FFVII was right. The music was amazing, the story blew me away, the materia system gives me exactly what I want from an RPG.

FF7 isn't overrated...I think it deserves all the praise and attention it gets, just not the attention that it's been getting from SE. They should have left it alone, but they ran off of the original and made all these sequels and prequels that made no sense, that I didn't and still don't want to make sense of. I would play Crisis Core, but the whole Genesis thing and Zack talking at the end of his death, the pop music (ugh) just...no. And seriously? There are people saying CC is better than the original? That's a definite no. :|

Back