XBox Xbox One Reveal

Busta

Bang-a-Rang!
Veteran
Gil
Seymour
So the Xbox 720 (or whatever name it will be given) is suppose to have a big reveal next month at the end of April. I know Sony dropped an introduction video for the PS4 a few weeks back and stated a holiday release of the Playstation is the goal.

How many people know anything about the Xbox 720 so far? I know it's codename in product discussion is "Durango" at Microsoft right now. I've also heard of BluRay capabilities being a very strong assurance. Not sure yet on teh backwards capatability yet on certain games from the original Xbox or the 360 however.

E3 this June is suppose to of coourse be the big release of major Xbox 720 secrets so hopefully some teaasers or hints of upcoming games/accessories/products will start to surface soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive heard the usual bad rumours about it. Like games being tied to the console. Ie the game you buy will be registered to your console and thats the only one it will be playable on. I also heard one that it will require you to be online at all times to play a game. Even if the game has no online features whatsoever you will have to be online to play them. A built in blu-ray player will be a definite. Consoles now are multimedia items so the upgrade to having a blu ray will be a definite.

All the things i mentioned first are of course rumours only, and if they turned out to be true then the xbox would lose all its sales to the ps3 so i cant see the 1 game 1 system or the online thing being true. Despite all Microsofts talk about cutting out the 2nd hand game market and how it eats all theyre sales they would be shooting themselves in the foot by doing any of the afore mentioned.

That said if i do even pick up a next gen console. Which i likely will but not at release for obvious reasons it will be the Ps4. Ive been with Sony since the Ps1 and have no intention of changing unless the new Xbox is really something special and much cheaper. Both unlikely. Really i think both consoles will pretty much be the same as eachother but with a different design and interface and different controllers. I cant see one being far more advanced than the other.

Really i think both consoles will pretty much be the same as eachother but with a different design and interface and different controllers. I cant see one being far more advanced than the other.

I definitely agree with that. I think Sony and Microsoft have taken that advantage because of the success they've had since the original consoles came out for Playstation and Xbox. Their popularity has only gotten stronger.

I've heard also about the 1 game/1 console rumor, but did just see an editorial about 2 weeks ago that this would not be the case. That would mea that once you buy the game,, it's glued to that console for eternity; stupid. I don't know why any company would ever think of that. I think that would be mroe of a game-maker's idea, not a console producer's. However, never say never.

Also, it's a good thing that Microsoft is upping their game to BluRay style. This will prevent those pesky 4-disc games like Lost Odyssey and FFXIII whereas the PS3 and PS4 can boast all content on 1 disc. I think it'll be a great leap from the Xbox 360, but like you, I will not get a launch Xbox (or PS4) until all the original bugs are worked out.

I recently registered @VG247
Oh my massive discussion on there :tehe:

Wed, Mar 20, 2013 | 02:37 GMT
loading.gif
Add to My News
[h=2]Durango: Kinect, always-on Internet, and installs all mandatory – rumour[/h]

A couple of rumours about the next Xbox console have resurfaced, describing a console that is always on the Internet, always watching you with its robotic eye, and always insisting you install your games.

More »

114 Posted in: Microsoft, Rumour
Tags: Durango, Xbox 720

Source - http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/20/durango-kinect-always-on-internet-and-installs-all-mandatory-rumour/

Microsoft creative director defends ‘always online’ [Update]
Adam Orth confirming required online for the next Xbox?
April 4, 2013 / 09:31 PM EDT / Sal Romano (@salromano)
Always-Online-Defense-400x225.jpg

Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth has taken to Twitter to defend “always online” devices.
“Sorry, I don’t get the drama around having an ‘always on’ console,” Orth said on Twitter. “Every device now is ‘always on’. That’s the world we live in. #dealwithit .”
In response, BioWare designer Manveer Heir said, “Did you learn nothing from Diablo III or SimCity? You know some people’s internet goes out right? Deal with it is a shitty reason.”
Orth retorted, “Electricity goes out, too.”
And Heir countered (2), “You lived in LA, SF, Seattle… very connected places. Try living in Janesville, WI or Blacksburg, VA… You should move to a NON-CITY for a period of time and tell me how your attitudes change. Gamers live in non urban areas too.”
Orth replied, “Why on earth would I live there?”
A later tweet from Orth reads, “This has been a fun #lunch break. Even Manveerheir got up in my grill.”
To which Heir responded, “Haha, don’t get mad because I’m right.”
Orth countered with a “deal with it” photo featuring Barack Obama.
Another series of tweets continued the defense.
“Sometimes the electricity goes out,” Orth said. “I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner.”
An aspiring concept artist replied, “Vacuum cleaners require electricity to function. Games do not require online.”
And Orth responded, “I think you probably meant to say ‘some games do not require online’. Saying that games do not require online isn’t accurate at all.”
Orth’s comments follow the latest next-gen Xbox rumor today suggesting the console requires an internet connection to start games, and if dropped, players are given a short period to regain their connection before their session is suspended. Earlier rumors have also said the system will require an always on internet connection.
But these are rumors. Rumors which Microsoft has yet to confirm.
According to his LinkedIn profile, Adam Orth has been working on an unannounced project for an unmentioned platform at Microsoft Game Studios since February 2012.
Thanks, NeoGAF.
Mini-Update: It seems that Orth has locked his tweets. Find screen captures courtesy of NeoGAF member Shinobi602 and myself here and here.
Update: Orth has said that his debate with Heir is “just the normal daily back and forth” between the two developers.
“Apologies for offending non-cities,” he said. “I was trolling him personally.”
Heir added (2), “You should know we [Heir and Orth] are good friends who joke around with one another. Don’t read too much into our back & forth… All those tweets you are seeing about the city being superior. That’s him just trolling me. And I fell for it. Don’t bust his balls on that.”

Read More: Xbox Next, Adam Orth, Microsoft, Rumors, Xbox Next

I'm starting to miss the days when you could buy a computer console, and well and truly make the most of it without any need for the internet. If this console really is always going to be online, I don't mind too much so long as you don't go having to buy wireless adaptors or what have you. I mean, it's enough hassle for me with my Xbox having to hook up my internet to it. And that's only just to purchase and install some DLC. After that, the internet just gets hooked back up to the computer.

I don't know if it's just me 'getting old', but I just don't like how complex these things are getting. Whenever I buy a console, and the same goes for games, I just want something that I can sit home and enjoy playing and that's that. I couldn't care less about online features and the like.

From what I'm hearing so far, I don't think I'll be getting the new Xbox.

Squid

And this is one of Microsoft's customer's response.

One thing that makes me laugh about all this raging, is that I bet you a lot of these people will end up buying the console regardless. Some of these people are acting like they have to get this new Xbox console, but because it's "always online", they're going crazy about it haha. If you don't want a console that's always online, just don't buy it. What's the point in throwing tantrums about it?

I'm with Welshy on the "things are getting complex" part. It is a hassle already with all these internet wires and whatnot. I really don't know if I'll get the next Xbox. I might go back to Playstation in the upcoming generation. I really don't know yet. I do know, I won't be getting a new console for at least another 2-4 years.

Everything is bordering on annoying at this point. Ehh.... I'll just wait and see sup.

Oh! Durango = Fandango

XD

15plhdh.gif

It's okay. I wasn't exactly thinking of getting the Nextbox anyway.

One thing that makes me laugh about all this raging, is that I bet you a lot of these people will end up buying the console regardless.

This.

I know the internet message boards have nigh-unanimously condemned Microsoft, and acting as if Steve Ballmer has just volunteered to slit Microsoft's collective throat (supposing this is actually 100% true), but the vocal ones are not representative of the masses when it comes to reception towards a big name brand. For example:

4qUJhlq.jpg

So if the creative developer guy is on Twitter about this, is this a tacit confirmation?

As for the guy, well, I'm not sure if he was doing more trolling than he was spouting genuine contempt for those living in places with relatively spotty internet connections, but it doesn't diffuse what looks like an obnoxiously arrogant Microsoft though. It's like the sort of thing EA would do in response to outcries over the bullshit online-only nature of SimCity. A game that still sold well, on top of that!

EA and Microsoft would happily hold hands and skip through the fields as conjoined twins or something.

It's also a terrible consumer relations exercise, regardless of whether he was trolling. If those Kotaku rumours are true, then, well:

l4ik.png

but lulz, vacuum cleaners

I'll only be getting a Playstation 4 if I magically get a job by the time it comes out.

The slide-show of destiny that they had two or so months ago was great and all(There was this one guy who I swore was only standing because of weed, caffiene and the internal sunshine of the magical PS4 and it's PC-like hardware).

I was very much considering the switch to Xbox for this console generation due to consumer preference here in Ireland(Basically, my friends are all Xbox and I feel left out), but I'm certainly not getting both and Sony is my ol' reliable.

A lot of my Xbox "fanboy" buddies(Or, since I'm in a Computer Science course, Microsoft) are even considering Sony now due to these rumours of blocking used games, 1 for 1 consoles and total connectivity.

Honestly, the major draw for the Ps4 for me is that downloadable cloud service they're apparently launching(If it's as good as I want it to be).

But, I think I'll avoid a "semi-Year One" buy until they fix the kinks.

Microsoft is getting so deep in their own bullshit they are going to need a freakin' kayak to be able to make it out of the shitstorm they've started with their customers with all of this.

I'm drawing real similiarties from all of their own puffed up pretences to the effect of "oooh if you don't have a highspeed connection you might as well not bother buying our product, or even living for that matter" or "you all need to move to suburban areas for your electronics to work properly" to all of Mitt Romney's statements about the "47% in this country" and blah blah blah...and you can only stick your foot in your mouth so many times before you set yourself up for an obvious failure. Always keep in mind who you are addressing when you make talk of your product and your desires to sell it. It's because of them that you have a job, not the other way around.

I was never completely happy with the reliability of the 4 Xbox 360's I had in 3 years, it sucked, for lack of a better word. I don't see myself ever buying one again ever again. I don't think any of xbox's exclusives are worth paying for a new console on the whim yours decides to bite the dust.

I dunno, I'm counting all negatives with their new one. I think the "always on" internet connection thing they are pushing so hard is another way they will try and invade our privacy, and everyone can "omg, get used to it" me all they want but how far are we going to let it go? Buying shit like this is like us saying it's totes okay, and I'll even pay you to do it! Not only that but it's taking away from the actual gaming capabilities of the console, which is why people buy a console... FOR GAMING :rolleyes: The only reason online should come into play is for the multiplayer option, to browse the internet, or for dlc or add-ons. I'd also assume it would have zero backwards capability and they will attempt to cater to the gaming industry's desires of lining their wishful astronomically huge wallets by not allowing for pre-owned games to be played.

In short, I look forward to watching this heinous piece of shite console burn in the wake of the ps4, along with the jobs of the pretentious self righteous prick executives they've chosen to employ.

Well there are now two reports of this always online nonsense and suddenly this twitter fiasco has been the icing on the cake. That mr. Orth is freaking disrespectful.

iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

I am not going assume anything about the system till they actually say something, you know how many rumors were flying around about the PS4 before it finally was announced and almost all of those were BS? Same thing for this, I wont expect anything till I hear about it, but really I am not going get a new console for a few years after a price drop or two, and I will probably lean towards the PS4 anyways.

I think the 'Always Online' Rumour will be true. When Sony confirmed their PS4 they also made sure to confirm and deny any rumours going around like the PS4 not allowing pre-owned games. That turned out to be false. The new Xbox has now been confirmed and instead of denying the always on thing their creative designer has gone onto twitter to tease everyone who isn't happy with it which to me proves that theres a very big chance that it's going to be true, otherwise why would he bother and why haven't they denied it yet?

I will not be getting the xbox. Mostly because I do not like any games on the ones before this new one but these rumours and that guys attitude hasn't done much to change my mind. I live in Australia where our internet is worse than a 3rd world countries. There's no way I wont be getting drop outs through games and getting booted from it before I've had a chance to save or whatever. It's such an unneeded hassle.

@Squid

And this is one of Microsoft's customer's response.

both of these posts pretty much summed up my feelings on this. My little brothers are xbox fanatics and it sucks knowing microsoft is just gonna do this to their fans/users. it's disrespectful. especially when we live in a rural area and have shit internet as is. why would i buy a system i know i wouldn't be capable of playing? sounds like terrible marketing to me. and if it's true (which, like toni said I think it is true) i won't be buying it but also it'll be major damage to their system sales.

I'd bloody give up on the 360 if only one broke down on me, let alone four of them. If after two for me isn't an alarm clock to stop opening my purse, I don't know what would be :wacky:

I fear that mandatory online requirements could be spun into something rather common by certain publishers like EA and Ubisoft next-gen. Though Sony is pretty much leaving it up to publishers to do what they want (as opposed to rumours of Microsoft having a blanket whole-system model), some of the publishers will fucking do it. Look at EA defending SimCity and spinning it so that the game needed it not so much because of online DRM, but because it's...an MMO.

At least with a potential online-to-fully-function Nextbox, it can be totally avoided. If a publisher decides that it's worth adopting an online-only model for games you're actually looking forward to, then it's tough shit. There are some murmurings going around that Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV could be online-only. An online-only Watch_Dogs sounds like delicious meta irony. Look forward to being a lot more selective about what you buy from now on...

I am not going assume anything about the system till they actually say something, you know how many rumors were flying around about the PS4 before it finally was announced and almost all of those were BS?
It's still poor PR for them, regardless. When you have idiots like that on staff that can go spouting off this and that without the rumor being confirmed by Microsoft you are gaining nothing from future customers other than hype and negativity. They should try and keep their cronies on a leash and if they can't manage to do that, then they can continue to take blows from the public, or do due dilligence and fire their smartasses who have nothing better to do than fuck with the public. If they were smart they would already be careful of what they say since at the moment, Sony is outselling them in consoles.

Stupid is as stupid does, though. They can take Windows 8 and their Nextbox and stick them where the sun doesn't shine, for all I care.

What? I bought mine second hand and it's been with me just over three years. :wacky:

You are lucky then, because I had my first for maybe a year before one of the cheaply made cooling fans went out and another year before the second one finally died and at that point you get maybe 5 minutes into a game before the screen freezes on you. So I buy a second one, that one doesn't have any audio and I exchange that one for another new one which didn't have any video, I FINALLY get one which I thought works, and it did until I started playing games that kept locking up on me so I was like WTF (at the time I wasn't a hardcore gamer and never was because I was in school and was working whenever I wasn't in school so I maybe played 8 or something hours a week) I looked at my NEW Lost Odyssey and the freaking thing was etching circular scratches on all of my game disks and I had my box right next to the wall and my dresser in my room so I never even touched it, it did that all on its own. At that point I was like f this, I'm buying a ps3.

Believe it :wacky:

Last edited:
Back