Suggestion Box

Exoskeleton

Pale Flesh
Veteran
Gil
This is a thread where any member of our RP community can suggest ideas and improvements pertaining to the RPC section. Please keep in mind that not every idea will be put into motion. However these ideas and suggestions can be posted, discussed, and reviewed(by moderators) here.

What's the current RPer list at? If we're seriously lacking members, maybe we should start spa- recruiting members from other sites that we know like to RP?

I welcome recruiting anyone you know to join our community. We don't have the larger members we once had. There are currently only 4 RPs running at the time with only 9 active RPers including us Mods. That's a really good idea. It'll really help us out! ^_^

Addition: Sub-forum for Quick Action RPs.

The forum I learned to RP at originally had no in depth plot driven or character driven RPs. Someone would make an RP, and anyone could jump in at any time. It was an easy way to meet new people/friends and establish a better creative writing ethic. Some RPs here tend to have invites only, or really specific character bios that require a lot of thought and effort and diligency. But sometimes you just want a lazy but easy RP. Y'know, those that start off in a tavern, or you're in a forest and a monster comes trampling through. I think a sub-forum like that for Quick Easy RPs would be fun and encouraging for people who don't feel like using all of their brain.

Hmm, it's a start, at least to help increase the confidence of people who are especially not confident in their creative writing skills, or as you said, are quite lazy and need a quick-fast RP to relieve stress. I am in support because I've actually did quite a number of those kind of RP's myself.

I am also in support of recruiting people you know into RP'ing for us if you like. Just don't go overboard, because I don't know how people feel about advertising us on the other site.

Also, have you peeked into The Retreat? I think that's the type of RPs you're talking about? I was going to propose a new subforum somewhat like this(with more thread locations n such) sometime down the road. I think it's preferable for us to get few smaller goals set up before we get a new subforum.

1. Mentoring:

Perhaps a mentor-type introduction could be of use? On another forum I used to frequent, groups of members would have a mentor who'd answer their queries, assist with bio creation and generally help the new-comers enter in a friendly atmosphere. It could help create a lasting roleplay pool? I know from personal experience: If the existing members are elitist in outlook, it drives potential recruits away.

As for mentors, I was thinking maybe retired RP'ers could help out- like Exo already mentioned, there are only 9 or so active rp'ers around.Though, I certainly wouldn't mind helping out in that aspect.

2. Tournaments/Rewards:

Since I've never actually entered in a RPF/B tournament on this site, I'm not quite sure of the reward system but I was thinking that perhaps something like- say - a signature and avatar set (or Gil prize) could be given to a winner, with runner ups also receiving some sort of rewarding? I was thinking the signatures since the GFX section always seems to have a buzz going, maybe a tie-in with those clans could be negotiated? ^.^'

(Obviously, this idea won't matter if a reward scheme is already in effect)

3. Alerts/bumps on replies:

To be honest, I thought about my own habits with this idea:lew:

Anyway, as we all have seen, many roleplayers generally talk big at the start ("Oh wow, this RP is so interesting, I'll join"), they sign up with a character and hell, might even post a couple of times. Then, the euphoria of something new wears off. They churn out replies like a completed baked Sloth(Too much wacky tobacky, of course) and usually, they contribute very little. What I purpose is a bump or alert PM that is scheduled for a number of days without replies. The member is notified by the pm, then if they don't comply they get bumped from the RP?

Obviously, this would ideally take notified absences into account.

That's it for now. Sorry if my suggestions seem a bit manhandling and I'm a pauper trying to play a prince. :lew:

1. Mentoring:

Perhaps a mentor-type introduction could be of use? On another forum I used to frequent, groups of members would have a mentor who'd answer their queries, assist with bio creation and generally help the new-comers enter in a friendly atmosphere. It could help create a lasting roleplay pool? I know from personal experience: If the existing members are elitist in outlook, it drives potential recruits away.

As for mentors, I was thinking maybe retired RP'ers could help out- like Exo already mentioned, there are only 9 or so active rp'ers around.Though, I certainly wouldn't mind helping out in that aspect.
Yes. There are a few threads in RP101 proposing this very idea. I'm not exactly sure with how to go about this, but rest assured me and Noblesse Oblige will definitely discuss this. There are so many things to be done with the section. Hopefully this idea can become a reality asap. When it does it will certainly be announced in the Bulletin Board. ^_^

2. Tournaments/Rewards:

Since I've never actually entered in a RPF/B tournament on this site, I'm not quite sure of the reward system but I was thinking that perhaps something like- say - a signature and avatar set (or Gil prize) could be given to a winner, with runner ups also receiving some sort of rewarding? I was thinking the signatures since the GFX section always seems to have a buzz going, maybe a tie-in with those clans could be negotiated? ^.^'

(Obviously, this idea won't matter if a reward scheme is already in effect)
Yes this idea is already on our to do list. ^_^ We've discussed signature awards and I personally have been thinking about gil prizes to give away. Such a fantastic idea! And luckily both mods dabble in the GFX pool for this to become reality.

3. Alerts/bumps on replies:

To be honest, I thought about my own habits with this idea:lew:

Anyway, as we all have seen, many roleplayers generally talk big at the start ("Oh wow, this RP is so interesting, I'll join"), they sign up with a character and hell, might even post a couple of times. Then, the euphoria of something new wears off. They churn out replies like a completed baked Sloth(Too much wacky tobacky, of course) and usually, they contribute very little. What I purpose is a bump or alert PM that is scheduled for a number of days without replies. The member is notified by the pm, then if they don't comply they get bumped from the RP?

Obviously, this would ideally take notified absences into account.
While this is a good idea, I'm not sure if we can make it happen exactly as you've said. We understand this and I personally would find it a relief. We will have to discuss this for a period of time before a final verdict can be issued.

That's it for now. Sorry if my suggestions seem a bit manhandling and I'm a pauper trying to play a prince. :lew:
Naw we'll take any suggestions you got. ^_^ Feel free to post here if you come up with any more amazing ideas! :)

Also, have you peeked into The Retreat? I think that's the type of RPs you're talking about? I was going to propose a new subforum somewhat like this(with more thread locations n such) sometime down the road. I think it's preferable for us to get few smaller goals set up before we get a new subforum.

I suppose that's kind of what I mean, but it's not restrictive to the one thread. If you had an entire sub forum dedicated to it, you could have all sorts of new RPers come in with their first threads and subsequently join others' threads. There are SO many different locations and ideas that you can form a basic RP around without it needing to be hugely plot or character driven.

It'll give both newbies and oldies a place to form together and oldies could psuedo-mentor in these intro RPs by gently nudging them and giving them pointers without it being too jarring or too distracting if it happened in a different plot driven RP where people sometimes get neurotic over. Y'know?

I'm not sure if this is a proper suggestion or should even go here but I think some of the older RPers on this site are a little harsh to newer members trying to join in on RPs. I think newer members would feel better about learning and joining in and improving on their writing skills if older members are more accepting of their character profiles and stuff. Obviously if their profile is littered with spelling mistakes and the like then you can tell them to edit it but I've seen some people make new people edit their profile about 4 or 5 times and then not even bother accepting it which I think is a little harsh :(

So I guess an improvement for me would be that some people could be a little more tolerant, afterall the more practice a new person gets at RPing the better they'll get.

This is what I suggested a while back. :lew: But yeah, I noticed a lot of veteran RP'ers tend not to associate themselves much with new RP'ers. I can definitely see how this would be off putting for people who want to get in on the game. I think a more friendly and welcoming environment is in order. Whether this be giving feedback on character profiles, or maybe finding some new ways of promoting new RP's. In the whole promoting new RP's aspect, 'The Roleplayer' blog is a fantastic idea.

Also, another matter with new RP's. Now, this is one thing that I find EXTREMELY irritating... People start up a new RP. People take the time and effort to write up a character and go through the whole signing process, and then nothing comes of it. I think that when people set up a new RP thread, they should have a set deadline to get the ball rolling with it before the thread should go under moderator review. Then the moderator should discuss the thread with the person who started it, try and find out what the deal is and also take into consideration what interest there actually is in the RP before deciding whether or not there can be an extension or not.

We've been discussing the whole RP mentoring thing. The only thing is, neither of us Mods have the time to consistently mentor new RPers and it would be hard to find responsible volunteers who can and will help out in this process. The RP101 section is still having it's section rules drawn up so we're still trying to make sense of what's going to happen with that area atm. All mentoring threads can be set up there. :hmmm:

As for the whole community being nicer, it really depends on the people who RP here. To be honest I've met some really nasty people who have come and gone from the RP community here and I've met some really nice Rpers who are still here to this day. I think this section is on the way to becoming a non-judgmental place where any and all RPers can come but to put it bluntly there's nothing anyone can really do to change people's attitudes and views. That's up to the troubled persons to change for the better. So all we can do is be kind to one another and set a positive example. ^_^

And Paddy I totally agree with you on how frustrating it is to sign up for an RP only to have nothing come of it(It's happened so many times). Maybe the moderator review idea can work out after a while. Ultimately though there are a lot of people who start RPs with the intention to finish but life unexpectedly gets in the way so in some cases this cannot be helped. If we did get involved it would be limiting the flexibility and freedom of the RP master and add unnecessary pressure. :hmmm: This issue will be taken into consideration.

Well that's why I suggested the thread going into review as opposed to just being closed. :monster: That way Kev and yourself can have a chat with the person who started it, find out what's going on and trying to come to a sollution. Needless to say, closing the thread would be the final option.

And with the whole mentoring thing. I don't mind being one myself if there are enough people here wanting to get into this. :D

Maybe have a section for mini RPs. These will be short adventures that have very simple plots. A good place for beginning rpers to learn as well as give more casual rpers a place to play. It could have weekly scenarios that can be played out by small groups. This will help with mentoring as well.

also maybe a "heroes for hire" section where a list of pre made character bios is available for people who have little experience with or don't have time to make bios.

I like the 'Heroes for Hire' idea. :monster:

Also...

@Exoskeleton Noblesse Oblige

What's going on with the Hall of Heroes? I mean; what's the protocol for getting characters approved for RPB's, etc.? :hmmm:

Maybe have a section for mini RPs. These will be short adventures that have very simple plots. A good place for beginning rpers to learn as well as give more casual rpers a place to play. It could have weekly scenarios that can be played out by small groups. This will help with mentoring as well.

We're already thinking of adding a one shot RP section. But we wish to build up our community first. ^_^

also maybe a "heroes for hire" section where a list of pre made character bios is available for people who have little experience with or don't have time to make bios.
An interesting idea. I believe there's already a similar thread like this for NPCs. It could possibly be changed to include just stock RP characters. :hmmm: Expect results of this within the month.

What's going on with the Hall of Heroes? I mean; what's the protocol for getting characters approved for RPB's, etc.? :hmmm:

We're still trying to figure that out. As I've said countless times before, the section's fate is currently being discussed. Until we decide what exactly to do with it, Approval for one on one RPBs will be at a halt. As for RPB tournaments held by the forum, those bios will be posted and evaluated(by us moddy mods) in the tournament entry thread which will be set up in the Heroes Coliseum. ^_^

Luckily the discussion of what will happen to The Heroes section will come to a close shortly. I'll personally see what we can get done asap. :)

Awesome. I would hate for us to lose the RPB forums, as I find RPB's to be really fun. :monster:

I don't suppose, if either of you get the time, you would mind to give some of my characters a quick read through and give some critique? Particularly the last two that I've posted, as all the others are a few years old. :lew: All my older ones have been perfectly reasonable on much of the other RP forums I've frequented in the past, but I just want to make sure they're not too overpowered, etc.

Back