Are there words you pronounce wrong?

Squid

Suck my dick.
Veteran
Gil
For some reason I feel like there is a topic about this floating about somewhere but guess what mods :hmph: I am too lazy to search it! :toni:

So are there any words that you pronounce wrong or differently that you know of?
A couple I thought about just now was the words Lego and Sega.

It is very common for people in Adelaide (where I am from) to pronounce Lego as Lay-Go rather than Leh-go
Sega I pronounce as Sea-gah!

I am sure there are more but that's all my little tiny brain can come up with right now.

Now you! :toni:

Steve always says bald (as in a bald head) as bold. It annoys the shit out of me! XD And he is originally from Adelaide. I swear you Adelaideins have your own language/accent.
Some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is so funny. XD

Anyway, I always say Capsicum, as Capsicun. I have issues with that word for some reason. :hmmm:

There are definitely other words I pronounce wrong but I can't think of them just right now. :hmmm:

EDIT: What annoys me most is when people tell me how they can't pronounce a certain word, but when they're explaining it to me, they pronounce the word correctly.

EG: An old friend of mine said, "I can't say remote properly, I always say remoke."

I said, "You just said it."

She replies, "No I said remoke." /smashes head into wall

Last edited:
The locals in my area cannot pronounce "pool" without it sounding like "pewl", but I've thankfully managed to avoid that trap.

One of my history modules at the moment is on the formation of the British identity and the British state from Elizabeth I onwards, and religion as you can imagine, plays a very significant role to it. As my seminar tutor enjoys assigning to us verbal presentations week by week, it got to the point where I just could not pronounce "ecclesiastical". It tends to come out as "eck-la-lis-tic-al". :hmph:

There's "barbed wire". I struggle with that second "b", so it comes out as "bar'red wire".

"Parliament" is one. Apparently it isn't meant to be "parl-a-ment", but I think nearly everyone does that anyway.

"February". That's another one I struggle with. It comes out as "feb-ru-ree"

"Clothes". Surely, you would think, I'm not enough of a pleb that I can't even pronounce such a common word? Well, I am. It comes out as "clofes". And when I'm speaking really quickly, it becomes "close".

The following one isn't really a word I pronounce incorrectly, but it's an Americanism that even I've adopted until it was pointed out to me. "Take a shower" is a filthy Americanism and our correct form should be "have a shower". And it makes sense. Why am I taking a shower? Am I going to grab the whole thing and take it from the room for some reason? Where am I taking it to?

I've also been told that "can I get a latte" is another filthy Americanism that has been silently infecting my innocent brain. I am not "getting" a latte in the coffee shop. That's the employee's job. I'm not going to climb over the counter and personally make myself a latte. It should also be "can I HAVE a latte?"

Being welsh means that pretty much a million words come out wrong. I pronounce "tooth" without going into the "too" sound. I can't write how I pronounce it... :/
Then there's comb, which I pronounce Cwm, so I don't emphasise the "oh" sound.
I pronounce February as Feberry. I love berries that much :wacky:
I've heard that Tongue is supposed to be said like Tong, but that's just weird. Why's the "u" there then? :rage:

There are loads more, but for the life of me I can't think of them right now. Maybe I'll come back and edit later :)

i do not stuggle with any words, because i am competent at speaking my first language. i have not suffered any severe blows to the head that prevent me from forming coherent speech, and i can both read and write very well.

You shit pooley, I was going to post that first

I don't see how people struggle to pronounce words in their own language correctly. Perhaps they should google the phonetics of the word if they struggle with it.

probably, but i've always been very good with pronunciation and done well with spelling and vocabulary

i've been friends with my best friend ever since we were just kids and he still can't spell atrocious or pronounce half the shit he reads lol

I find that I tend to mispronounce words that have a French origin in English. Words like faux. I want to say the x sound even though I know it's supposed to be silent.... The funny thing is that I don't think that I would mispronounce it if I were actually speaking French.

I almost dont want to post this cause its embarressing actually, and I try to avoid ever having to say it period. But theirs one number I can't pronounce and one word I can't say. I can't pronounce the number 12 right, its the beginning part but every time I say it, it comes out like im retarded or something. I can't type it cause I dont even know how to spell the way I say it and its weird.

The word I can't say is "World" I always say (whirl-ed) kind of stupid I know but its embarressing not being able to say suc a easy word :/

Well I've always had a speech problem.

There are many words that I can't think of that I pronounce wrong :lew:

When I was younger I used to say "baby suit." instead of "bathing suit." :wacky:

It would be quite dishonest of me if I said 'no, I speak English perfectly, duh'.

There are words that I know how to pronounce but I still mispronounce them at times. I know the words, etc, but due to a bit of a lisp from time to time I have difficulty being understood sometimes. My brain knows how the words sound, but when my thoughts are granted a vocal form and fly out of my mouth they sometimes morph into something indescribable.

Also... When I was younger and was nervous and shy about having a bit of a lisp, I used to avoid certain words with certain letters in them. Ever tried doing that? You can't really. As a result some of my sentences were quite disjointed (not quite as bad as Tarzan, but that would have been the next step). I've stopped caring about it so much now, and instead I wear my flaws (since they remind me that I am, indeed, a human being - we're all flawed). Since then my lisp still exists in some form, but it isn't as bad as it was when I had less confidence in myself. But in my line of work where I have to talk to lots and lots of people, I do find that every now and then an embarrassing situation arises where I'm saying a word (sometimes a very, very simple word), but nobody can understand what I'm saying. A few people have even asked me what language I'm speaking! I just have to laugh at myself to survive that sort of thing.

There are other moments when there are words that I only see written down, or I only use them in my mind and writing and rarely use them in conversation with other members of my species. Therefore when it comes to utilising these words orally I can sometimes mispronounce them. Everybody experiences that sometimes since English is not always phonetic. Once mistakes are made it is easy enough to fix them by analysing the word itself, and investigating the etymology of the word.

Cthulhu.

I've been saying Chatuloo for as long as I can remember. I don't think this is the right pronunciation. At least, I don't think so. It just seems like the kind of word that is exotic, as isn't pronounced in the straightforward vein that other words are.

Ifriit. It is not If-rit. It is If-reet.

If you disagree, please prepare a written note with your concerns and insert it into your ass.

Technologically, reiterate, and plenty of other words i can not recall at the moment. I stutter like a moron whenever i try pronouncing those words, so i avoid saying them as much as i can.

No. I pronounce everything correctly.
However, I have noticed that Lorde is pronounced by foreigners as 'lord'. Lorde is from the same city that I am from. Lorde is pronounced lordy, like that rock band that won eurovision a few years ago. If any other New Zealanders become famous I will tell you how to pronounce their names.

Eddie Izzard said:
Now I just wanna talk quickly about language, and then we can all go. Yeah, language. They do say Britain and America are two countries separated by the Atlantic Ocean, and it’s true. No, they say, “two countries separated by a common language,” that’s the line; it’s an Oscar Wilde line, I think. And we do pronounce things in a different way, like you say “caterpillar” and we say “caterpillar,” and… You say “aluminum” and we say “aluminium.” You say, “centrifugal” and we say “centrifugal.” You say, “leisure” and we say “lizuray.” You say “baysil” and we say “bahsil.” You say “’erbs” and we say “herbs,” because there’s a fucking “H” in it… But you spell through THRU, and I’m with you on that, ‘cause we spell it “THRUFF,” and that’s trying to cheat at Scrabble.

“How can we get that “OU” sound?”

“Well, a “U” will work,”

“What about an “O” as well?”

“We don’t need it, we’re fine.”

“No, I think an “O” in.”

“Well, all right.”

“And a “G” as well.”

“What?!”

“Yes, a “G” would be good. We need a silent “G” in the background, in case of any accidents or something.”

“Well, all right.”

“And an “H” as well.”

“Fucking ‘ell! Hang on.”

“An “H” in case some herbs come along.”

“All right…”

“And a Q, and a P, and a Z… Look it’s a word in Scrabble that’s 480 points!”/

This came to mind when I saw this thread.

Back