Help Enemy Skill Materia

mrdaggoth

Ex-Soldier
Gil
So, ever since I obtained the Enemy Skill Materia in the room where you first get Nanaki- I've always had a member of my current party equipped with it.
I'm at the part where I have to travel to the Temple of the Ancients but I only have two enemy skills?

Is there a way for Enemy Skill materia to be more effective in learning skills? Is there a certain way to learn the skills?
I've seen other walkthrough videos and people tend to have 15+ enemy skills by the time they get to the Temple of the Ancients.

Am I doing something wrong?

You learn the skills by having enemies that own certain skills attack the party member that has Enemy Skill equipped. You'll notice the party member spins around and it will tell you that the enemy skill 'insert name' has been learned.

Only certain enemies have skills you can obtain, and some aren't easy to get. There's even some you can miss during them only occurring once, I think it's a boss one you can miss it from.

But yeah, just gotta make sure said character is attacked by their learn-able enemy skill.

Yeah you're missing a lot of easy (and very useful) skills. White Wind for example is a game breaker and you can get it early with the manipulate materia. Flamethrower is a good early spell too and there are a few more that are very useful. Look up where to get these skills on youtube or google they're worth it.

Also, don't do the Wutai sidequest until you've acquired all four eskill materia and Pandora's Box is only ever cast once!

you should have picked a few up just on your travels, Go back to get beta of the midgar zolom, it will use it once its near death, though it is prone to kick a member of your party out of battle, so you might need to have one or two goes at that one. have you been to wutai yet? make sure you have it equipped when you go there for trine, if you dont have it already.

Youd be as well just getting a guide for the enemy skills as some of them you wouldnt know how to get or you need to manip the monster to cast it. which can be handy to do even if you dont need to manip the mon, the only one i can think of where you need to do that is for white wind... also getting chocobuckle, you need to use level 4 suicide or death... one or the other on a chocobo to get it to use it. Both those you can pick up as well on your travels, i know you can get micro missles just out side of midgar, and something death related from the GI cave, but you have been there already. erm. mighty guard... or am i getting confused with ffviii now.... there are a few useful ones, alot are utter pish, but it is worth working on, and as harl says, pandoras box you can only get once, so if you miss it you'll have to reset and start again!! you should of picked up magic breath and flame thrower in nibelheim as well. Also, you will pick another one shortly at an upcoming boss, aqualung!!!

edit* youre not doing out wrong, you just appear to be unlucky lol.

I just used the Wiki as a guide for the monsters that carry all the learnable skills. As soon as I got Highwind, I knocked out at least seven!

Using Manipulate to get White Wind from Zemzellet (Junon area) and Big Guard from Beach Plug (Costa del Sol beaches) are the the two best ones early on.

The first Enemy Skill available, Matra Magic is one of the most useful early on, especially for big groups of enemies like Capparwire, and can be learned from Custom Sweeper, on the world map near Midgar.

Back