So I started a "No Crystarium" challenge...

Samy

Gil
Well after 5 hours of shroud farming I can finally start this challenge :)

I thought it might be a fun thing to do whilst I wait to get XIII-2.

My question is though, what's everyone's opinion on these sort challenges? Do you find them fun?

And if any of you have any tips for me for this challenge feel free to share :P I'm going to try not using any guides unless I absolutely have to.

I'm also going to be uploading my progress on YouTube, I'm not sure about the rules on posting links and channels here yet so I won't put them here until I re-read the rules :D

Good luck with the challenge. Maybe a challenge like this is something I should think about to force me to replay XIII. These challenges can be fun depending on the game I feel. I enjoy them more when they are utilised for an action-rpg's over traditional j-rpg's just because the fighting/battling is a lot more intense that way. My top tip would be to take regular breaks so as not to explode and destroy your tv ;)

Haha don't worry about that, MANY breaks will be taken throughout this challenge :P

My question is though, what's everyone's opinion on these sort challenges? Do you find them fun?

Honestly, it's not really for me. I've always liked the aspect of progression and upgrading. In FFIX, there were people who'd remain at level one the whole game (the enemies toughness stays in tune with yours).
I guess it's all about the challenge rather then the fun, I just don't do it.

I don't get how anyone can do these challenges, I know I definitely couldn't. If you can, more power to ya. I'd be too impatient, and the feeling of getting one hit killed the whole game and restarting would get annoying to me real fast. I might look up on YouTube though how these gamers do it though and see what their reaction are to dying so much.

Good luck on your journey!

I decided I would try this as well as it's the only thing I have yet to accomplish in this game. Hopefully I don't shatter my controller during this because these gameovers will drive me up the wall. So I'm definitely prepared to take plenty of breaks throughout this. I'm just now starting the shroud farming with them Panthers in Chapter 2, time to hit it!

Any progress? I decided to bite the bullet on a different challenge that I've been considering for a while (primaries capped at stage 6, secondaries unlimited, no equipment upgrades) and I've just started on my shroud farming.

Nicely done man, good luck with the challenge!
As of now I just started Chapter 4 and I'm trying to farm Aegisol's, but these fucking things won't drop for shit. The guide told me that the very first area where it's just Hope and Lightning is a good place to farm by fighting the single Thexteron but he hasn't dropped a damn thing :/

So getting zero stars gets them to drop? How the fuck does that work? I thought 5 stars=better drop rate? :hmmm:

So getting zero stars gets them to drop? How the fuck does that work? I thought 5 stars=better drop rate? :hmmm:
5 stars gets you better rare drop rates. 0 stars gets you the best shroud drop rates. Works like this:

StarsRare ChanceShroud Chance
0nilx8
1nilx4
2nilx2
3x1x1
4x3x1
5x5x1

Base shroud drop rate goes down by chapter. In chapter 2 it was 12%, so getting 0 stars gave you a 96% chance at a shroud. In chapter 4 it's only 6%, so 0 stars gets you a 48% chance at a shroud. By chapter 11 the base shroud rate is down to 0.3%. More info here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shroud

5 stars gets you better rare drop rates. 0 stars gets you the best shroud drop rates. Works like this:

StarsRare ChanceShroud Chance
0nilx8
1nilx4
2nilx2
3x1x1
4x3x1
5x5x1

Base shroud drop rate goes down by chapter. In chapter 2 it was 12%, so getting 0 stars gave you a 96% chance at a shroud. In chapter 4 it's only 6%, so 0 stars gets you a 48% chance at a shroud. By chapter 11 the base shroud rate is down to 0.3%. More info here: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shroud

Nicely done, thanks a ton man! I figured the drop rate for everything would be the same. Shows what my dumbass knows :neomon: I'm going with the guide and getting 30 of each shroud. Hopefully thats enough because they said to farm that amount to be fine. It feels weird with the basic thought process now being to avoid fighting as much as possible. This will take some time to get used to lol.

Well I just now arrived at the Gapra Whitewood and saved it. I haven't really had any difficulty so far. The dreadnaught was kinda easy outside of his wrecking ball attack. I've mainly been running and not fighting and trying to limit my encounters to as little as possible. I did have alot of trouble with the 2 bombs though when you have to activate those 4 control panels with Sazh and Vanille. Them 2 things kept whipping my ass. I had to bite the bullet and use 1 of my shrouds because them bastards just weren't dying:/
Now I get to face Bulbasaur(GOTTA CATCH'EM ALL!), and shortly after that, Enki and Enlill..... I'm so pumped.....

Last edited:
Nice! I played my game NCU up to Dreadnought, and wound up spending CP there because Wrecking Ball kept killing me. Those Bombs are vicious when you're under strength. I went through the early chapters pretty quickly (aside from no upgrades, it's been a normal playthrough). I just reached chapter 10, which is to say, the point where my game starts to be a challenge. Time to start figuring out which secondaries to develop first.

Good luck with Bulby and the dogs!

Yeah them bombs were nasty. They kept self destructing and killing my ass for atleast a good 15 minutes straight :rage:
Thankfully I got lucky and they got side by side each other and killed themselves lol.
Bulbasaur is seriously driving me crazy! I get him half way dead and its like my characters decide to suddenly troll me and die. This bastard is giving me fits
:banghead:
Nice! Good luck on your challenge! (y)

Wow was he a handful and then some. It took me well over a dozen tries to beat this fool. There were lots of times I'd have his health down to the end of target, and he'd kill Hope with a shot, then Lightning. I literally fell out of my chair onto my knees and just sat there the last time he killed me. He was a pain!!!

Honestly, Enki and Enlill were cake. Which really surprised me. All I did was level up the Deneb Duellers to level 12, max out both my silver bangles, and follow this strategy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SKlHuM3nA

It took me around 9 minutes and 50 seconds to beat them. I mainly stayed in War and Peace, and would switch to dual casting every now and then. A little buff here and a little debuff there and they were gone.

Last edited:
That's a cool strategy for Enki & Enlil. Glad you finally got past Bulby!

I zipped through the chapter 10 bosses and Alexander without much problem. I was only a little under level for them. I did some farming on the Behemoth King/Megistotherian fight to get CP for secondary roles, and now I'm working my way through some missions to pick up useful accessories like Platinum Bangles. Ugallu gave me some fits until I went with a preemptive strike + Quake (to max the duration of the preempt stagger). I'm now saved in the vicinity of Bituitus. That fight is going to be interesting.

Thanks man! That flying robot you fight with Snow and Hope was pretty fun too. I personally kept Snow as a Sentinel and let Hope be the ravager/medic, and then I'd go to War and Peace for a bit. I couldnt really do much fighting with both Hope and Snow, granted I had protect on both of them but he just kept teeing off on us :/

Ah the good ole Ugallu. That's the big ass wolf right? I honestly don't remember alot of the bosses in this game because it's been so long since I played XIII. And only doing 1 playthrough doesnt exactly help me remember anybody either :/
Good luck the rest of the way!

a no crystarium challenge is ok. I personally don't like to add self-made challenges unless i've already beaten the game with satisfaction.

Honestly I'm having alot of fun with it. I never really utilized all of the roles until now because there really wasn't many situations that was that tough that I had to.

true....but to the point where you have to force the game to make it where you want it to be by not utilizing the key features seems like its like you're making the game, not SE. i'm more of a consumer and a reviewer to actually do that (don't get me wrong i do) but it's just not the type of game i would play.

i perfer a game that forces me to play it their way because any other way might mess me up. Basically "teach me your moves" is what i want them to do. not "see, this is what you could've done".

Back