Your First RPG?

It was Pokémon Red, I think. I got FFVII right around that time, but I'm 90% sure I got FFVII first. I would have been 12 at the time. When I got the hang of the exp/levelling side of things it quickly became my favourite genre. I always liked the customization these games tend to offer. Pokémon was great because you could assemble a team from 151 different Pokémon, and you had to train and develop them.

First RPG game I had ever witnessed being played? Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

CHRONO-EFFING-CROSS.

My god, when I saw my cousin bring in his PS1 in a rush, I was probably around 3 or 4. He was really eager to show my dad, because at that time, my dad was a really big video game fanatic (still is, actually. He's going through the horror known as Final Hallway XIII-2.) and when my cousin showed off the game, he was in that port town. I really don't remember *much* of Chrono Cross, mostly because I have yet to really get into the game yet(despite knowing the entire story since I read up on it and listened to most of the OST, and played through Radiant Dreamers), but from what I remember and saw, the game was colorful and the music had a nice ring to it. It sparked interest in my dad and he went out and bought FF7, FF8, FF9, and so on. I plan on playing through it soon enough once I buy a memory stick for my PSP and get it from the PSN store. It's what led me into becoming a fan of Final Fantasy and many other RPGs I've come to know and love to this day.

But my REAL, HONEST TO GOD first RPG game, with the turn-based mechanics and such, was Paper Mario.

I remember seeing the commercial for that game, and instantly wanting it. I begged and begged, until my parents decided "Screw it, we're getting it for him! It's mario for christ sake!" We also picked up Mega Man 64 at that time, but I honestly didn't care much for it. Paper Mario had become my most favorite game at the time, and I spent countless hours on it. I've yet to finish it on my own, but the last place I was at on the game was in the Shy Guy's Toy Box (I think it's called that) right before the boss. I hated that guy.

Ugh. Lol. But yeah, Paper Mario errybody! :D

My first RPG was like...

*flashbacks from 10 years ago*

Uh...

Not sure if it was FFVII, or Dragon Warrior VII (which is now called Dragonquest today)

My First RPG Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars :mokken: I got it when it first came out for the SNES and it's what really got me into RPG's in the first place, And honestly it was one of the more unique RPG's I played when I was kid, the only other one I played back then was FF Mystic Quest and FF VI. And Draken :x I hated that game xD

Pokemon Gold, I got that game at like 6 or 7 years old maybe. I loved it because Pikachu followed me around and showed off his/her? emotions and I felt really immersed in that game. I remember walking around everywhere with my GameBoy Color and playing the hell out of that game. Ironically enough I never leveled up Pikachu much even though he/she was my starter. My Nideoqueen was like my unorthodox starter and just beat the crap out of everything. Good times. And then I lost it. Sadness. :(

My first RPG was Pokemon Blue. I could try and justify it and say that it was Final Fantasy VII, but I can't (because I wish it was...). My brothers didn't want their GBColor anymore and Pokemon Blue came along with it. I used to think video games only consisted of Pokemon, fighting and racing games because as a female, I wasn't associated with video games; as males, my brothers were, and those types of video games were all I saw them play. Then my brother suggested me buy FFVII because my sister allowed us to buy a game each because he knew I liked Pokemon and said that FFVII is just like it, except that you train characters/people. To think I almost passed it up...because I wouldn't believe him when he was saying how good it is because the covers looked boring to me. BOY, WAS I WRONG! Never judge a book by it's cover...that basically says that I am part of the FFVII wave. xD

I believe my first rpg was Star Ocean: The Second Story. Final Fantasy VII soon followed after that.

Had no desire to try those kinds of games until an old friend brought them over to my house one day. I couldn't put down the controller. I honestly thought VII was going to be a terrible game too; it's not nearly my favorite now but it was at the top then. I preferred rpgs after that, along with most games in third-person.

My first RPG?

I think it was Secret of Mana for the SNES...now that game was epic! And I'm still loving it these days with all next-gen consoles coming and all. From time to time I start up my Wii and play it for a bit...and finish it XD Have to say that it is one of my all time favourite RPG's.

My first Role Playing Game was Final Fantasy VII for the Playstation. I bought this game back in 1998 in a game store called Electronic Boutique. I was walking in the mall then I saw this game store and went in to take a look at the games. I started to look in a pile of games that was on sale when I suddenly saw this game with a thick cover. I had no idea what was a RPG game at that time because I never played one before.

So I grab the game and started to read the information on the back and I found it to be quite interesting. So I went to the counter and bought the game which it cost me $20 because it was on sale. I got home and started to play it for a few days and I fell in love with it. Today it is one of my top favorite Role Playing Game out there and my personal favorite game from the series. I had never felt so happy on buying a game that I never thought that I would turn out to be a great game. It was really worth the money!

SaGa II (otherwise known as Final Fantasy Legends II). I had no idea what the game was even called at the time, much less that it was an RPG. I really didn't even like it that much. It wasn't until I played the demo for ​Final Fantasy VII and got sucked into its cyberpunk setting and plot that RPGs stuck with me.

The earliest RPG I can remember was the first Baldur's Gate. I don't think I got very far, the last I remember was getting stuck at the Friendly Arm Inn due to being ambushed by a mage assassin guy.

The first I can remember playing that would follow traditional RPG style play was Shining Force CD on the Sega Mega CD. I do love the Shining Force Series but cannot get on board with what it eventually became, namely because I still have several to finish.

I would say it was pool of radiance on c64 in the 80s. But there were other rpgs on c64 like ultima series so i cannot say exactly now which was first. But i stucking to post it was pool of radiance.

Pool of Radiance is a role-playing video game developed and published by Strategic Simulations, Inc (SSI) in 1988. It was the first adaptation of TSR's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) fantasy role-playing game for home computers, becoming the first episode in a four-part series of D&D computer adventure games. The other games in the "Gold Box" series used the game engine pioneered in Pool of Radiance, as did later D&D titles such as the Neverwinter Nights online game. Pool of Radiance takes place in the Forgotten Realms fantasy setting, with the action centered in and around the port city of Phlan.

Pool of Radiance
A warrior with a sword stands in the foreground, with a fire-breathing dragon in the background
Cover art by Clyde Caldwell
Developer(s)Strategic Simulations
Marionette (NES)
Publisher(s)
Director(s)Chuck Kroegel
Designer(s)George MacDonald
Programmer(s)Keith Brors
Brad Myers
Artist(s)Tom Wahl
Fred Butts
Darla Marasco
Susan Halbleib
Composer(s)Wally Beben (Amiga)
David Warhol (C64)
Seiji Toda (NES/PC-9800)
Masayuki Kurinaga (PC98)
SeriesGold Box
Platform(s)Amiga, Apple II, Commodore 64, DOS, Macintosh, NES, PC-9800
ReleaseJune 1988:
1989:
Mac
1990: Amiga
April 1992: NES
Genre(s)Role-playing video game, Tactical RPG
Mode(s)Single-player
Just as in traditional D&D games, the player starts by building a party of up to six characters, deciding the race, gender, class, and ability scores for each. The player's party is enlisted to help the settled part of the city by clearing out the marauding inhabitants that have taken over the surroundings. The characters move on from one area to another, battling bands of enemies as they go and ultimately confronting the powerful leader of the evil forces. During play, the player characters gain experience points, which allow them to increase their capabilities. The game primarily uses a first-person perspective, with the screen divided into sections to display pertinent textual information. During combat sequences, the display switches to a top-down "video game isometric" view.

Generally well received by the gaming press, Pool of Radiance won the Origins Award for "Best Fantasy or Science Fiction Computer Game of 1988". Some reviewers criticized the game's similarities to other contemporary games and its slowness in places, but praised the game's graphics and its role-playing adventure and combat aspects. Also well-regarded was the ability to export player characters from Pool of Radiance to subsequent SSI games in the series.

And i played all upcoming in the forgotten realms series and dragonlance series. Ssi also brought in that time late 80s buck rogers the scifi rpg and a sequel to it. Lol i dont remember so much now,,, long agoo

Zelda: Link To The Past on SNES. Still one of my favorite games to this day. SOOOO GOOD!!!!

giphy.gif

I can never remember the answer to this question, it was either Pokemon Red, Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VII. I have distinct memories of playing each of these, but what time-frame is a bit foggy. I know my uncle really got my brother into playing video games, and then in turn my brother got me into video games, but I was really, really young, probably young enough to tend a bar but not old enough to fight in battle.

If I had to guess it was probably Pokemon Red first, but I have memories of my brother playing FFVII and us taking turns reading the dialog. Chrono Trigger was somewhere in the middle where I was probably also playing one of the other games along with it, but since Pokemon Red was specifically 'my' game vs 'ours' I guess I'll just start saying Pokemon Red from now on.

So... Pokemon Red. I still have the game, too! Probably one of the only small bits of my childhood that didn't get maliciously tossed in the garbage.

Hoshigami. A map based game. Characters get experience if they do action. They don't automatically get experience for the kill done by other party members.

There are 8 elements here. Fire, water, wind, lightning, earth, force, light and dark. Force is the only element that does not exist in other game. It's an explosion element. Each elements is governed by Deities and represents the weapons and stats.

Fire represents sword and power.
Water represents spear and luck.
Wind represents dagger and speed.
Lightning represents bow and balance. Lightning elemental characters tend to have balanced stats.
Unlike other games, earth does no represent vitality, Here earth represents ring (weapon used by mage) and magic.
It is force instead that represents axe and vitality.
Light elemental characters have better overall stats but tend to be higher in magic while dark elemental characters tend to have higher overall stats but tend to be higher in physical stats like attack and defense.

Players can change their characters elements in a tower. They also can level up their elements and get unique skills for certain levels.

This game made me like map based rpg game and made me to buy other similar rpg games like Tactic Ogre, Final Fantasy tactic and Suikoden Tactic.

Final Fantasy Tactic and Suikoden Tactic introduced me to FInal Fantasy and Suikoden series. Hoshigami is the start of my rpg journey and to me is still the best rpg game to date despite it's only playable in ps1.

It was final fantasy 7 for me, back when it was first released. I'd not played anything like it before, had no idea rpg's were a thing, so was completely blown away when someone passed me their control pad and said here try this game its amazing 🙈🙈🙈 and now im all the poorer for it because these damn games suck up all my money and my time hahaha. But yeah, it was ff7 for me :) i remember pecking my mums head to get me this game for xmas, i only got as far as the scorpion in the reactor but it was enough to leave its mark on me!

My first RPG was Kingdom Hearts for action style gameplay and for turn based it was Final Fantasy X (saw the characters in KH so I migrated). I still remember the TV spot for KH back when I was a kid (about 8 or 9), it was so dramatic and cool: "Are you strong enough to raise the Keyblade?" (rough translation). I was instantly hooked and begged my parents to get it for our spanking new PS2. My first time experiencing the game and discovering all the mechanics and worlds is still one of my fondest childhood memories.

If KH sparked my interest in RPGs, then FFX helped solidify it. Such a fun and easy to pick up system was perfect for a young newcomer to the genre like me. I also found the cast likable and the world of Spira very engaging. FFX was also the game that introduced me to the novel concept that characters in games can die. (My previous games were Super Mario and Donkey Kong so it was quite shocking.)

I want to say Pokémon Yellow, but I feel as though there is one that I'm forgetting. Oh well. In any case, even though Pokémon is now pretty far down on my list of favorite franchises, if it weren't for its influence on me from an early age, I mightn't have such a fierce love for classic JRPG's as I do today. It's difficult to put into words why I think this game works so well in spite of all its flaws and why I feel that its successors have simply not lived up to it, but the first and second generations (and to some extent the fifth) will always have a special place in my heart.

Back