Anime Attack on Titan

dropped at episode 13 because I just read the manga instead. it's fine and all but lol @ the pacing, it's awful. SAO had better pacing and it spent the first half doing side stories that nobody cared about. idk I guess this is what I get for watching shounen shit.

I'm still not sure what all the fuss is about, to be honest...it's more about the implication of violence than actual violence that makes this a moderately violent show. I have to admit I love the soundtrack, though, and I have cackled like a maniac at points as people have been brutally massacred on screen.

But this has "sequel series a decade later when more the manga is out and nobody cares anymore" or "OVA version that follows the manga religiously when it's finished" written all over it...it's like the Berserk movie project they've got going on right now. I wish they'd just waited and done a proper job of it, instead of dragging out minimal manga content (and skipping over a lot of it entirely) just because it happens to be popular right now so they decided to make a series of it.

^Pretty much how I feel. I haven't watched the anime since like episode 13 so I'm not sure how close it is to the manga content-wise now, but with how poorly paced the manga is, the anime should've waited another few years.

I like some of the characters and some of the quotes they make, especially the quotes by Levi. Considering he's the exceptionally talented sort, it seems almost logical that he would also be a cocky and arrogant person. To some extent he is, but he doesn't come off as condescending. Furthermore, he has also demonstrated an ability to be compassionate, something that strays away from the stereotypical mould for such characters. And something, I find, makes him a memorable character so far.

But that aside, I also think the arcs in the manga... Feels rushed to me. It's like one arc ends, and then they jump some weeks ahead to the next arc... And when that one ends, they do so again. I don't feel like there's enough opportunity to develop the characters' personalities, but it's still early to say for sure.

Back