Gambit Preference and Playstyle?

ConZa

Other Son of Jecht
Gil
Hi Guys. New to the site and don't use forums very often so forgive me if I do something I shouldn't be :s.

I want to know whether or not people use Gambits and if so how do you have your gambits set up. If you don't use Gambits how do you go about killing stuff? do you get use (as in use use... party leader use) your caster to run in and pull or get everyone to run in all at once no heals, no spells just hoping for awesome combo's so that you don't all die?

Personally, I make my leader the caster (Fran or Penelo i don't use Ashe, no idea why) and I make Basch or Vaan run in to try and take the hits so that poor Penelo doesnt get beat up. Balthier just does what he wants, he's generally beserk'd anyway :)

Depends on what I'm doing. I often delete all the gambits for my active party members depending on what I'm out to accomplish.

Usually ends up being something based off of this...

Vaan:
Ally HP = Critical X-Potion/Potion
Ally HP < 20% Cura
Various status ailment conditions and cures
Self Haste
Self Berserk
Self Bubble (if learned)
Foe Any Attack
Foe Flying some random spell or technik

Fran:
Ally HP < 20% Curaga
Ally HP < 50% Cura
Self Bubble (if learned)
Self Haste
Foe Oil strongest Fire spell
Foe Sleep Steal
Foe Any Attack

Basch:
Ally HP < 20% Cura
Self Haste
Self Libra
Self Bubble (if learned)
Self Berserk
Foe Any Attack
Foe Flying some random spell or technik

My first few times playing the game I tried to make a 'one size fits all' set that could take on any part of the game. At my best playthrough I had Vaan/Basch as melee tanks with only critical healing gambits, Fran/Penelo as bow/staff black magic users, and Ashe/Balthier as either long range attackers or buffers. The setup works decently for fodder enemies and some of the weaker bosses, but you'll need to change it up to suit Esper fights and the like. The biggest problems I had were balancing MP usage.

I was able to find a good gambit set for literally 95% of the game's battles. But it was on my first play-through almost 6 years ago and I recently made the mistake of deleting the extra save with those Gambits set... I've been trying to reproduce them since. lol

I agree on the MP, early in the game it isn't as hard because of finding plenty of crystals and you don't really have many spells to use. During the middle part of the game is where it is the most difficult to maintain a good "mage"-like gambit character due to lack of MP curatives and the crystals aren't as easily obtainable for a short time. Still, once you get the MP < % gambits it shouldn't be that difficult. :)

It wasn't that the gambit system was unappealing to me, cause it was appealing to me, but I just found it very difficult to get used to at first. After I experimented with it for a while, I found myself being able to use it efficiently. The style I preferred differed with the battles I would partake in. Usually I just chose what felt right.

Hell Wyrm 1.jpgHell Wyrm 2.jpg

This is not my regular gambit but the gambit that I used when I fought Hell Wyrm, Fafnir, and King Behemoth, and when the time comes, my battle against Yiazmat.

Using this gambit I manage to defeat Hell Wyrm in 1 hour and Fafnir and King Behemoth in 10 and 15 minutes.

Playstyle wise I use all the characters, each with different Classes, which occasionally upgraded (represented by >) as the game progressed to certain points.

Fran: Thief/Time mage. I had her using Daggers.
> Ninja/Time Mage. I then had her use Katanas and some Dark Magick.

Balthier: Warrior. He uses swords and all Tecqnicks. Lightly armoured.
> Knight. Greatswords and Heavy armour.

Basche: Dragoon/Dark mage. He used Spears, obviously. Not sure if I will upgrade him yet.

Vaan: Gunmage. Guns, obviously, and all green magicks, with some occasional white magicks.

Penelo: Black mage

Ashe: Red mage. Primarily White magick, and more summons, but occasional black magick.

All my characters have a single Esper relating to their classes, apart from Ashe who has five. I rarely use Espers... but it adds a nice touch to my game :)

Occasionally, when training their levels, I use only two at a time. I find it more of a challenge this way.

I didn't really set up my gambits strategically. I always use Balthier and Ashe and then either have Basch or Vaan. I gave all of them the gambits Foe - Party Leader's Target - Attack followed by Foe - Nearest visible - Attack. I used to have Ally - HP 70% - Curaja/Cura for one of the characters but now I just like to heal manually most of the time for some reason. I didn't feel like getting creative with the gambits throughout the game.

Back