English: D
Japanese: A

Basch (Gideon Emery)

Larsa (Johnny McKeown)

If you disagree, then please post your grades on the voice acting of the characters. Voice acting is the most important part of video games.

Should I blame the director who makes all of these characters bad voices?

I don't know - maybe you should write an angry letter to the localisation staff or something? :monster:

It sounds like to me that you just don't like English voices in general and would much rather stick with the Japanese version. I'm not referring to you here, but in general, this is one thing that gets me when it's automatically assumed that the Japanese voice work is better, because unless one speaks and understands Japanese fluently, you can't for certain judge it on merits similar to how you would judge a voice actor who speaks in a language you do understand. It merely boils down to a case of which voicework is less annoying in a JRPG, and I find that most of the time, I cannot tolerate that excessively high-pitched Japanese female voice of a rather submissive kind of deredere or moe character.

I find the English voice acting in FFXII to be the best in the series, largely also because they work off that excellent translation script that seems sadly rather underrated. True, I haven't properly listened to the Japanese voices to fairly compare, but no one in FFXII seemed to do a bad job, aside from Penelo's voice actress sounding like she is saying "Dumb-ass-ka" instead of Dalmasca and Ashe's constant gasping as if she desperately needs a respirator. I thought Balthier's voice actor nailed it perfectly well, and I quickly grew to like Fran's. Okay, Larsa threw me off because the guy is supposed to be 12 and I've never heard a 12 year old sounding like that, but I blame someone else for that. The file compressions dull the quality of the voices, making them sound like they were being spoken in a tiny, echoed room, but again, that was barely a bother for me and didn't detract from the general high standards of the voice acting cast.

Now, FFXIII on the other hand? Ali Hillis, who could only muster a dull, apathetic drone for Lightning, which was awfully appropriate for the character. Oh, Troy Baker. You're a very capable voice actor, man, but now we'll all remembering you as Snow with that diabolical script to work with. Poor guy.

Vaan (Bobby Edner)

English: B
Japanese: B

Fran (Nicole Fantl)

English: A

Balthier (Gideon Emery)

English: S

Penelo (Catherine Taber)

English: C
Japanese: C

Ashe (Kari Wahlgren)

Basch (Keith Ferguson)

English: A

Larsa (Johnny McKeown)

Sorry, but I recognize just about every one of the Japanese seiyuu, and I've heard them so many times that it becomes hard to identify the characters with them.

For me it's As all round, With merit and distinction for Cid, Balthier and Fran. If you compare it the the voice acting in X X-2 and XIII, Cutscenes and spoken dialogue sound like shakespearian verse.

I've never heard the Japanese voices, but I really dug all the English ones. Except for Fran. My god, her voice was horribly annoying to me. The whole Fran character in general was just annoying and boring.

Anyway, all the Americans get an A from me. Except Fran. She gets an F.

eeerm wha??

I'd believe you some other time, but TC, you're bashing the game where Balthier and Basch were in it! their voices were amazing, and, more than anything, BELIEVABLE!
Vaan was the annoying one (and penelo)...then again his character per se annoys me and a lot of other people due to his non-relevance to anything: his japanese voice actor is no different to me.

As someone said above, I'd take your criticism if you were a fluent Japanese speaker! for all intents and purposes, if I hear it with no subs I'll hear women sound too high and whiny and men either sound to low or screaming like Goku!

so what you're saying

is that english voice actors suck

I don't know why people get upset with voice actors. They might not be ideal for a character in your opinion, but I think that a lot of people would be hard pressed to say that they could do a better job.

I felt like the VAs were fine for the game. Very well done.

But honestly though? I never want to hear Liam O'Brien's voice ever again. I would live happier if I never had to hear his voice ever again. The butthurt of so many wasted hours still persists.

He can be Illidan Stormrage if he wants to be, but otherwise he had better shut the hell up. :mokken:

I loved the voice acting in Final Fantasy XII with two exception: Marquis Halim Ondore always sounded odd to me and with Al-Cid Margrace Final Fantasy XII almost lost its credibility. Especially the voices of Gabranth, Balthier and Fran appeared very interesting to me.

Judge Magister Gabranth:
Perfect. Easily the best voice in th game.

Dr. Cid:
Amazing.

Balthier:
Amazing.

Judge Zargabath:
Amazing (SIMON TEMPLEMAN!!!!! Only isn't up there in the Perfection category due to small role)

Fran:
Yuck. That "accent".

My favorite voice in XII would be Balthier, Fran, and Basch.

I think their voices fit perfectly with their roles and designs. Balthier's heavy posh accent was the best for me. I mean afterall he is the leading man.

I was fine with pretty much all the voices. Especially Basch and Balthier. Fran's voice was kind of... bland, though I suppose that matches her character.
Oddly enough, Vaan wasn't really that good, but Edner did a great job in Dissidia 012. Strange indeed. I have a natural bias against Penelo just because of her character lol. Nothing against Cat Taber, just I tend to dislike the "cheerful young girl" character trend that started early on

A-

I think that XII has the best voice acting in the Whole series when it comes to Final Fantasy games with VA's. Much better than FF X/ FF X-2 and FF XIII/ 2/ LR

What the hell? :vikki:

*10 points from Gryffindor*

Jokes on you ! I'm Slytherin house !

tumblr_lpjt8m8LHO1r0xxmqo1_r2_500.gif

Sorry but thought that FF 13's was kinda average, but better than FF 10's. FF 12 did it best. But opinions.

The file compressions dull the quality of the voices, making them sound like they were being spoken in a tiny, echoed room, but again, that was barely a bother for me and didn't detract from the general high standards of the voice acting cast.

This actually bugs the hell out of me. Side note: nothing like resurrecting a dead topic AMIRITE?

I honestly feel the voice actors did a great job, I'm just disappointed in the production value of it. It's as if the audio levels peaked and the whole take was corrupted by it. Which is a pretty easy mistake to make if you're new to this kind of thing, but you'd think Square Enix would've held a higher standard to it.

Revisiting this game right now actually, and I have to say the script is quite a lot better than I remembered it being. Perhaps it's because I'm older now and can understand it better. It is rather Shakespearean. And the voice actors did a wonderful job. This is about the English version too, that the OP seems to have disdain for.

I believe all the characters deserve an A rating. I love how ff12's voice acting doesn't sound like the typical voices you hear in other JRPGs. Vaan was sort of bland but itbhad a subtle charm. Everyone sounded more realistic.

Granted, FF12 tried to push a dialogue of it's own more in western version, but it was done really well.

But boy does Fran's voice annoy me. Its not her accent, but her actual voice. Super raspy. I think she's the only exception and deserves a B or C rating.

Don't really get the hate for Fran's voice. But I think we can all agree that Gabranth's voice was amazing, S+ performance right there.

The English cast FAR surpassed the Japanese in my opinion (which very rarely happens).

I wasn't blown away by Vaan, but he was decent enough. I absolutely LOVED Fran and Balthier's VA work. Basch, Penelo, Ashe, and Larsa I liked as well.

This really is one of the very, very few times that I will have say English VA>Japanese VA. They even used the English audio in IZJS. ;P

Back