Vitamins and other Meds

Kandy-Sugar

ღWhite Roséღ ♀
Veteran
Gil
So are you one of those people who's right into their Vitamins and/or other medications?

I go through phases.

Seeing as I work at a Pharmacy we are constantly reviewing different Vitamins and medications and we get a lot of free samples and then you end up buying more because you think you need it etc etc etc.

I have heaps of Red Krill Oil and I usually take L-Lysine vitamins for my mouth ulcers.

I have other various Vitamins such as Vitamin B for Stress and Magnesium etc but I don't always take them. I get lazy and forget and then one day I'll start taking them religiously again.

Anyone else here right into this sort of thing? Or go through phases of taking them like me?

i went through a phase of taking cod liver oil because i have bad joints :wacky: it worked quite well, but when i moved out i couldn't afford to anymore so i don't bother now.
i buy those pro-biotic yoghurt drinks and have one of those daily. i used to get a sharpness in my chest fairly often, but since i started having those it seems to have stopped. :hmmm:

I'm on and off with my Claritin (spelling?). I mostly take them during the up coming months. March-July. During winter, there's no leaves (spelling?) to spread pollen. So there's that.

My vitamins depend on whether or not my Dad wants to be cheap. There was a period of like, 5 years, where I didn't have one vitamin. We've only recently started up again.

I don't take vitamins because they are expensive and I kinda feel that it's better to get your vitamins naturally from food. :hmmm: I enjoy eating a healthy balanced diet, I have home-cooked food 95% of the time and I don't get ill often, so I've never felt a dire need to take vitamins. Although I am a pescatarian, I have been told my iron levels are fine, and I do eat venison (wild deer) every now and again, which has iron in! :)

A good diet beats all the pills you can take, except the meds you need for your medical condiion, if you have one.

One time I went on this diet, with a friend. It was not to loose weight. Just to stay healthy. They took vitamins. I did not. Another friend had a crappy diet and took vitamins. A bad bug came out. The guy, who just took vitamins got sick, while the friend and I, who changed our diet did not.

I never take vitamins, 'cause I was never raised on them and don't feel the need to do so now. Could try them sometime I suppose, but I'm not ill all that often. Hell, I eat complete crap most of the time too, and I'm not ill. Who knows.

I also never take meds when I do occasionally get ill. They'd help I'm sure, but there's something about medication that puts me off. The addiction? The bad taste that usually comes with them? Sometimes the fact that you have to go to the doctors and get a prescription to get them, which you don't want to be doing in my area considering everyone who coughs goes there and you have to wait days in order to be seen.

Meds are all such a big fuss, when normally the sickness isn't that bad and will go away after a few days (I'm speaking about colds/flus/vomiting, not bleeding to death, naturally). Then there's the whole "Can I drink alcohol with this?", "Do I need to avoid mixing certain tablets?", "Do I need to avoid certain food groups?" etc.

~ Just go with the flow :lew: ~​

A good diet mainly builds your immunity so you don't get the colds floating around all over the place. Seems the best things are green veggies, loaded with protien and stuff like vitamin C. Orange Juice is good as well. Your system just obsorbed the vitamins and minerals from food more efficiently than it does from vitamin pills. I read after the incident I mentioned. I went 3 years without getting sick, on that diet. But met my wife and she wasn't much for health stuff. So reverted back to a not so perfect diet.

I've always taken vitamins. I've never had much of an appetite so it's impossible for me to eat what I should every day to get all of the vitamins and nutrients I need. I take calcium x2 a day because I already know I'm deficient (I've had a dexa scan already) even though I eat yogurt, cheese and milk everyday. I take a woman's multivitamin daily because we really don't eat a ton of red meat here or dark leafy veggies so I know I don't really get the iron that I'd typically need. Other than that I really don't take any other vitamins. The body can only absorb so much of them anyways, and of course eating food that contains them I'm sure they are more readily absorbed.

The vitamin industry has grown leaps and bounds though...it's not really monitored by the FDA so you could literally take just about anything...for just about anything :wacky: I'm sure some health nuts can easily get swept up in a lot of it. I dunno. If you know you are deficient in something and you can't possibly fix it by dietary means then taking vitamins and supplements makes sense...but know that you are first before you go exploring the vitamin aisle because it piques your interest. There might be certain interactions between something you are already taking, and just like anything else too much of a good thing isn't always good for you either.

My old man used to a health nut when his liver started going out and his knees and joints we failing him. :lew:

He'd order a bunch of different vitamins and meds to keep him "from dying at an early age." Yet he still smokes and drinks. XD Not helping yourself too much old man now are you? :wacky:

I love multivitamins and Fish oil for my skin.

I'm really off and on when it comes to vitamins. I try everyday to chew a vitamin C pill thingy everyday, but it never winds up happening. It always works out to me just going insane on Vitamin C whenever I get the slightest inkling that I'm getting an illness.
If you've never drank Emergen-C(atleast that's what it's called in my area), I highly recommend it. Stuff is absolutely delicious and it works like a beast if you're ever feeling ill.

Back