Help Mastering Materia

poker king46

materia master
Gil
So i am going through and trying to master all of the Materia in the game (green and yellow down. red and blue to go)

aside from using that one monster in the crater that you have to use an item on in order to hit, what would be the best area to battle in? right now i just ride my gold chocobo to right outside of the forgotten city and backtracking that route a bit towards bone village but just past the sleeping forest. it seems to give the most bang for my buck there. as it only takes on hit per monster and the AP is 204-234 per battle.

if you have a better place to train that doesn't require some of the standard materia to be equipped then please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check all of your weapons. That's the biggest thing in mastering materia. There will be descriptions on materia growth. Some weapons will increase the rate of growth. I'd run through any of the toughest areas.

The area right outside of Mideel (The village/area where Ultima Weapon attacks, and where Cloud has his amnesia bit).

The monsters there are always grouped in 3s or 4s. And with the 3x Materia Growth weapons, each battle can net you from 300-400AP.

The area right outside of Mideel (The village/area where Ultima Weapon attacks, and where Cloud has his amnesia bit).

The monsters there are always grouped in 3s or 4s. And with the 3x Materia Growth weapons, each battle can net you from 300-400AP.
this this and this lol. 3x growth and im not sure but IIRC doesnt Cid ultimate weapon have 4x?? correct me if im wrong plz.

this this and this lol. 3x growth and im not sure but IIRC doesnt Cid ultimate weapon have 4x?? correct me if im wrong plz.

No. Any character's ultimate weapon has 0 growth, meaning that any materia equipped to the weapon will get 0 ap.

There is no weapon that has x4 growth...

but yes, as already mentioned, the forest area surrounding Mideel is your best place on the overworld. Group of 4 Headhunters will give you the most.

If my memory serves me correctly I'm pretty sure Cloud and Cid are the only characters who have weapons with triple growth the Apocalypse weapon for cloud is found in the ancient forest Cid's is the scimitar which I think you get during the underwater reactor just before you obtain the submarine.

The following info is start of disc 3 spoilers, or post second visit to Midgar depending on your version playing.

The absolute best way to train Materia is in the Crater. When you get to the point where the party "splits up", take two comrades who have Double or Triple growth with you and choose to go left. Upon doing so, you'll have a character say something to the effect of wanting to check out what's below. Don't do that! Instead, continue upward into the cave. Following the next area, you'll be in a large area that almost looks like a swamp. Run around the water pit in the middle constantly. I guarantee you will master Materia VERY fast in this area. An hour leveling up here will net you tons of gil, AP, and a decent amount of EXP. Many enemies in this particular area will grant very generous rewards. One group of enemies defeated, for example, will grant you like 3,000 AP. It's insane! 9,000 with triple growth.

Back