I like XIII... And am excited for the next FF installment.

Addicted2INK
I understand what you are saying, there are faults in this game, but overall you did like it just like me, but trust me right now, the more you defend it the more these guys will just bash on you. You could come up with 1000 things that you found good about it, they will attack everyone of those. So really hate to say it, but you are in a losing battle here.

A reason isn't an excuse its a reason. You just used forgiveness, reason, and excuse interchangably in the same statement. Those 3 words all have their own meaning. So I think you need to use words properly. I used one of them, reason. And if your assuming what I meant with the first thread to the point of putting words like excuse in my mouth that is you being a troll.

And I don't know what you mean "I heard somthing?" I don't have to know about making video games. (I don't know what else you could possibly mean I heard about) Making anything with new hardware, software, or any tool with higher capabilities it can be very easy to get caught up in those newer capabilities. Shit they used 3 discs on a 360. That obviously shows they were trying to push the limit of the capabilities of the new machines. You are ranting about nothing I said. I never said the gameplay issues came from difficulties of a new system you are putting words in my mouth again.

And how you can call the developers ignorant and incopetent because they made mistakes and over looked things in a game is crazy.

You are just a troll who will complain about anything and try to talk shit about anything someone has to say. You jump in talking shit about me liking a game and offering MY point of view about its benefits and downfalls. Done with me, ha ha. Is that supposed to hurt my feelings?

Thanks for the look out Shace. But I can't lose a battle that's my own opinion. I get what you are saying though. There will always be people who try to rain on other people's parades, and debate about anything that's just that nature of the net. Plus misery loves company.

The point of this debate is alright and somewhat on-topic, however, I would appreciate if you guys use a more polite tone in addressing each other. Thank you!
Please do not reply to this post. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me. Any more posts that can possibly offend the other poster (whether intentional or not) will be deleted. You can continue to debate, but in a friendly manner whenever possible.

A reason isn't an excuse its a reason. You just used forgiveness, reason, and excuse interchangably in the same statement. Those 3 words all have their own meaning. So I think you need to use words properly. I used one of them, reason. And if your assuming what I meant with the first thread to the point of putting words like excuse in my mouth that is you being a troll.

And I don't know what you mean "I heard somthing?" I don't have to know about making video games. (I don't know what else you could possibly mean I heard about) Making anything with new hardware, software, or any tool with higher capabilities it can be very easy to get caught up in those newer capabilities. Shit they used 3 discs on a 360. That obviously shows they were trying to push the limit of the capabilities of the new machines. You are ranting about nothing I said. I never said the gameplay issues came from difficulties of a new system you are putting words in my mouth again.

The game play itself isn't awesome, but it is also their first installment on the Next-Gen systems.

excuse: To explain (a fault or an offense) in the hope of being forgiven or understood.

Verb: Attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

Noun:A reason or explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense

If that’s not what you were trying to do with that sentence then by all means do elaborate on what else that could actually mean.

And how you can call the developers ignorant and incopetent because they made mistakes and over looked things in a game is crazy.

Toriyama said: "But we've got a story to tell, and it's important the player can engage with the characters and the world they inhabit before letting them loose..."

If you look at most Western RPGs, they just dump you in a big open world, and let you do whatever you like... [It] becomes very difficult to tell a compelling story when you're given that much freedom." (elsewhere he’s quoted as saying you can’t tell a focused story if you give much freedom to the player…)

Kitase has said that to make 13 he looked on FPS games for inspiration.

1. Many story-driven games with far superior stories and characters to 13 are far less linear than that or not linear at all and the story does not have any less of a focus than 13. One does not have to look far away from the series either to find such games.
  2. Toriyama says it’s important the player can engage with the world. How the hell does he expect to do that when the world that’s offered has to be rushed through and there’s no interaction with anything? How is the player supposed to get attached to such a world?
  3. Kitase was inspired from FPS games (Toriyama also said that too) yet there’s none of the qualities of an FPS game in there.

Thus the ignorance. Thus the incompetence. And these are only some of the reasons. There are others like one of these two or some other member of the development team stepping forward and saying there was no communication between the teams and of course every design choice the player can see with their own eyes inside the game is also a reason to say such a thing with a perfectly straight face.

What’s really crazy is how this guy actually helped with 7, 10 and worked as the sole director of 10-2 which was an enjoyable game. Or Kitase who was present in most of ff’s golden era. It’s like they both threw out of the window everything good these games could have taught them.

just freakin do what i did: play FF13 till you hit eden, get owned because you didn't power level on pulse, get pissed, watch chapters 12-13 in youtube. play the bloody hell out of 13-2, get pissed at the cannon endgame.

now im just waiting for LR:FF13. mostly because i've played all the ff's. partly because the left me with a cliffhanger. and i hate cliffhangers

I'm the sme way when it comes to this game and the series. I feel that sure it's not as fun, interesting, or Final Fantasy feeling as the older ones on the series, but i still enjoyed going through the game and understanding the story in the end.

I just feel that ever since SquareSoft split into Square-Enix, we are going to see games that won't be anything like FFX and before. Each game is going to be something completely new taht we have not seen before. We won't sit there and think "Ah crap, this is exactly like FFVIII's story, why don't they do something new?" We as older FF gamers all compare these new games to the old ones. But if we look at the new generation of gamers who have only played FFX-FFXIII or even started at FFXII and played but the newer ones, they probably don't comparfe the generations and are in love with the most recent games put out by Squenix.

I've been a fan of Final Fantasy since the 1987 original, and I believe that fans who have played most or all of the main titles can argue that ANY game in the series is either the best or worst, depending on personal preferences and what constitutes a good game to them individually. That being said, I spent years bashing XIII based on my first 10 hours of gameplay (where I stopped because I never expected the game to expand significantly), yet after I played it fully and went through XIII-2, it now stands as one of my all-time favorites. I love Lightning, and the Paradigm system is ingenious in its strategic focus. I also enjoyed X-2 quite a bit, so LRXIII has me very excited with its blend of mechanics from XIII and X sub-series.

Actually, now that Square has rebranded LR with Lightning getting top billing, I would like to see a Lightning sub-series continue, if not on consoles then certainly as a Crisis Core / Type-0 styled Vita entry or two. Here's a quick premise behind my concept for Lightning Strikes: Final Fantasy XIII-Zero:

"When a PSICOM scientist takes an unsanctioned expedition to Pulse and returns as a l'Cie bent on destroying Cocoon, it falls to the Guardian Corps to defend the populace against his army of biomechanical terrors. As the Bodhum Security Regiment's newest recruit, Lightning rushes into battle anxious to prove herself, but after the Sanctum itself gets involved, Lightning becomes embroiled in a conflict that could change Cocoon forever."

In a mix of gameplay elements from XIII and LR, Lightning would be able to switch between 7 Tactics, including the 6 original roles and an additional Guardian type that can be mapped with any abilities from the other 6's Skill Grids. Once again, she would act on her own, with occasional AI assistance from GC members Amodar, Biggs, Wedge, and an obligatory 2nd female GC. But instead of schemas, LSXIII would feature customization of Weapon, Shirt, Jacket, Gloves, Leggings, Boots, Undergarb, and an Accessory, each having their own enhancements and level to be upgraded. These equipment pieces would take and show damage in battle, and if destroyed (all except Undergarb, of course), Lightning would lose the connected enhancement until a GC Quartermaster repaired her gear.

There would be story missions, which would gradually serve to open new areas on an open-world map (not quite as expansive as LR, mind you, but more like an interlinked MonHun game), and other optional missions from GC-BSR Headquarters could be accepted at any time to keep players visiting all of the unlocked locales.

Also, there would be no stupid slot machine in the top-left corner... Just sayin'.

<CHARACTERS>
Lightning
Serah Farron
Snow Villiers
Lebreau
Gadot
Maqui
Yuj
(Commander GC)
Amodar
Biggs
Wedge
(Female GC)
(Quartermaster GC)
Rygdea
Cid Raines
Yaag Rosch
Jihl Nabaat
Galenth Dysley
(Terrorist l'Cie) Doctor Gapra
(Terrorist Male)
(Terrorist Female)
Dahaka

<EQUIPMENT>
Weapon
Shirt
Jacket
Gloves
Leggings
Boots
Undergarb
Accessory

* Equipment shows damage.
* If destroyed, effects are lost.
* Quartermaster can repair gear.

<TACTICS>
Guardian (Hybrid w/ All Abilities)
Commando (Physical Offense)
Ravager (Magical Offense)
Sentinel (Physical Defense)
Medic (Magical Defense)
Saboteur (Status Offense)
Synergist (Status Defense)

* Skill Grids track GC progress.
* Rank Qualifiers unlock Trials.
* Completing Trials earns Rank.

<LOCALES>
GC-BSR Headquarters
Bodhum
Gapra Whitewood
Palumpolum
Eden
Nautilus
Sunleth Waterscape
Lindblum
Bifrost Forest
Euride Gorge
Hanging Edge
Lake Bresha
Vile Peaks

A prequel like this would allow SE to clarify events and expand on characters' backstory leading up to XIII, including Snow, Serah, NORA, Raines, Rygdea, Nabaat, Rosch, Amodar, etc. Mission locales could include Bodhum, Gapra Whitewood, Sunleth Waterscape, the Vile Peaks, and all the rest, since Hope even questions Light about her previous missions in these places. Besides, it would add to XIII's impact if we saw how Lightning has had to cut down other l'Cie before becoming one, and it would demonstrate why she doesn't want to believe Serah in the first place.

Who's with me?

I've been a fan of Final Fantasy since the 1987 original, and I believe that fans who have played most or all of the main titles can argue that ANY game in the series is either the best or worst, depending on personal preferences and what constitutes a good game to them individually. That being said, I spent years bashing XIII based on my first 10 hours of gameplay (where I stopped because I never expected the game to expand significantly), yet after I played it fully and went through XIII-2, it now stands as one of my all-time favorites. I love Lightning, and the Paradigm system is ingenious in its strategic focus. I also enjoyed X-2 quite a bit, so LRXIII has me very excited with its blend of mechanics from XIII and X sub-series.

Actually, now that Square has rebranded LR with Lightning getting top billing, I would like to see a Lightning sub-series continue, if not on consoles then certainly as a Crisis Core / Type-0 styled Vita entry or two. Here's a quick premise behind my concept for Lightning Strikes: Final Fantasy XIII-Zero:

"When a PSICOM scientist takes an unsanctioned expedition to Pulse and returns as a l'Cie bent on destroying Cocoon, it falls to the Guardian Corps to defend the populace against his army of biomechanical terrors. As the Bodhum Security Regiment's newest recruit, Lightning rushes into battle anxious to prove herself, but after the Sanctum itself gets involved, Lightning becomes embroiled in a conflict that could change Cocoon forever."

In a mix of gameplay elements from XIII and LR, Lightning would be able to switch between 7 Tactics, including the 6 original roles and an additional Guardian type that can be mapped with any abilities from the other 6's Skill Grids. Once again, she would act on her own, with occasional AI assistance from GC members Amodar, Biggs, Wedge, and an obligatory 2nd female GC. But instead of schemas, LSXIII would feature customization of Weapon, Shirt, Jacket, Gloves, Leggings, Boots, Undergarb, and an Accessory, each having their own enhancements and level to be upgraded. These equipment pieces would take and show damage in battle, and if destroyed (all except Undergarb, of course), Lightning would lose the connected enhancement until a GC Quartermaster repaired her gear.

There would be story missions, which would gradually serve to open new areas on an open-world map (not quite as expansive as LR, mind you, but more like an interlinked MonHun game), and other optional missions from GC-BSR Headquarters could be accepted at any time to keep players visiting all of the unlocked locales.

Also, there would be no stupid slot machine in the top-left corner... Just sayin'.

<CHARACTERS>
Lightning
Serah Farron
Snow Villiers
Lebreau
Gadot
Maqui
Yuj
(Commander GC)
Amodar
Biggs
Wedge
(Female GC)
(Quartermaster GC)
Rygdea
Cid Raines
Yaag Rosch
Jihl Nabaat
Galenth Dysley
(Terrorist l'Cie) Doctor Gapra
(Terrorist Male)
(Terrorist Female)
Dahaka

<EQUIPMENT>
Weapon
Shirt
Jacket
Gloves
Leggings
Boots
Undergarb
Accessory

* Equipment shows damage.
* If destroyed, effects are lost.
* Quartermaster can repair gear.

<TACTICS>
Guardian (Hybrid w/ All Abilities)
Commando (Physical Offense)
Ravager (Magical Offense)
Sentinel (Physical Defense)
Medic (Magical Defense)
Saboteur (Status Offense)
Synergist (Status Defense)

* Skill Grids track GC progress.
* Rank Qualifiers unlock Trials.
* Completing Trials earns Rank.

<LOCALES>
GC-BSR Headquarters
Bodhum
Gapra Whitewood
Palumpolum
Eden
Nautilus
Sunleth Waterscape
Lindblum
Bifrost Forest
Euride Gorge
Hanging Edge
Lake Bresha
Vile Peaks

A prequel like this would allow SE to clarify events and expand on characters' backstory leading up to XIII, including Snow, Serah, NORA, Raines, Rygdea, Nabaat, Rosch, Amodar, etc. Mission locales could include Bodhum, Gapra Whitewood, Sunleth Waterscape, the Vile Peaks, and all the rest, since Hope even questions Light about her previous missions in these places. Besides, it would add to XIII's impact if we saw how Lightning has had to cut down other l'Cie before becoming one, and it would demonstrate why she doesn't want to believe Serah in the first place.

Who's with me?

this is what XIII leads to. either A) hate from people who have high standards for a series such as Final Fantasy or B) over fandom and dumbing it down even further. (it's kind of like how people who liked "pacific rim" but only thing they talked about was 1 character who barely did anything amazing or interesting and what their favorite kaiju was or that they wish they had jaegars)

the "good" part comes far too late. and its still one of the easiest games in the world. it literally holds your hand through half the game, and even throughout the "free roam" it was more like "multiple paths" instead of an open world. this would've been a great spin off. But the extreme focus on graphics, stupid Crystal Tools not meant to be an engine that allowed open world. How incredibly fast paced battles are without really losing much.

What more back story is there? the problem with XIII is they decided to make a novelization of the backstory, and even then theres no difference to what you see in XIII. I hate Lightning with a passion. She's a selfish character at first with little development for her to suddenly change her mind and become nice to snow.

But whats worst is the characters like lightning, serah, and vanille. a lot of times we didn't see these characters grow on their own, we instead see forced events. Hope and Sahz are the only characters that had a sense of belonging.

Serah happened to become a l'cie. and because of that her boyfriend (who she didn't date very long) decided to get marry. lightning doesn't have to be a jerk in that scenario. any brother or sister would've been like "get real!"

Sahz is a good character, but i hate that people like the comedic side more than his serious side.

personally, we have had enough of XIII. and at a bigger plain, XIII series hates itself. XIII was too linear, barely any need for strategy to pass the game, heavily focused on an "optional" idea. So if you ejoy ranking system, you're gonna love the whole thing. If you dont care about rankings in battle (which is ridiculous by the way) you wont enjoy the stupid paradigm shift because thats what the paradigm is for, to find a way to get 5 stars (which the majority of the time you'll get 4 stars anyways, so all it does is take a little more effort)

XIII is the worst Final Fantasy game EVER. And this is only in the main titles. if this was its own spin off, then great, let it be its own thing. but no, it's numbered, its part of the 14 other games that offered ten times more than XIII ever had.

but then again, you like X-2. which was still pretty bad. and you use that to relate to LR: FFXIII. so it's kind of like enjoying something, not for the whole thing, but one thing particular already makes you bias enough to like it.

Back