Tech Hacking Pacemakers

Quite. It really just displays how much our society is beginning to rely on machines... And how much damage Cyber-terrorism could potentially do in the next 10-20 years.

Sure,we aren't in caves of steel yet... But we will be.

Why I spent 3 weeks on telemetry to adjust afib meds instead of getting a pace maker. Well they are dangerous even without a hacker being involved.

But the trouble with these tech guys messing with possible threats, they could give a hacker ideas as well.

I know this is an old topic but let's think about this for a second..

Hacking a PACEMAKER.

PACEMAKER.

PACEMAKER.

Hackers have a lot more decency than that. C'mon, a freaking pacemaker?

But the trouble with these tech guys messing with possible threats, they could give a hacker ideas as well.

This is true, but on the other hand it raises awareness about it at the same time. I think it's more a case of if those guys are able to hack all this, then so can others, so they raise awareness of it. That chap's job is in computer security, so it's probably part of his job to find ways of defending against such attacks. :hmmm:

It's things like this that make me glad I'm kinda old-fashioned when it comes to technology. I don't have a smartphone, I don't do internet banking, I have very little personal details up on the internet. Sure, all this doesn't make me perfectly safe, but it's a damn sight better than leaving myself even more vulnerable. The only wireless internet I have is for my laptop, and I don't use that anywhere other than in my own home.

So many people take all this technology for granted, but then when they find themselves fall for some scam, or paint a massive fucking target on their head for this sort of thing, I have to say they deserve it.

Don't be so careless, and don't rely so much on technology.

I'd be a fucking beast should technology fail and we go back into the stone age. :mokken:

Hackers have a lot more decency than that. C'mon, a freaking pacemaker?

Are you serious, sure "FEW" Hackers are working for the common good, but a large majority of Hackers in general are quite bad and the way people do things for attention now I wouldn't be surprised if this happened sometime down the line.

I always knew the more advanced our tech gets the higher risk we put ourselves into, I'd be more worried when they make auto pilots for cars/trains/etc. since that would be a massive chance for some hacker group to show off.

Regardless Everything can get hacked atm it just takes someone to attempt it and a way to get their code into the machine, I've heard of one incident of a guy going into a hospital and sabotaging vital machines like defibulators, Heart Monitors, and a machine that displays the amount of sugar in your blood(it affected people with Diabities)

~_~ makes me wonder if we're better off without tech sometimes

The ability to hack someone's pacemaker or whatever, would be a perfect way to manipulate someone. :hmmm: I can actually imagine a film about that being released sometime in the future in which some person is driven to rob and/or murder on the basis that if they don't, their pacemaker would be de-activated, or triggered off in such a way that could kill them. I don't think it would be a very good film, but you never know. :mokken:

One of the things that worries me most about all this advancement in technology is the decreasing need for human employees. In shops you already have these self-service check outs, which mostly eliminates the need to hire people to work behind the tills. I bet they can be hacked and all. The amount of people who use their cards to pay at those things is ridiculous.

I think we really need to halt technological advancement and start rolling back on our progress. We need to stop having automated devices and have humans (who we know are completely infallible) do everything manually again. It is not like every new technology has inherent problems that we need to fix as we go, and that regardless of what you do if someone wishes to do bad things they'll find a way. Thankfully we don't live in a world like this!

SOURCE: I have studied a lot of RAMs

Are you serious, sure "FEW" Hackers are working for the common good, but a large majority of Hackers in general are quite bad and the way people do things for attention now I wouldn't be surprised if this happened sometime down the line.

I always knew the more advanced our tech gets the higher risk we put ourselves into, I'd be more worried when they make auto pilots for cars/trains/etc. since that would be a massive chance for some hacker group to show off.

Regardless Everything can get hacked atm it just takes someone to attempt it and a way to get their code into the machine, I've heard of one incident of a guy going into a hospital and sabotaging vital machines like defibulators, Heart Monitors, and a machine that displays the amount of sugar in your blood(it affected people with Diabities)

~_~ makes me wonder if we're better off without tech sometimes

Right. How silly of me to step out of my cynical bubble, knowing full well not to put anything past people in this world.

I truly fear for the future when I'm getting up there in age and my kids have kids of their own. This is childs play compared to what the possibilities will be in 45-50 years and that truly scares the living shit out of me.

I remember watching a story involving a neighbor hacking into a baby monitor. I don't remember how they were caught.

I fear for humanity and the technology that comes with it sometimes. I'm sensing cyber-terrorism, and/or some Terminator shit. Seriously.

Back