Serious A mental romance

Artemisia

Time Kompressor
Gil
Do you believe it's possible to be in love with a person's mind? The way they think, perceive and process, love, hate and express?
As far as the person's outer appearance is concerned, there is nothing there, but their mind is simply so beautiful that you can't help feeling you're "in love" with them, or more specifically their mind? To the point where you wouldn't want your bodies to unite (i.e. sex) but you wish that your two minds could. What does it mean to experience that kind of infatuation? It is the most fascinating, alien and amazing thing I have ever experienced, and I wonder if I am alone in feeling this for somebody?

Have you ever felt sexual feelings for anybody? Or have you only ever felt this mental connection? If so then you are just asexual, there are plenty of people like you. I am sure you can find an internet forum or something.

Have you ever felt sexual feelings for anybody? Or have you only ever felt this mental connection? If so then you are just asexual, there are plenty of people like you. I am sure you can find an internet forum or something.

No, that's not it at all. I have sexual feelings and relationships - that is why this sudden purely mental connection over a mental + physical one is so strange to me. I have never felt that sort of attraction for someone on its own before. Sure, I've loved the minds of the people I've been in relationships before, along with their physical bodies. Now I am simply in love with a person's mind and not their body, which is why I made this thread, to find out if anybody else has experienced something similar.

Sapiosexuality. I am one of these people.

There is still physical longing, attraction to the body, but for the most part, we are attracted to the intellect, and knowledge.

For me and my girlfriend, it was like this. We were friends, and then we were best friends. As we started to learn more and more about each other, I began to realize how eerily similar she was to me. Down to the thinking, the emotions, the wants, needs, interests, hobbies, etc.

I recognized she had an immense disposition towards learning, and was incredibly persistent in the pursuit of knowledge. While she is very beautiful by other's opinion, I notice her intelligence first. It was because of this that I began to consider her my intellectual equal, as well as my equal in almost every aspect of the mind. We share the same goals, dreams, inhibitions, insecurities. It was frightening and overwhelming how little we didn't have in common.

Fast forward about 2 months, and we're in a relationship. It is impossible to not get along with her, and we both feel as though we were meant to be together. So I guess you could say we are in love, as far as that would go.

Essentially, I am drawn to her mind far, far, far, far more so than I am to her body, and her body was never part of the equation when we got together. We do have a very healthy sexual relationship, but a more serious intellectual relationship outweighs everything else.

Let me understand this, you love someone's brain? Does this mean you want to remove it or something? Or do you love how they do things like clean, write, exercise, eat, etc etc etc? Elaborate more because from my twisted perspective, I think you only love the person's brain and personality and not the person's being. o___o

Where is the passion in that? No idea if I got you guys wrong, but from what I've read here, this "mental romance" seems more akin to two computers being wired together. :hmmm:

I do not think you can be in love with someone's brain or mind or whatever. I think that is weird.
You can love the way someone thinks but I think you would also like their personality and them as a person if you liked the way they thought.

Do you believe it's possible to be in love with a person's mind? The way they think, perceive and process, love, hate and express?
As far as the person's outer appearance is concerned, there is nothing there, but their mind is simply so beautiful that you can't help feeling you're "in love" with them, or more specifically their mind? To the point where you wouldn't want your bodies to unite (i.e. sex) but you wish that your two minds could. What does it mean to experience that kind of infatuation? It is the most fascinating, alien and amazing thing I have ever experienced, and I wonder if I am alone in feeling this for somebody?

There could be many things going on here for you. The person could be goal driven, or have a vision. They could mentally break stuff down into a ways in which you understand and agree with more-so than most people.

Though I would assume that's more of a muse. Love is a loose term as it is. People who have lived the majority of their life have not even been around long enough to comprehend love over infatuation.

I love Carl Sagan's mind and Neil Degrasse Tyson's mind, but I'm a male who has no sexual appetite for men. They are able to speak their mind without fear. If someone asks a question, they never show signs of superiority and let the person learn. They never say they are completely right, and to be honest love to be proven wrong. That to me is honest and real, in which a lot of this current society has a hard time doing.

So to your question, can you be in love with a mind. Yes. Though can you be with it and coexist with it without any form of sexual tie or physical feeling. I would be brave to say, yes, but not at a young age.

Think of it like this. Most married older people are no longer interested as much in physical appetite. They are more in it for mental reconciliation and emotional reaffirmation. Someone to share stories with and not just get sick of after being so physically invested so long. Friendship is what you speak of, and it's okay to want to be around someone who is smart, agile, and quick witted. Those that hold their own in this dog race are the keepers of our future and our children's future. I rely on these folks who strive to better their minds, abstract methods, and test their will against the norm in which society is so apt to encapsulate.

Sapiosexuality. I am one of these people.

There is still physical longing, attraction to the body, but for the most part, we are attracted to the intellect, and knowledge.

For me and my girlfriend, it was like this. We were friends, and then we were best friends. As we started to learn more and more about each other, I began to realize how eerily similar she was to me. Down to the thinking, the emotions, the wants, needs, interests, hobbies, etc.

I recognized she had an immense disposition towards learning, and was incredibly persistent in the pursuit of knowledge. While she is very beautiful by other's opinion, I notice her intelligence first. It was because of this that I began to consider her my intellectual equal, as well as my equal in almost every aspect of the mind. We share the same goals, dreams, inhibitions, insecurities. It was frightening and overwhelming how little we didn't have in common.

Fast forward about 2 months, and we're in a relationship. It is impossible to not get along with her, and we both feel as though we were meant to be together. So I guess you could say we are in love, as far as that would go.

Essentially, I am drawn to her mind far, far, far, far more so than I am to her body, and her body was never part of the equation when we got together. We do have a very healthy sexual relationship, but a more serious intellectual relationship outweighs everything else.

Thanks atrophy, that clarified a lot of things for me. The person I am referring to shares many of the personality traits of your girlfriend, with the passion for knowledge, etc. Don't worry, it's not her :p

Let me understand this, you love someone's brain? Does this mean you want to remove it or something? Or do you love how they do things like clean, write, exercise, eat, etc etc etc? Elaborate more because from my twisted perspective, I think you only love the person's brain and personality and not the person's being. o___o

No, not their physical grey matter. Their mind.

Where is the passion in that? No idea if I got you guys wrong, but from what I've read here, this "mental romance" seems more akin to two computers being wired together. :hmmm:

Hehe, it is actually...makes me think of Sheldon and Amy from Big Bang Theory. I can think of some really weird pick-up lines.

I do not think you can be in love with someone's brain or mind or whatever. I think that is weird.
You can love the way someone thinks but I think you would also like their personality and them as a person if you liked the way they thought.

I do like his personality...personality is the expression of the mind's thoughts, desires and impulses.

There could be many things going on here for you. The person could be goal driven, or have a vision. They could mentally break stuff down into a ways in which you understand and agree with more-so than most people.

Though I would assume that's more of a muse. Love is a loose term as it is. People who have lived the majority of their life have not even been around long enough to comprehend love over infatuation.

I love Carl Sagan's mind and Neil Degrasse Tyson's mind, but I'm a male who has no sexual appetite for men. They are able to speak their mind without fear. If someone asks a question, they never show signs of superiority and let the person learn. They never say they are completely right, and to be honest love to be proven wrong. That to me is honest and real, in which a lot of this current society has a hard time doing.

So to your question, can you be in love with a mind. Yes. Though can you be with it and coexist with it without any form of sexual tie or physical feeling. I would be brave to say, yes, but not at a young age.

Think of it like this. Most married older people are no longer interested as much in physical appetite. They are more in it for mental reconciliation and emotional reaffirmation. Someone to share stories with and not just get sick of after being so physically invested so long. Friendship is what you speak of, and it's okay to want to be around someone who is smart, agile, and quick witted. Those that hold their own in this dog race are the keepers of our future and our children's future. I rely on these folks who strive to better their minds, abstract methods, and test their will against the norm in which society is so apt to encapsulate.

Very true. Perhaps this person is like a "muse", here to help me express or realise something. Definitely something to ponder.

Thanks for the input!

I don't exactly understand because you are saying two things. 1) You have no feelings for them physically and 2) you love his mind so much you feel you might ruin this mental connection?

To be in love with someone's mind and personality isn't the most odd thing in the world. I love my friends for their mind, my friends love mine. But it just seems for you that you enjoy observing his mind (like a lab rat?) and confusing it for romance.

Does your heart skip a beat when you're with or near them? or does it skip the moment they express themselves? You have to review how you feel and whether what you're feeling is just platonic yet increasing interest in that person, or you actually feel some romance when you're with them.

Last edited:
Love is more of a package deal (psyche, body, personality, spirit, how they treat me) for me, because I can like the way just about anyone off the street thinks as they may in fact be really smart...but whilst intelligence is an important factor, it is not the sole determining factor before I lay down my cards and say I love the person.

If it is for you and that's what you are into that's fine, but its a really abstract form of love in my eyes.

Back